Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Kayak fishing OTF?

Do many of you fly fish off your kayak? I was interested in trying it, but it must be alot different than fishing from the surf right? I feel like when you are low near the water that you wouldn't get as good a cast as if you were on the shore. Is this true? What's a good weight setup for yak fishing the bays and harbors? I'm sure nobody fly fishes in open water right?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

There are a few of us die-hard fly fishermen on this forum. I never leave the beach without at least one fly rod on board.
Yes, you are a bit limited in cast distance while sitting in a kayak - but since you can position yourself in prime fish areas, a long cast is not usually required.
In the bay when there is no wake activity from power boats, I will stand in my PA and make casts. I always bring a 6 and 8 weight setup in the bays, and only occasionally the 10 weight to throw larger flies and streamers. In the ocean - yes - I also fly fish off the kelp in open water, I predominately use the 10 weight.
Give it a try - you'll have a blast.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
taggermike

I havent fly fished in long time but this still may be helpful. You can use long rods on a kayak. I cast 9 and 10 foot jigs sticks from a seated position in a kayak. A fly rod should work fine. Have a stripping basket in your lap and keep the bow area clear. The path of you rod and targeting area may be limited. Being right handed I find casting a jig stick with other rods behind me forces me to move the rod from around 4:00 at the start to around 10:00 at the end. A fly rod may be similar. If the casting line isn't right a few paddle strokes will correct it. Casting Distance is reduced, but like Baja_Traveler said, you can just set up closer. Go for it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Rocketfish

Wow guys, good to hear, as I've always wanted to try fly fishing. A guy at work brought his setup for me to try in our warehouse, and it was a blast casting.

As for the stripping basket, is that necessary? I was thinking of just stripping line and letting it float to my left in the water.

Finally, here's an important question. Does fly fishing off your kayak seem to provide any advantage over a traditional baitcaster or spinning reel setup with a swimbait? do you guys notice whether or not fishing OTF yields better results at all?

I want to pick up a 6 or 8 wt setup at that swap meet coming up this Saturday. Hopefully I find something good and inexpensive since I'm just trying this out.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

There is no advantage to using a fly rod at all - in fact it borderlines on being a disadvantage since you are cast limited, cant change cast direction much once committed to the back cast and re-casting takes more time. But that is why I love it - more challenge and tradition, the same reason I shoot black powder rifles...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
There is no advantage to using a fly rod at all - in fact it borderlines on being a disadvantage since you are cast limited, cant change cast direction much once committed to the back cast and re-casting takes more time. But that is why I love it - more challenge and tradition, the same reason I shoot black powder rifles...
Good to know. The reason I'd love to try it is mainly to make flies. I think there is something awesome to be said about fooling a fish to eat something you actually MADE, with crazy material like hairs and feathers haha.

OK, thanks for giving me stuff to think about. At the least, I may buy a fly rod for surf fishing since it's all about the cast.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

You could always stand and fish off a SUP like the L2Fish from Live Watersports. I feel comfortable casting my fly rod in the bays and you can rig up a leaning bar so that you can cast long distances and cast in a swell or boat wakes with no problem. Check it out on instagram : #L2FISH #Livewatersports

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
You could always stand and fish off a SUP like the L2Fish from Live Watersports. I feel comfortable casting my fly rod in the bays and you can rig up a leaning bar so that you can cast long distances and cast in a swell or boat wakes with no problem. Check it out on instagram : #L2FISH #Livewatersports
wow Bernie that looks like a lot of fun. that is not an ordinary SUP that they use though. very cool nonetheless.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
Mahigeer

One advantage of fly fishing from a kayak VS the surf, is that you can position yourself to have the wind behind you.

While surf fly fishing, most of the time the wind is in your face and against casting. Even with sinking line, long rods, etc. .

The challenge is what makes fly fishing worthwhile.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
acorad

Hi guys, sorry to post on such an old thread, but I'm new to the forum and I have been fly fishing off a kayak recently.

I've gotten Cuda, Calico, and Bonito off kelp beds. Weed-free hooks are very helpful there.

I got my first Bonito a couple days ago. I thought Calico fought hard, crazy how strong Bonito fight!

Now I'm trying to figure out if Yellowtail are possible OTF of a kayak.

Any suggestions?

It seems like it would be very difficult to find YT unless they were on a bait boil?

Anyway, I'm really happy I found this site!

Best,

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Gr8fuldude

Acorad the summer of 98 I had a blast catching rat yellowtail on the flyrod. We'd find paddies, chum up the fish with a handful of anchovies, and then catch them on the fly. That was all on a boat though. It'd would be hard to hook a yellowtail flyfishing on a kayak, but if you did it you could definitely have something to brag about. Heck if ever there were a year to do it, it'd be this one
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
acorad

Thanks Gr8ful, I think chumming the fish up could be the ticket!

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
domtesta27

Acorad all I do is fly fish out of Ventura county. Check out fliflicker.com it's only ocean fly fisherman mostly out of SD. A good amount of yellows were caught inside NPH this year on the fly. Some of those crazy bastards even use 3 and 4 weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
domtesta27

Oh and a stripping basket is your best friend on the kayak fyi especially with shooting heads

Old 11-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
fishing md

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Do many of you fly fish off your kayak? I was interested in trying it, but it must be alot different than fishing from the surf right? I feel like when you are low near the water that you wouldn't get as good a cast as if you were on the shore. Is this true? What's a good weight setup for yak fishing the bays and harbors? I'm sure nobody fly fishes in open water right?
I been trying to have a fly's only tournament in San diego bay on kayaks ANY TAKERS ??????????? 25$ 100% pay back to biggest fish!!!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
domtesta27

That would be sick!!! I haven't fished SD bay yet you should start a new thread and see how much response u get