Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Salton Sea report!

Well I didn't catch a seabass like everyone else did this weekend but I did catch some tilapia out at the salton sea! Don't everybody get too excited now..........!

Left the house about 2:00am and arrived at the sea about 5:30 and it was already warm...but nice.

Got all ready to launch, and noticed the people on shore already catching'em 2 at a time.....

Before even getting wet I was already suprised to find that it didn't stink like hell...actually it didn't smell at all. And the air wasn't thick with flies...there was one here and there but no more than you would find in your own backyard. The water appeared to be clean and was clear in the shallows.

Fishing wise, couldn't find any fish deeper than about 3' it seemed like all the fish were packed up tight to the shoreline. I think I read the o2 is in the shallows close to the beach from the wave action....or something like that.... Night crawlers are king for this place, couldn't get a single fish on the gulp sandworm....and almost everything eats a sandworm!!! Found a shallow spot next to the jetty and was getting them pretty steady at times. We ended up catching all we could ever want even after releasing the smaller ones.

We fished until 10:30, it got unbelieveably hot! Strapping the kayaks down in 100 degree heat is not fun. I was sweat'n so hard it was hard to see.

Yep, was a fun trip, Id do it again just maybe when it's not so damn hot !

Tony.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
roby
CEO of Team Roby

You do all kinds of fishing my man. From 5 day trips on the RP to the Salton Sea, from bluegill in the fresh water to wsb in La Jolla. You are always finding places to pull on some fish....

It's great to see the pictures of the place. I always wondered....thanks for sharing.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
ericko

i might need to make a trip ,my mother always orders talapia when i take her out for dinner..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
i might need to make a trip ,my mother always orders talapia when i take her out for dinner..
I'd be up for another trip but definitely when it cools down, it's just too damn hot out there! Maybe in the fall or the early winter.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
taggermike

Thanks for the great report. I miss that place, but since the corvina faded away it's been too depressing to go back there. I used to fish a paddle board there and people thought I was crazy. A little bit ya, but with 2 gallons of gatoraid I knocked some big orange mouths out there. If you want to try some thing nice go there during a full moon and paddle and fish at night. That's the call when it's super hot. I might need to get out there for old times sake, plus those tilapia fight hard on light takle and taste damn good. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote