Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
Kahouna

I looked through a few pictures to confirm. Yep, GW. No doubt. The kiddo was looking over my shoulder and verified (a 9 year-old never lies right?).

Now for the million dollar question...what made him interested in our yak and not all the others. There wasn't anything untoward that others weren't doing. The only thing I could come up with is the lube I use on my pedals. I had just treated both and that was the first time both had been out there at the same time. I doubt I use anything anyone else uses (Kroil). So far...red is the only thing?
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #42
Whizz Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
i launched @ 3am today, and was in our little group on the way out this morning...I thought we were all still right next to one another, when i was rear ended full speed from what i thought @ the time was my buddy Andrew. I almost lost both my rods and some gear thrown completly out of my yak from the harsh impact. I flipped on my headlamp instantly, to see which buddy just rammed me?...but when i got a audible response from my friends, their voice was clearly over 50 yards away...
Are you sure you were not rear ended by your desire to catch a large fish? It has happened to me a more than a few times. Just asking.

Last edited by Whizz Bang; 06-16-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #43
dorado50

I've heard the color red is "bad ju-ju" on the water..... glad you got out safely.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #44
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Sharks have a bad rep from hollyweird. First, they are unpredictable. Second they are unpredictable. Third, They are unpredictable. They will cruise and check you out. If you look/smell like a tasty meal they might just bump you to see what you are. They are one of the apex animals in the ocean and are still here for a reason. Yeah, sharks are unpredictable.

or you can go with the Rob Schneider quote from 50 First Dates:

"Sharks are like dogs, they only bite when you touch their private parts"

Anyways, I consider my self lucky to see a shark of any kind at this time. I don't believe in the red kayak attracts sharks thinking.

Cheers

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahouna View Post
Now for the million dollar question...what made him interested in our yak and not all the others. There wasn't anything untoward that others weren't doing. The only thing I could come up with is the lube I use on my pedals. I had just treated both and that was the first time both had been out there at the same time. I doubt I use anything anyone else uses (Kroil). So far...red is the only thing?
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #45
RK

I saw a Huge shark today in LJ not sure what it was but it was grey and probably twenty feet long. kept investigating me, getting real close to my kayak, then he just ate a seal and went away
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #46
Jimm H

Consider a proper radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Can someone remind me what is the emergency channel on those handheld Cobra radios? I think it's 19, but I'm not sure. Thanks.
Not GWS related (I hope), I would just like to know.
Aaron

Please consider properly equipping with a JIS7 or better hand held MARINE radio. They are about $100 at West Marine, and will be received by the CG. Your Ch. 19 "emergency band" on your CB may well be heard by no one, and most likely won't work when you need it because it got wet.

Kayakers spend hundreds on a single rod/reel combo.... think about spending a few bucks on your safety... then you will probably never need it.

Thanks for allowing me the rant

BTW, saw an 18ft. estimate GW in Feb 2004 North of the pier (60ft depth) after two previous confirmed sightings a week earlier.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #47
flydigital

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
I saw a Huge shark today in LJ not sure what it was but it was grey and probably twenty feet long. kept investigating me, getting real close to my kayak, then he just ate a seal and went away
Today I had a HUGE mark on my sonar down about 40ft that was obviously not kelp.... at first it was one huge semi-arc. Then it lined and slowly very slowly over about 2 minutes came closer and closer until it hit surface clutter and I couldn't track it... but I held onto the rails of my kayak and braced for impact, thinking it was a big shark, or maybe a whale. Never saw the mark after that. Have never seen anything like it. I've metered sea lions, and this was about 3-5 times the size on the meter.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #48
RK

Thats really scary it sounds like he/or she is targeting kayakers and private boats
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #49
knightnsd

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
there's giant schools of 40lb seabass swimming everywhere...

more like 50#ers!![/QUOTE]

The large WSB's are being trolled by some large white sharks for kayakers!!!
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #50
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
I don't believe in the red kayak attracts sharks thinking.
I can't say for sure, but when there were tons of blacktip sharks swimming around under my RED and yellow surfboard, I was sure thinking about it. I believe the colors red and yellow also attracts mosquitoes. Needless to say, that was my last red surfboard.
I did see a Great White shark at LJ while making bait under the lights of the pier. Swam under my kayak and scared all the fish away. Fascinating to see, no doubt what kind of shark it was. Looked surreal in the dark under the artificial light.
As we say in the business "Feet Up!"
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #51
yaksailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
RED and yellow surfboard, I was sure thinking about it. I believe the colors red and yellow also attracts mosquitoes.
Shoot, red and yellow make ME hungry. McDonald's, In-n-Out, Carl's Jr, Wendy's and Pizza Hut can't be wrong.

In a pinch, I munch on my red and yellow jigheads OTW.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #52
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
I don't believe in the red kayak attracts sharks thinking.
Have you seen this one:

http://www.adventurekayakmag.com/blo...-in-socal.html
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #53
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
Please consider properly equipping with a JIS7 or better hand held MARINE radio.....
Heck just invest in some trusty shark repellent...

Works for sharks or any other nasty critters you're likely to encounter.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #54
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Jim - You are such a pirate! Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

Jim
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #55
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

Jim
I didn't see you say you had a S&W J frame in the "whats in your vest" thread!
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #56
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I didn't see you say you had a S&W J frame in the "whats in your vest" thread!
We can't share all our secrets online

I'll say one thing: You put a 38 slug through the dorsal of a white that's chewwing on the end of your kayak, you're not going to really injure it, but it will leave you alone.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #57
Kahouna

Good stuff guys. Now you are entering my realm of options. I just don't want to have to clean it after going in the drink on the return. I wonder how well the scandium mini S&W's would hold up? If not, I'll track down the mariner model Mossburg 500 and load some good loads, mount a rack next to the gaff...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #58
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahouna View Post
I looked through a few pictures to confirm. Yep, GW. No doubt. The kiddo was looking over my shoulder and verified (a 9 year-old never lies right?).
Wouldn't ask, but since you mentioned, would you care to share a few pics with all of us inquiring minds?

There's been lots of makos moving in with all this life we got lately at LJ, some of them pretty big. Could it be mako you guys saw? Bigger ones are hard to tell apart from GWS, especially in the water. Not that it makes much defference, fear factor wise.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #59
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
Wouldn't ask, but since you mentioned, would you care to share a few pics with all of us inquiring minds?
x2
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #60
Kahouna

Sorry guys, looked at some pictures online. I wish I would have been able to get some footage sooo bad. For what it's worth, we should be going out again wed/thurs if anyone wants to loan me a gopro...