Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
pbb

Lake Cuyamaca Sunday (7/27)?

I'm going to be camping near Lake Cuyamaca this weekend.

Anyone who knows Lake Cuyamaca interested in joining me on Sunday?

I'm not familiar with the turf, so I probably won't pony up the fees for washing the kayak and putting it in unless I hook up with someone who knows the area a bit.

I'm more interested in targeting Trout than catfish or bass.

Last year I rented a row boat and threw some spinners for a while until it started raining on me and I was getting no nibbles, so I called it a day.

I'm kind of prejudiced against using powerbait and similar dough baits, having grown up on spinners. Not that I ever caught a ton of fish as a kid.

If you know what will work, I will try it.

With the yak, I might be tempted to cover some ground and troll a spinner with a small flasher.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Widgeon

Sounds like fun. You may have some luck trolling a spinner. If I remember correctly, people do well fishing from shore near the dam. Might also be good fishing nearby in a yak.
Stop by the tackle shop and ask them what's working on the troll.
Good luck.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've never fished Cuyamaca, but for trout anywhere I'd go with either a nightcrawler floated off the bottom or a med/small silver Kastmaster lure.

If that don't work (it should) then I might resort to trying powerbait, marshmallow, or salmon eggs.

I think the trick is always finding the depth they are at depending on time of year/water temp.

I agree with Widgeon, the tackle shop will give you the best info for what's working and where to go.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
fisher_4_life

PM sent.

Cuyamaca holds lots of trout and many bigs ones at that. Caught these two a couple months ago on a spoon. One on the troll and one just drifting and casting the same area.

fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
5-20

How do those trout taste?

I've never been that crazy about some of the other farm raised trout I've eaten in the past, mostly from PA. Was wondering if the ones in the lakes around here taste any better or if it's pretty noticeable they're farm raised.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
fisher_4_life

It depends on where the plant was from. Certain trout farms have better tasting fish in my opinion. Those two were actually pretty good eating.
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
nacho66

I haven't fished Cuyumaca in a few years however always did well close to the Lone Pine tree. Used what we used to call a Serria Special. 18" leader with either a marshmello/powerbbait with a half worm and a salmon egg on top... Also used Trout Teazer/Lip Ripper mini jigs on a floating egg bobber on the slow retrieve. Nice lake... If I get my trailer rigged I may head up. will pm you by Friday.

Tigh Lines
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
tacmik

I've had good luck trolling a small rapala fire tiger behind the yak. The only problem with Cuyamaca is if the wind comes up. Other than that, it is such a small lake that it is real easy to cover it with a yak. Well worth taking it and paying the 10 bucks to have it washed down. If fishing more than 1 day, they will put a seal on your paddle so you don't have to pay to wash it down again.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
pbb

So I picked up a jar of yellow sparkly floating powerbait at a thrift store for $0.25, so if all else fails, I can get off my high horse and resort to the doughy stuff.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
Fishwhisperer619

Trolling near the dam buoy line with spinners and small countdown rapalas have produced for me. The slower the better but I dont have an exact speed range to give you. Never caught big ones there from shore but I get limits almost every other trip at the lone pine area with night crawlers. Good luck! Ill be camping there early august.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
pbb

So I checked with the "Ranger" at the bait shop on Saturday, and she told me that the fishing was slow for trout due to the high temps. Since her businesses is selling fishing permits and boat rentals, I took her at her word and didn't pony up the $$$ to fish...