Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
CardShark

Advice for Channel Islands Harbor

Before attempting any surf launching, I thought it would be smart to get comfortable actually fishing in my new Stealth 12. I live in Thousand Oaks so I think the easiest place would probably be Channel Islands Harbor but I'm open to suggestions.

I fished the area in my float tube about 2 years ago but got skunked throwing Big Hammers up and down near the Kidde Beach area

Not looking for honey holes but does anyone have any tips for the area or general spots we can target?
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
captnblood34

Keep doing that in the other direction. More so towards the mouth of the bay instead of that small beach.

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
CardShark

Went out last week for the first time and got skunked, not even a hit. Both of us were dragging a full squid on sliding sinker setup while throwing Big Hammers with the other rod.

We worked our way from the Kidde Beach to the mouth of the harbor but it looked a bit rough out there so didn't venture any further. Worked our way back into the harbor up to Channel Islands Sportfishing.

Even though we didn't catch anything, it was really nice to get out there and see how the kayak handled. I don't have any experience on another kayak but I felt really stable in it.

One thing I really hated on my Stealth 12 though is the placement of the rod holders on the sides of the kayak. It was really awkward to get to the one behind my seat and the one forward of the seat is too far forward. Anyone with a Stealth 12 have any remedies?

Going to give it another shot next week so hopefully we have better luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Keep doing that in the other direction. More so towards the mouth of the bay instead of that small beach.

J
Old 05-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

I had a stealth 12th for a while great harbor yak I put a Scotty rod hold in front of the cup holder and one on the bait tank hatch... or you could make something like this for behind the seat

Also if you take it offshore/inshore you might want to put a bilge pump in as the side hatches leak I had one in mine and it saved me a few times... Especially if you're planning on doing surf launches
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post
I had a stealth 12th for a while great harbor yak I put a Scotty rod hold in front of the cup holder and one on the bait tank hatch...

Also if you take it offshore/inshore you might want to put a bilge pump in as the side hatches leak I had one in mine and it saved me a few times... Especially if you're planning on doing surf launches
Thanks for the advice yak-fishing-socal.

I like the idea of the Scotty on the center bait hatch, seems like it will put the rod within very easy reach and I can position the rod right or left depending on which way I'm drifting. I didn't think the center hatch would be strong enough to support that though, was it pretty solid there?

As far as a bilge pump goes, are you talking about a electrical pump? I got one of these for emergencies: http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mari.../dp/B004UOV9UW
Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Yea I had an electric one hooked up to the fish finder Battery with a switch to turn it on when I need it but a manual one is good to just keep an eye out if the condition get bad while you are out
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
captnblood34

If you haven't ran live bait on the bottom yet, you need to. And troll/jig a 2 oz lead head of your choice with a 6" swim bait with red on the belly or tail. Don,t be afraid to get too close to the jetty. Check the tides before you go out as well. That should get you what I think your after.

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
If you haven't ran live bait on the bottom yet, you need to. And troll/jig a 2 oz lead head of your choice with a 6" swim bait with red on the belly or tail. Don,t be afraid to get too close to the jetty. Check the tides before you go out as well. That should get you what I think your after.

J

Thanks a lot captnblood, I appreciate the advice. I have not tried live bait there yet. I went to Cisco's that day before we launched but they didn't have any live bait.

Is there any good spots there to try and make live bait?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
TJones

Let me know when you are ready

To try surf launching . I am looking for fishing buddy to hit county line . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
To try surf launching . I am looking for fishing buddy to hit county line . .
Would definitely be down to do that, would love to go out with someone more experienced.

What's stopping me from going out is that I don't have a way to transport my kayak so I can only go when my buddy is free (and he's been really busy lately). I've been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used truck so hopefully I find something soon.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #11
TJones

I'm teasing you about launching (the veterans will jump on my tale for suggesting this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
Would definitely be down to do that, would love to go out with someone more experienced.

What's stopping me from going out is that I don't have a way to transport my kayak so I can only go when my buddy is free (and he's been really busy lately). I've been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used truck so hopefully I find something soon.

County is known to be one of the toughest launches . . I've just about given up launching there, unless the show again . Down the street is more relaxed . What is your schedule like? Are you strictly weekend warrior ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post

County is known to be one of the toughest launches . . I've just about given up launching there, unless the show again . Down the street is more relaxed . What is your schedule like? Are you strictly weekend warrior ?
Yea, I figured you where kidding. I've heard about the tough launches at County Line. I saw several suggestions to launch at Leo and paddle up.

I'm not working right now so my schedule is pretty wide open for the next couple of weeks. The only thing holding me back is hauling the kayak.