Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
1morecast
Junior

Native Watercraft Mariner vs. Hobie Outback

I'm new to kayaking and know I want a peddle kayak. If you had to choose one of these (Native Watercraft Mariner 12 vs. Hobie Mirage Outback) which one would you choose and why? Pros and Cons from those of you who have one or been on one of these would be great. I know everyone is different and I will be testing both of them out but wanted a second opinion.

Thanks in advance
1morecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morecast View Post
I'm new to kayaking and know I want a peddle kayak. If you had to choose one of these (Native Watercraft Mariner 12 vs. Hobie Mirage Outback) which one would you choose and why? Pros and Cons from those of you who have one or been on one of these would be great. I know everyone is different and I will be testing both of them out but wanted a second opinion.

Thanks in advance
go with the hobie i have an outback its a great kayak...stable kayak decent speed yt catching machine
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Bigfish
Junior

Talking Native Watercraft Vs Hobie

The native water craft is nice, its goes forward and backward, but it has a lots of drag and it does not glids as well as the hobie. You would be much more tired after a long day of fishing with the native watercraft.
I bought a native watercraft, tried it, return it and got a hobie instead.
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
1morecast
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
The native water craft is nice, its goes forward and backward, but it has a lots of drag and it does not glids as well as the hobie. You would be much more tired after a long day of fishing with the native watercraft.
I bought a native watercraft, tried it, return it and got a hobie instead.
Thanks for input..that is the kind of insight I knew members on this board had!
1morecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
TmBtc12

I was in the same boat as you and just picked up an Outback and love it so far. I'm thinking about taking it out again tomorrow.
TmBtc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Siebler

Each boat has it advantages and disadvantages.

The Mariner does have reverse, the drive is much more solid and wont need maintenance, and the hull is a Dual Pontoon style much like the PA (which is why it doesnt have as much glide as mentioned above). Also the seat is absolutely awesome.

The Outback is better suited for offshore fishing and rougher conditions. The drive does lift out of the kayak easier for kelp/surf than the Native. The hull does have more glide than the Native as well however if your drive broke and you had to paddle (I know, unthinkable that youd have to paddle a kayak!) I would want to paddle the hull design of the Native over the Hobie as it does have a more defined keel and "paddleable" hull design.

My suggestion, Demo Both. We have the Mariners at OEX Mission Bay and Andy at SSB has the Hobies. Both are great kayaks.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Deamon

I don't know squatt about the Mariner but I do know Hobie's warranty service is tops. Not being the original owner did not matter with Hobie...

Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Emeraldbaykayaks
Junior

Get the outback it is just a good all around kayak I had one for years and I am looking to pick up a new one here soon. Thats got to tell you something right there.
Emeraldbaykayaks is offline   Reply With Quote