Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
The pelican

Stomach Contents

Hello BWE - What's the craziest thing you have found in the stomach of a fish you caught? I have always been interested in checking the stomach contents of my catch but haven't put much thought into wat it actually tells me that can help me catch more fish.

Does anyone else regularly check the stomach of the fish you catch? Any smart people out there have much insight into what exactly that tells you beyond the obvious? For example...

1. How do you use the stomach contents to tell you what's going on out there?

2. How have you seen stomach contents vary by species caught?

3. Does anyone know how long it takes different species of gamefish to break down various types of food (finfish, squid, crustaceans, etc.)? If I find a greenback, how long could it have been there?

4. Do you ever find species with stomach contents that don't match the conditions/bait in the water? What does that tell you? That the food has been sitting in the stomach a while? That the fish has migrated quickly?

5. Do you generally try to find bait consistent with stomach contents from recent catches?

I'm specifically interested in members expirience with different species of kayak caught gamefish (YT, WSB, Halibut, Rockfish, etc.)

A couple Calico bass I caught have had whole small lobsters curled up inside their stomach. Maybe that means I should go hooping for some bugs to use as Calico bait?

Pat
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
As to the Calico bass, Pat were they lobsters or longustina?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Seanbarnett
Junior

Stomach contents

Opened up a bluefin tuna and found sea horses inside.
Seanbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Not very crazy, but a nice fat Sandbass had a whole crab in it's stomach, looked too big to fit in it's mouth in the first place but it was in there.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
taggermike

I usually check stomach contents on the fish I catch. I don't know that it helps me catch more fish but I find it interesting. In warm water fish digest their food fast, I'd guess after a 1/2 hour you'd have trouble making a visual ID. If you really care or need to know you can count vertebrae or fins spine. The pen and beak of squid stays intact much longer than the body will. Crustacean and shelled mollusks are identifiable for much longer. I caught a YT last month on a surface iron cast in to a school of nervous sardines. The YT had squid, smelt, and juvenile rockfish in it's stomach but no sardines. That seamed kinda strange to me. In college I helped a grad student friend collect the stomach contents of bat rays. There was a oyster farm operation in Humboldt Bay that was killing bat ray under the belief that the rays were eating their oysters. They would find where the rays had been rooting around in the oyster beds as well as shattered oyster shells. They had a permit to drag a big trawl over their beds to catch, and kill, the rays. 100s and 100s of bat rays. What my friend found from stomach contents was that the rays did indeed eat oysters, but not too many. Their main food items on and around the beds were actually rock crabs and blood worms. The crabs and worms are both big predators of small oysters. The rays were actually helping the oyster farm by removing the crabs and worms and the company immediately stopped the netting. Yay, happy ending. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I usually check stomach contents on the fish I catch. I don't know that it helps me catch more fish but I find it interesting. In warm water fish digest their food fast, I'd guess after a 1/2 hour you'd have trouble making a visual ID. If you really care or need to know you can count vertebrae or fins spine. The pen and beak of squid stays intact much longer than the body will. Crustacean and shelled mollusks are identifiable for much longer. I caught a YT last month on a surface iron cast in to a school of nervous sardines. The YT had squid, smelt, and juvenile rockfish in it's stomach but no sardines. That seamed kinda strange to me. In college I helped a grad student friend collect the stomach contents of bat rays. There was a oyster farm operation in Humboldt Bay that was killing bat ray under the belief that the rays were eating their oysters. They would find where the rays had been rooting around in the oyster beds as well as shattered oyster shells. They had a permit to drag a big trawl over their beds to catch, and kill, the rays. 100s and 100s of bat rays. What my friend found from stomach contents was that the rays did indeed eat oysters, but not too many. Their main food items on and around the beds were actually rock crabs and blood worms. The crabs and worms are both big predators of small oysters. The rays were actually helping the oyster farm by removing the crabs and worms and the company immediately stopped the netting. Yay, happy ending. Mike
It's nice when science is fact based, not based on emotions. Sounds like a cool project and a positive outcome.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
The pelican

Bob - They could have been langostino. This was about 5 years ago and I had only been fishing for a short time and bugging a couple times so I guess I could have been confused. Good point.

Mike - Sick story! Good info on the digestion rate. Where'd you come up with that? Educated guess? I would have thought it takes much longer for a meal to digest but have nothing to back that up.

Last summer I caught a YT full of squid and one sanddab. The yellow was caught on the surface, w a flylined greenie, in the kelp. This fish had clearly been eating on the bottom outside of the kelp forest. The next week I went out a couple times to conduct an expiriment. I covered some ground in areas near my previous catch that seemed like they would hold squid nests and dabs. Spent a ton of time looking at the fish finder. My hope was to be the first one to my own secret squid bite. Never found a nest and didn't get any results. Anyone else use this strategy and come up with good results or do you guys think it's a waste of time?

Pat
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
RK

If you are really interested in stomach contents, digestion, etc. contact Dos Ballenas on here, Owyn would love to talk guts and intestines with you.
Or better yet if you see him on the hook at two in the morning camped out on a squid bed asleep just peddle over and wake him he'll love it....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
jsunmkly
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pelican View Post
A couple Calico bass I caught have had whole small lobsters curled up inside their stomach. Maybe that means I should go hooping for some bugs to use as Calico bait?
I don't think you should catch small bugs because that will be illegal right?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunmkly View Post

Crawdads??
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
The pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunmkly View Post

Besides being illegal, it the idea of catching and using lobster as bait for kelp bass is just plain funny to me. Maybe it wasn't clear that I was joking.