Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2021, 07:26 AM   #1
SoCalEDC

Dana Point 8/14/21

After a few reports of tuna being taken by way of kayak last week me and a couple of buds (a few of which are members here) decided get after 'em. We paddled out past the drop off (about 3-4 miles off the point) into about 1800' of water and worked around. We found some bait schools and surface puddles of bait but didn't hook into any tuna like we had hoped.

weather was excellent, surface conditions weren't bad either. Lots of signs of life, if they were around they weren't interested in anything we had.

The bait we got from the barge was small, and didn't have much slime, probably hadn't been cured very long. If you decide to give it a shot try and make some fresh mackerel and forget the micro sized dines from the barge.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Thanks for the report. I wonder how well the slow pitch/speed jig methods we use for deep Blackfin would work over there? What's up with catch reports? I see reports of Yellowtail off La Jolla, and out deeper Tuna, but it rarely gets posted here.......I guess the locals keep a tight lip to protect their turf?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Thanks for the report. I wonder how well the slow pitch/speed jig methods we use for deep Blackfin would work over there? What's up with catch reports? I see reports of Yellowtail off La Jolla, and out deeper Tuna, but it rarely gets posted here.......I guess the locals keep a tight lip to protect their turf?
I think so as well. Instagram is the new medium to post a "report" or at least a photo of the fish. I still enjoy a written report.

As for the jigs (both speed and slow jigs), the tuna have been eating them, but it seems to be better in the dawn/dusk hours. In this instance I was fishing a 100g chrome zakana and an 80g colt sniper, letting it free fall through the bait and then jigging it up semi yo-yo style. I didnt bring dedicated slow pitch gear or even try my leaf style jigs because per a buddy of mine who works on one of the sport boats, the "colt sniper" style jigs were the ticket all last week.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
I think so as well. Instagram is the new medium to post a "report" or at least a photo of the fish. I still enjoy a written report.

As for the jigs (both speed and slow jigs), the tuna have been eating them, but it seems to be better in the dawn/dusk hours. In this instance I was fishing a 100g chrome zakana and an 80g colt sniper, letting it free fall through the bait and then jigging it up semi yo-yo style. I didnt bring dedicated slow pitch gear or even try my leaf style jigs because per a buddy of mine who works on one of the sport boats, the "colt sniper" style jigs were the ticket all last week.
GTK regarding the jigs, Ty. Agree....Instagram is where most current inspirational photos are. The written report has so much more to offer, shame there are so few.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Thanks for the report. seems most people dont post reports as i've seen handfuls of known BWE yakkers at cabrillo and i never see a report. We were out of dana in a 28' boat last week. Headed to the 312 and ran into a school of foamers about 6 miles out, but they didnt bite for us. seems very reachable in a kayak.

FYI, that bite has mainly been an afternoon thing. they would all show and no go in the morning. once the tide started to flow back up in the afternoon, things actually started to bite.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #6
BenCantrell

Man... I was really pulling for you guys to hook into something cool. Keep at it, it'll pay off eventually.

There's always deep dropping.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote