Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
Joe11

Peddle kayaks

I havent been on here in forever but i am rededicating myself to kayak fishing inland waters (as well as my RZR and dual sport bike). Anyhow, i still have my Hobie Adventure with the Gen 1 mirage drive, however, i am considering another platform with the peddle/propeller style drive. Anybody have experience with these and do you recommend one over the other.

TIA
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
Salty

Welcome back! Don’t have any experience fishing inland waters myself, but if you’re going to be fishing shallower waters, the newer pedal drive from Hobie with the Kick-Up fins might be worth the investment for you. They’re smooth and efficient, have reverse and they fold away if they run into any hard objects like submerged rocks or branches instead of bending the masts or breaking other components. Just my two cents!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Joe11

Thx. I used to fish La Jolla and Dana Point but I gave up when the MLPA areas expanded. Now I’ll be fishing mostly Lake Mohave and the river between Havasu and Davis Dam when the weather isn't scorching. Going to start looking for something this month.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
SoCalEDC

If you are talking about the PDL drive from old town (and similar lesser known competitors) I have heard they are great. Buddy of mine sold his outback and got into a sportsman 132 and loves the new ride. I think like anything else tho you may have to give them a test drive before biting the bullet.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Joe11

I called the bed shell vendor about the order status of the Yakima racks I had ordered. Yakima was telling them December at the earliest. I canceled my order and Rack N Road in OC had them in stock. Now i need to find a couple new peddle kayaks to put up there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6351FE1-940A-4C58-9E21-F5BEF2135504.jpg (69.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Harry Hill

I like my Old Town Predator PDL but I don't have to roof rack it. Now it's either on a trailer if I take two or in my truck bed if only taking 1
Old 12-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
meandmylynx
Junior

Like my name says, I got a hobie lynx. It is lightweight and fast. It's a bit slappy and loud, and it's a similar feel to my standup boards that I used to fish off of, but way faster obviously. I love the seat and the easy to use rudder controls. The pedal drive pulls out easy too. I find myself pulling the drive out and lifting the rudder when I go through some kelp or grass and get riders that I need to let loose. The only downside for some may be that it doesn't have a hatch to store things in. I see that as a plus though since it's foam filled and virtually unsinkable. I love it. It took 3 months of waiting once I paid my deposit at fastlane, but it was truly worth the wait! Hobie engineering is worth every penny.
meandmylynx is offline   Reply With Quote