Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
parkermann

Kelp cutter rig question

What lb flouro do you guys use on your kelp cutter rigs?

The reason I ask is i rigged one up with 50 lb flouro and it seems too thick. Like if I'm using a smaller greenback he won't be able to swim as naturally.

Is 30 or 40 lb strong enough of I get hung up in some thick stuff? Does it even really matter since it's less than 5 feet and the rest of my line is 65 lb braid?
parkermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I caught 7 yellow tail...on the same knot and same hook 2015

65lb power pro RP/John Collins knot for the spice I like to put a drop of zap a gap glue to protect the knot when you wined it through the guides 40lb florocarbon flyline offset J hook for a mackerel.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 06-03-2016 at 03:47 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermann View Post
What lb flouro do you guys use on your kelp cutter rigs?

The reason I ask is i rigged one up with 50 lb flouro and it seems too thick. Like if I'm using a smaller greenback he won't be able to swim as naturally.

Is 30 or 40 lb strong enough of I get hung up in some thick stuff? Does it even really matter since it's less than 5 feet and the rest of my line is 65 lb braid?
The kelp is cut by the braid not the flouro on a kelp cutter rig. Use whatever Flouro leader you want.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
cesar74

let the braid do the cutting!i use 30 if I'm fly lining a bait. 40 if I'm using a jig (surface/yo-yo).
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
summers in kuwait

Out of simplicity I run the same rig on all my setups, year round.
65 lb power pro in green. The braid is the saw! It also allows for greater line capacity, which can be nice on smaller class reels.

I then tie a Owner Steel Ring and tie my rig ( flyline, dropper, three-way swivel, etc). This works for me, but a some prefer line-to-line knot. I run 40lb Seaguar Fluro the majority of the time and will go down to 25lb in the summer when the water vis is improved or if Im working areas that don't have as much structure. I've had success with 25 lb near the kelp, but prefer 40lb for the extra durability and abrasion resistance. Also, from what I've noticed WSB don't appear to be line shy like yellows and the stronger leader is advantageous with the WSB's teeth.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
parkermann

Thanks for the replies. Got my questions answered. I'm going to go ahead and try a few sizes from 30-50 lb
Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
taggermike

I use a 3-5 feet of 30 lb fluoro leader. I've found that 40 lb can be a bit of a liability on a kayak. If snagged on the bottom 40 lb is extremely hard to break off. I've almost flipped my narrow OK prowler trying to break 40 lb. Sad but true, I hooked a dolphin on 40 and could not break it off. I'd think it would be almost impossible on a kayak to fish enough drag to need 40. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
parkermann

Great info mike, I have run into that before when I hooked and iron in the kelp. Pulling it free was a pain. I'll stick with 30lb