Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
madscientist

10/28 AM

Water is crystal clear and deep blue. Could see my mac on the bottom in 60ft. Only a couple of bones for me. Figured that vis is a rare occurence so I took the wife snorkeling over by the hoopin spots. Very cool to get a good look at the bottom contours. Saw tons of garibaldi, a couple of calicos, and a sheephead.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
gotz togo fishin

question for madscientist

Appreciate the report, thanks!

Question for you: Have you ever hooped for lobster with a flashlight when the water is this clear to spot them at the bottom?

I went to Jim Salazar's seminar last week and got low down on how to hoop for lobster on a kayak. Just bought two hoops and thinking about giving it a shot and trying to spot them at the bottom, sounds like tonight would be the night.

Thanks,
Gabe
gotz togo fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

What Brad said. The only thing I found that was hungry Saturday were bonito. The water vis wasn't as good today (Sunday), but was still amazing. I paddled around and watched the garabaldi, calicos, lobster, etc. The kelp is looking really healthy too.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Mr_PeaCH

I'll just tack on my water vis/kelp report here then. 8)

Went out in North County with Mars this morning (Sun, 10/29) and while it wasn't quite the banner morning that yesterday was, it ended up being a real nice day on the water with great water clarity (we estimated at least 20 - 25 feet) and an abundance of kelp returning in all the usual places. Mostly it is still under the surface but here and there some strands broke through. Fishing was mostly slow. Got bass (sand, calico) and bones on the sabiki when we were trying to make bait and mackeral on the megabait... go figure. I did manage a nice calico in the 2-3 lb range who took my flylined mac at one point and made my reel sing for a few seconds. Also landed a whitefish outside the kelp in deeper water; a first for me from the kayak. Like I said, overall pretty slow but after the offshores stopped howling and the clouds burned off it did settle down and turn out beautiful and warm. Water warm too; est. 67 degrees or so.
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote