Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
madscientist

10/20-10/21 Baaaaahhhh-ja

Lamb crew (Adi) and lambcrew adjunct (myself) went south looking for trouble. We found it. Full report to follow. There's a new #2. :lol:

Shame I don't still have my mulligan.

Here's the little one. :shock:

Old 10-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
MKNOTT

Thanx for the piece O meat Adi...... Biggest fish I ever saw :shock: ... MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Dennis

Beautiful fish, Adi... Hey, what you got on the sand over there (next to Brad's yak)? Nevermind... I just checked the submissions.. :shock:
-D
Old 10-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Razorback

Great Bosnian Bisquits......

Anxious to hear the rest of the story.

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
lamb

I'm looking forward for Brad's write up too.

I'm too stoked to put anything meaningful together. The best trip of all times.

All I can say... is

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

:lol:
Old 10-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

That is the small one!!! :shock: Congrats on some great catches!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
madscientist

Stand up and say BAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

All packed and ready to roll, Adi (lamb) and I hit the highway at 3:30am Friday morning and headed south. After an uneventful drive down past San Quintin, we arrived at the spot at a little past 8:00am.

At first it looked like there would be little surf to deal with...

...but as we unpacked we started to see some pretty good breakers.

Some big sets but nice lulls in between made the launch all a matter of timing. We quickly got everything ready to go and I headed out while Adi “unloaded” himself. I waded out with the yak then had to wait for a good 5 minutes before a window opened. I’ve learned that Baja is different than La Jolla and that you must paddle till you think you are clear, then paddle another couple of minutes to be sure. I look back to see Adi following, just as a big roller went underneath me. Thought he might be in for trouble but he got through it and out. Took in the ideal conditions for a moment before starting the days fishing.

Quickly made macs and headed out. Since it was so calm we figured to go out deeper while we could. Got out to the 70ft area I remembered from the last trip and started getting hit by decent sized bonies up high and sand bass on the bottom. That got old fast so we agreed to head back to the kelp. The first and only Baja demon appeared when I went to put my VHF behind me, only to hear a “plop” as the battery fell out and overboard. Oh well.

Got back to the kelp and started working the croc. Not long after that I look down to see a big white sea bass swim by, not more than 10ft away. Stayed real quiet and kept moving the croc. 2 minutes latter, BAM, the croc gets whacked and I’m on. Dumb fish didn’t run into the thick kelp but kind of turned in circles, staying out of trouble. At first glimpse I thought it looked small, but once stuck it became apparent we were into some good fish. He ended up going 48lb.

I show Adi the technique I was using and gave him a croc. He paddled off a ways and we both kept at it. I see some speed bait burst out in between us, then a couple minutes latter I hear “BAAAHHHH”. Adi is big time bendo.

Fish got into some kelp but his steady pressure and spectra gets the job done. Lamb on board.

After the immediate excitement wears off we get back on the case. Adi whispers over to me “White Sea Bass” and points...

Big fish swimming lazily along. I guess he saw almost 10 together. With hearts racing, we try to entice them but they are not in feeding mode. Absolutely incredible to see these big fish so close. They really don’t seem to care about the kayak one bit. I hade a pair pass 3ft below me and never show the slightest sign of distress.

By now it’s getting into late afternoon and we still need to set up camp and cut the fish. We start heading in, discussing the upcoming surf landing. Adi packs everything up while I leave a flylined sardine out. Halfway back the sardine gets slammed. Lock in, hook up, and hold on.

Clicker screams as the fish peels off 100yds straight at the kelp. We both say “yellowtail” as I pick up speed. Fish gets into the kelp pretty thick but with a slow steady pull and some changes in angle, I feel it sliding slowly up.

Get to leader and can’t see it, then a big silver head pops through the kelp. White Sea bass number 2 hits the deck. Longer and skinnier, this one goes 45ish.

With over 100+ lbs of fish on board (I had kept the first boney and a whitefish that inexplicably ate a large mackerel), I was not looking forward to the landing. We sat outside the surf zone as a larger set came through. I thought it was done and started to crank up, when Adi yells “Here comes another one”. Look back and think “Oh shit” as this roller is forming up quickly. I try to turn to face it head on but the heavy yak just won’t come around quick enough. Lean hard into it as it goes underneath me, then watch it foam and break about 30 ft inside of me. Whew. Looked clear after that so with a fair amount of adrenaline running through our veins we sprinted in and landed unscathed.

I think we were both a little amazed at incredible fishing we had experienced.

Set up camp right where we launched since we were too tired to do much else and we figured we may only need one more day to catch all we need.

Some warm soup and sandwich, many beers and it was sack time.

Got up around 6:00am the next morning to a chilly dawn. Swell had come up a bit and there were some real widow-makers mixed in, prompting this reaction...

...but still some nice lulls as well. We timed it pretty well and got out cleanly. Saw some fog rolling in but didn’t worry as we figured it would burn off once the sun got stronger.

Made bait by the kelp but it didn’t feel fishy, so we decided to bounce for buts out to the deeper spot. Got about halfway there whenthe sun finally burner through and the whole feel of the place changed. We agreed to go back to the kelp and return to the ghost hunt. As I approached, I hear a loud “BAAAAHHHHHH” from behind me. Look back to see Adi seriously bent.

Raced over to catch the end game. It was clearly a good fish and when he got it to color next to me, I told him “It’s huge”. Once gaffed and he pulled it up, I saw the biggest WSB head I’ve ever seen, with a body to match.

I tell him it’s a monster, over 60, but he’s skeptical. The he tries to put it in the hatch and it doesn’t fit without some serious pushing. Believe it.

I felt like I’d still like to try for one more so I returned to the kelp edge and got to work. Sure enough, a pair of big boys approach out of the kelp. One goes right up to my croc, about 8 ft below the surface, but shies away at the last moment. But two minutes later my weighted bait goes screaming. Fish runs for a minutes then comes unbuttoned. Oh well. We stay at it for a little while longer, enjoying the perfect weather and calm seas. Make the decision to call it a day and a trip around 3:00pm, so we head in. Surf was still exciting and we watched some real nasty breakers from outside the surf zone. We timed it well and shot in between sets. Lots of amazement on the beach as we look at just how big his fish really is.

Packed up and out by 4:30pm. Thought about staying longer but we agreed that we had a ton of fish and that everything had gone so well there was no reason to tempt fate. And we had burned all of our firewood the first night.

A truly remarkable trip. Sight fishing for WSB is become one of my favorite ways to fish. There is not much that can compare to the thrill of watching these huge fish swim mere feet away from the yak, and the heart pound moments waiting for the bite are just as good as it gets.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
There's a new #2.
Dammit, never saw that one coming :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey the month aint over yet

Glad you guys had a safe, productive and fun trip.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
desilu
BottomDweller

That was incredable, when the next trip i'm down. Great write up and pics. Cabanaboy joneing :shock: :shock: :lol:
desilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
aguachico

Sweet - hey Adi... go see MO!
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #12
'Cuda

My gut has been in a knot all weekend after checking the perfect wind forecast, new moon and mid-morning high tide for the "ramp"....I knew I was missing it.
November can be just as good..........
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 AM   #13
Dan

good gravey those are toads.

the level of photography in this sport is really insane too.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
'Cuda

Hey Brad,
I'd like to get a few of those pics for my archives...particularly your double and Adi's 60+ beach shot.
My e-mail is jamesmsherman@comcast.net. Unfortunately my e-mail has been down for 24 hrs. while Time Warner is doing a switch over.....try in another 24.
Thanks,
James.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #15
Dennis

BIG TIME CONGRAT'S, BOY'S!!! :shock:
Old 10-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #16
rdahl

One of those is so big it looks more like a totuava! Nice catches
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
steamroll

Wow Adi! That fish is a monster! Way to go guys. Thanks for the report.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #18
lamb

That place is just stocked with fish. Cuda, we owe you. Have I met you on the beach, r you riding white F&D?

I’m a believer – karma exist. I was fortunate to rub over some good one lately, and I think I carefully nourished that blessing and keep milking it… :lol: It seemed to have kept following me right along. 8)

The biggest fish I caught in my life. 8)

60.5 lbs after being bled and sitting in the chest for 24 hours…
57” long…
30” girth.

THE MOTHER OF ALL LAMB:

Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #19
steveooo

Awesome write ups and pics!!! MAybe soon those big gals will come up norte a little bit...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
'Cuda

Adi.....fished there 5 yrs. ago during my rookie year for calicos and sandbass.....didn't know anything else. Two springs ago I stopped on my way down to Mulege and most of the kelp had disappeared like here and didn't think it would be worth another try. Then this past June while in that area looking for new spots, I pulled up and the kelp was back...a miraculous recovery so I gave it a shot. That's when a school of 8-10 past 3 ft. under my yak and I knew it was on tho' still a bit early in the year for lamb bite. I did pick up 3 yellows that day. And for some reason neither the locals nor the motor boaters out of Don Eddie's Landing fish it....guess that's why they aren't spooky.
Congadulations...that's some fatty.
Next trip....November new moon.