Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Baitcaster Reel Suggestion

Hi, looking to buy a bait caster for fishing the docks and 20-50 ft around the kelp for Sandies and Calicos. Probably using 3/8 to 5/8 oz lead heads most of the time. I dont want anything too big. Probably spool it with 15-20lb test mono or braid. Need something in the mid range at most, for cost but I don't want a 'cheap' reel (quality).

Does it really matter if it is designated a 'salt water' reel?

Thanks for any suggestions.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

I love my Daiwa Lexa. I use the 300hds just in case I get into something big, but any size will do. Biggest thing I like about them is how well they handled maintenance on the reel when I sent it in recently. Emailed me an online form for payment and had it back on my doorstep in 48hrs.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

Also

This shit looks like voodoo magic and I want to try one https://www.instagram.com/p/B9e0Rw-g...d=nsyi4b3j8i5i
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
BigAppa
Junior

My Daiwa Coastal TWS 200 has been rock-solid. It's my go-to calico reel. I have it paired with my St. Croix Avid inshore, and with a 5/8 or 1/2 oz jighead, it'll cast a mile (about 40-50 yards which I think is great considering I'm sitting in a kayak). Plenty of power to handle any inshore fish all day south of ten pounds.

It also doubles as my swimbait reel when I'm fishing freshwater.

Daiwa also came out with a slick 150 size, which I've been trying really hard not to buy these last couple weeks in lockdown mode.
BigAppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
Udine219
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppa View Post
My Daiwa Coastal TWS 200 has been rock-solid. It's my go-to calico reel. I have it paired with my St. Croix Avid inshore, and with a 5/8 or 1/2 oz jighead, it'll cast a mile (about 40-50 yards which I think is great considering I'm sitting in a kayak). Plenty of power to handle any inshore fish all day south of ten pounds.

It also doubles as my swimbait reel when I'm fishing freshwater.

Daiwa also came out with a slick 150 size, which I've been trying really hard not to buy these last couple weeks in lockdown mode.
+1
Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

If it's just vertical fishing, no casting, get the cheapest low pro with the strongest drag, something like a revo s. Fill it with some heavy grease while avoiding the drag area and spool bearing area, and make sure to use quality spool bearing oil.

If it's something more sensitive like live bait fishing, or fishing in the deep, then it can pay to shell out, but for what you're doing it's not that important. At the most you'll only ever have 70 feet of line between the rod tip and the lure.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
monstahfish

That new tatula coastal looks pretty sweet. I had a 10 year old zillion coastal for a long time that I loved then bought some shimano curado E or I or something and the bearings rusted. I fixed them and immediately sold them. I've been running zillion hd since they came out for spotties and calicos with the high speed gear for the last few years and they've held up really well. I also have a regular coastal from 2 years ago that's still as smooth as the day I got it.
Holy crap. Just looked at the price for the new zillion hd and wow has it gone up in the last few years. I guess I'd go with the coastal.

Last edited by monstahfish; 03-31-2020 at 08:03 AM.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
inbx3

I've been using Sixgill reels for the past year and they are worth a look. Usually fish SD or Misiion bay for SBB but have caught some halibut with them. The currently have a reel BOGO going on, just got 2 200 sized reels for $120 shipped, not a bad deal. BTW, I'm not sponsored by them or anyone else. I'm just passing on a deal that someone may want to check out. If you want to try them, hit me up, I'm in SD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15856881868792369402723318453028.jpg (57.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 15856882341546256035995808609725.jpg (58.6 KB, 47 views)
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Thanks for all the info.
I decided to go with the Daiwa Coastal TWS 200. Seems to be the right size for the type of trolling and vertical fishing I am doing and will also perform well for casting lighter baits to the docks.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote