Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Recommendations this Saturday?

Hi Fishing Experts.

My non-kayak friends and I were planning to go out to Mission Bay or the Big Bay this Saturday, but Windfinder.Com says the wind is really going to pick up.

Historically we have not done very well in high-wind, high-chop situations, but I wanted to see what you saltwater professionals and semi-professionals thought of the situation.

As a backup, we were thinking of hitting up Dixon Reservoir or Lake Poway.

Needless to say, we would go wherever the odds are the best to avoid the skunk. If all else fails, I'm going to take them to Ranch 99 and drop lines into their live-fish holding tanks.

What do you think we should do?
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

red lobster, then you can turn in your lobster card!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
JeffB

99 ranch has a new LMB pond! You should check it out, if all else fails there is a killer catfish pond right around the corner, lol! Wind or no wind, you can always score at Tidelands. There is always a way to beat the wind over there. The bite is hot, you can catch them almost anywhere you drop down.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
tacmik

Poway is suppose to be stocking rainbows today. Last of the season for them.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

from my experience... big roller waves are a nonissue. whitecaps are a real big problem. side splashes, you get tossed in all directions and cant really see what is what. i'd rather go kayaking in 5-10ft swell instead of 10mph winds.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Dannowar

Can't launch a kayak at poway. Gotta rent their boats.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

I planned on going today to cabrillo but last night it said the winds were suppost to be 21mph starting from 8am. Today it doesnt go over 5 the whole day. Check once around 11 or 12 tonight before you go to sleep before you cancel your trip.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys... we checked the weather and decided it would be best to go to the protected waters of Dixon Reservoir.

I'm not sure how windy it was elsewhere, but it was a beautiful sunny day with a light breeze at Dixon. Unfortunately that's where the good stuff ends.

The lake was definitely alive. We could sight-fish Bass and Trout in almost every location where we stopped. There were quite a few monster trout that looked like they would weigh in close to 10 lbs. There were also quite a few chunky Bass of that size as well.

Unfortunately, none of them were in an eating mood... not even for real nightcrawlers, let alone artificials or powerbait. We even managed to tap several of them on the forehead with lead-heads to no avail. I poked a passing trout with my rod as it swam-by. If only I had a spear-tip on my rod, I could have gone home with a nice 7-8lb trout.

All day, they just cruised around, occasionally putting on a jumping display around our boat, but no action of any kind. If I didn't know better, I would swear they were taunting us.

We were not alone in our predicament... no-one else caught anything except one guy who managed to snag a tiny trout from one of the docks. The cleaning stations were absolutely spotless.

We admitted defeat around 3:30P and decided to go home and BBQ instead.

At least we were outdoors and made some Vitamin D.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote