Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
fryguy

Heading East and need advice

Hey all,

I'm planning on heading back east for thanksgiving and am gonna try to get some fishing in. My buddies just got into kayak fishing back in NJ and I'm going to join them for a few trips for striper.

Anybody got any experience/advice they can throw my way for catching striper in these waters. I'll be fishing in southern NJ bays and inlets.

Is it anything like fishing for calico/WSB?

Thanks in advance
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
shortstack

castmasters, live herring some plugs work well. At this time of the year spoons, castmasters work best. Hang on they got some fight.
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Chuck D

I grew up fishing for stripers in CT on Long Island Sound. The best bait you can use is Bunker chunks, preferably smaller chunks, no heads. Mack chunks will work but they tend to fall off the hook pretty easily. Rock formations are a great place to look for the stripers. Usually if you are going near the coast, high tide and on the bottom works best. Stripers tend to nibble then eat so dont get jumpy with your rod. They aren't the best fighters in the world so you may have a 40 lb fish on and not even know it. Good luck man, some of the best tasting fish out there and fun to target.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
fryguy

Thanks for the info.

I'll post pictures if I get any success.
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Ohana

I recommend checking on the web by googling "striper (or striped bass) fishing in NJ".

The company I work for has a facility near Newark, NJ and late November weather can be nice and balmy or cold, wet and snowy in the same week, so best to bring clothing planning for both types of weather.

Stripers are great fighters and there might be some late-season bluefish in the same area.

Good luck!

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

I fished the east coast awhile back and believe it or not the striper out that way like the Hammers along with Slugos, important to keep an eye
on the tide there depending where you are fishing.
Good luck out there, you should eat well....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote