Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

How to attach a leash to a rod?

How do you attach a rod leash to a rod?

I have some very big, obtrusive leashes. Trying to find a way to have a very small attachment point.

Thanks for sharing.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Dannowar

Split ring, a zip tie and a tiny carabiner
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
jorluivil

Here's mine

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Split ring, a zip tie and a tiny carabiner
Thats exactly what I do...small key ring, plactic zip-tie and a tiny carabiner.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
dmrides

I have a small stainless steel ring held on the rod with a double sided Velcro strap. It sits perfectly right above the rear hypalon and also works great on deckhand style rods. This is completely out of the way when casting and cranking.

Then I have a short bungee attached to each rod holder on the bait tank with a small plastic clip that attaches to the SS ring on the rod. It's a really clean simple system. Might not hold up with a fish on the line, but will keep the rods attached in the event of a roll.

I typically don't leash my rods in the rocket launchers (just when in the bait tank holders), though I do have some leashes for those. I use a bungee cord wrapped in paracord using some knot my grandad taught me back in the day that looks like a belt. I like this as it lays flat and straight when not in use and is not a coiled mess tangling up all my ish.

Last edited by dmrides; 03-23-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Sitll laenring to sepll
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
h-james

Finally, I am able to make a contribution to the BWE! I had nothing to do one day, and discovered a turks head. Figured I would put a loop in it, and that was where I could attach my rod leash. Simple but effective and I get an additional spot to get a beeter hold of the rod.
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turks head photo.JPG (67.4 KB, 312 views)
h-james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
Drake

Less than $5 for a 20 pack at target/walmart ect. Usually in the appliance or automotive section. A small keyring works well.

Rob showed me these. They're meant to serve as reminders for when you put a disk lock on your motorcycle.
$5 on amazon. Coated steel cable and contracts to a very managable size, so they're not in the way. I use them on my game clips as well (notice the plural)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
How do you attach a rod leash to a rod?

I have some very big, obtrusive leashes. Trying to find a way to have a very small attachment point.

Thanks for sharing.
use smaller leashes.

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...k-fishing.html

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
kixchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-james View Post
Finally, I am able to make a contribution to the BWE! I had nothing to do one day, and discovered a turks head. Figured I would put a loop in it, and that was where I could attach my rod leash. Simple but effective and I get an additional spot to get a beeter hold of the rod.
James
Awesome.
kixchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
That's an ingenious idea.
I was thinking about a way to put a loop on the end of my dikes to secure it to my yak. Never had to worry about it when on a boat but I'm more concerned about dropping things "over the side " in a Yak.
Thanks for sharing!
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-james View Post
James

How do you tie this? I like this a lot. I currently have 2 methods. The new Penn reel clamps have a eye built into it. I use those on the rods without reel seats. But I would rather use this. Will this fit in the rod holder? I guess it depends on the rod thickness.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
steveooo

Great thread & good to see some new ideas. That turkshead loop & the Kryptonite cable are both really cool ideas.

Okuma puts a pretty slick leash point on their kayak series of rods. I bet for $10 and a 6 pack, most guys that wrap custom rods would do the same on any existing rod...

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
maui jim

Large Split-ring attached to a large Owner barrell swivel , attach swivel to rod with 2 zip ties. attach leash to split-ring
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
PapaDave

I used to have a ring but it was always in the way so I did away with it all together. Here is my setup these days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8701.JPG (196.0 KB, 171 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...w#.UVDYr2t5mSM
I use these with a split ring in the hole or just straight to the hole. Pretty stron actually
Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
GregAndrew

I use something similar to Papa's. Also coated steel cable. Quick clips have emergency whistles built in too.

GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
StinkyMatt

Lots of cool ideas, thanks guys.

Greg, I have your leashes, just trying to find the "perfect" way to attach them.

Plastic zip ties are not it. I have seen enough of them fail to not want that option. Maybe two doubled up?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
h-james

In answer to the question of how to make a turks head. I googled and youtube'd how to do the Turks head, and after a little practice I was able to put it together.
As far as the the loop goes, some things I learned from trial and error.
*the loop should be put in the knot once the knot had been formed and before the knot is tightened down.
*put the loop in at the starting point, (once tightened, it is impossible to put a loop in the formed knot)
*make sure to turn the Turks head loop towards the back side of the rod (again before the knot is tightened down). Once the turks head is tightened down it is nearly impossible to move.
Hope this helps,
James
h-james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
dmrides

To further secure the loop in the turks head you can sew in a piece of thin line (like the line used for whip finishing dock lines) through the rope where the loop goes in and out. If that makes sense. It will never come apart.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
skrilla

Here's a turkshead with leash loop I did for my light pole awhile back. I just tied the ends together after tightening it down. A few drops of superglue and a coat of spar urethane seals it all up. Has held up great since.