Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
carbonbass

Charting new territory on the yak

Well i went out of laguna yesterday (launched from fishermans cove, great spot for begginning surf launchers as its pretty protected from the rocks near by and slopes up slowly for small shorebreak.) Anywho launched at about 945am and saw some birds working the surface a good 3/4 mile out so i paddled to it for kicks, i found some dolphins balling up a bunch of bait taking turns spearing through the ball like a torpedo (will upload the video footage once i can figure out how to transfer it from my phone to my email, the file is too big to email). Anywho, it took about an hour just to paddle to them so i watched for a good 30 mins or so. I was hoping there would be game fish out there but there was only dolphins, i wonder why :roll:. I turned on my FF to realize i was in 250ft of water, lol didnt know it dropped off that quickly at laguna. I decided to paddle in closer and when i got to about 150 feet i metered a few fish hugging the bottom, i figured they must be bass. I dropped down a 4 incher and let the current drift me, no bites no hookups, i casted out and reeled it in along the bottom for nothing, i even jigged up and down. Im definately still very novice in the explore the ocean and find your own fish, and realize the harbor is much easier to find fish for me still (hey a piling it probably has a bass next to it :lol: ). Any tips you guys can give me for fishing deeper water with the swimmies would be greatly appreciated, i got frustrated and paddled back to the kelp in 30 ft of water and started grinding around on bottom over there only to miss 1 bite for the session, i almost wanted to go back to deeper water alsdfgjkaslkdgj i feel like im in such a rush to find fish i never have the confidence knowing im going to catch fish in the particular spot im in, making me want to change lol. The big problem for me is that i feel like i cant feel my lure anymore when its 75ft+ down there so i never know if im working it properly, any help would be awesome and i will get that video footage of the dolphins up once i figure out the xfer. Thanks for reading~
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
blackRifle
Junior

I'm in the same boat as far as trying to figure out how to work the bites and such.

My best advice to you is to go out to enjoy the water and count fish as an added bonus.

I've also learned you have to work your bait VERY sloww..
blackRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Lots of possible responses, but here's a few that come to mind.

#1 Laguna doesn't have a lot of deeper water structure. And, its hard to find. You're better off sticking in tight and working either the boilers or the slightly deeper stuff that's easier to find.

#2 make sure you have enough weight to get to the bottom quick enough. 150' and I'd be using at least 1oz. Not enough weight and by the time you hit bottom you'll have way too much line out. Then you won't be able to feel your bait, let alone be able to set the hook.

#3 Head south after launching and paddle past Main Beach. There's some boilers out in deeper water that should have some fish this time of year.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Lots of possible responses, but here's a few that come to mind.

#1 Laguna doesn't have a lot of deeper water structure. And, its hard to find. You're better off sticking in tight and working either the boilers or the slightly deeper stuff that's easier to find.

#2 make sure you have enough weight to get to the bottom quick enough. 150' and I'd be using at least 1oz. Not enough weight and by the time you hit bottom you'll have way too much line out. Then you won't be able to feel your bait, let alone be able to set the hook.

#3 Head south after launching and paddle past Main Beach. There's some boilers out in deeper water that should have some fish this time of year.
whats the slighty deeper stuff thats easier to find 50 or so ft?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
The big problem for me is that i feel like i cant feel my lure anymore when its 75ft+ down there so i never know if im working it properly, any help would be awesome and i will get that video footage of the dolphins up once i figure out the xfer. Thanks for reading~
Spectra has virtually no elastisity, and thus it is extremely sensitive. 40lb mono streches like crazy. You talk about losing the "feel" of the lure past 75' depth... using spectra will help you in that regard for sure. With 65lb braid you can easily feel a single squid hit your jig 130 ft down. It's insane how noticeable the sensitivity of spectra is... then just wait til a 20lb+ YT hits that swimbait! You can feel every headshake and tail thump. Only thing is you want a lighter action rod in order to absorb the shock of a bigger fish and smooth out the action of your bait.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Depending on the swell you'll see areas where the waves pop up consistently. Check those spots out. How deep depends on a lot of factors like how big the swell is and how big the structure is. But, I fished a tournament (and won) with out a fish finder. I didn't know the area (it wasn't Laguna), but I was able to pick out rock pinnacles in about 35' based on the waves. It takes practice, but it's worth the study.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
T Bone

The Amish shun fish finders

Fish those rocks with a reebs Keep you from getting hung up so bad

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Amish Ed

I don't remember why I didn't have one, but I went without for a while.