Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

8/25 LJ sore arms and did not paddle far

After my long run Wednesday, I was content to hang around the inner 1/2 even though the NW sounded like a sure thing from Nelz and Kelvin. Launched around 5 AM and made a nice mix of greenback sizes. Hung one out and stuck around until 6 to see if anything happened . Headed to the point and set one high and one low. Scattered baitballs and schools of spanish passing under me. Got picked up around 7 AM on the flyline an 8#er for dinner. 15 minutes later picked up on the low one while paddling Right kind of drag pulling then pulled the hook. Nothing but boney and barry hit and runs for the next hour, saw one other decent YT landed, radio was quiet. I threw the popper at the baitballs and got some 2 pound boney followers, but no eaters. I think they would have, if they were the bigger models. Started to make my way in and picked up a mini YT on the flyline, thing never even took drag until I got it to color, then a couple zips down and game over, grabbed it's lil tail and let em go, maybe 5 pounds dripping wet.

Made my final stand in my halibut heartbreak spot. I have lost 2 north of the hotel that sure felt like big buts. My bottom rig makes a sharp chirp of the clicker, and I grab it and wait. let it eat it........I want a good hookset, so I putt it in full and when it is tight , heavy swing. Big fish makes a 10 foot run and stops, back off to strike and slowly start to reel it up, get a little and it takes off again for a short run, this went on for awhile until it hit some kelp. Back to full, pop it out and it starts towing me out, like it got bigger and changed completely. My dreams of a monster flatty were gone, but I held out some hope until about 10 minutes later and this fight started resembling my early Wednesday hook up, that I was sure was a black seabass. Sure enough after some serious back n forth and a 30 minute fight I pull up a 60ish# black. Took a pic, popped the hook and had a really easy release, once I flipped it over it swam right down.

Headed in around 10:30, good morning, although with the water feeling as warm as it did, I expected more fish on the surface and more action over all. Current at the pier was running north, but around the point it was pushing south, not as much downhill as it has been. Weather was just about as good as it gets. Lots a sun and light breeze.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Dan

That top photo is crisp. Way to pull on some fish big and small.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Lit-up1

Blackie

Nice story-I like to see the variety going on out there.
Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Ojos_raros

Nice report Andy. Great photos the last few days. What kind of Canon did you get? I have a Powershot A80 and might be looking for an upgrade soon.
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
vellocity

awesome photos Andy!! what a beautiful fish.. can't believe some people would want to kill anything that has lived for that long in the ocean..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

That is a beautiful pic of a beautiful fish...hope they don't fall the way of the totuava...

They should be no take in Mex as well...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
What kind of Canon did you get?
I got the A620 at Ritz Camera, with an extended warrenty that covers EVERYTHING, except theft, loss or fire, so I am not worried about taking it out on the water.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
aguachico

It's good to see the BSB's are healthy and growing.
Nice pics Andy.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote