Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
madscientist

8/24 AM

Launched just prior to gray and got out of the reserve at the right moment. 20 baits in 10 minutes, pointed the nose north. Discovered my radio is dead.

Hazy morning had me questioning the decision to go north without the GPS, and a tip from a sea lion convinced me to turn back. Got back over to the point to find acres of bait being worked from above, but no signs from below. Milled around for a while making sure not to get sucked south.

Came back inside to finish the morning. As I was packing up a weighted bait rod goes bendo. Feels heavy, not much wiggle....oh, could it be? Not. At color I think, wow, big ling. Then I get it up. WOW, big calico. Around 24", guesstimate 6lbish. Took some pics, maybe I'll post later. Since he didn't spill my beer or otherwise offend me, I let him go. Proving once again, bass fishing is hard. :lol: 8) .

Beautiful morning, saw one regular with a smaller YT, otherwise very slow. That damn sea lion lied to me.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

It is kinda weird not seeing a big fricken YT pic attached to your post

Here is a lil guy I caught yesterday, 18 incher I wanna take a pic of a REAL fish

Bass fishing is hard, if you are a ..... I am terrible at rhyming :lol:

Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
vellocity

thanks for the report Brad!

wow, the big calico's must be on the chew..........or because no kelp we're fishing in shallower water....
where i've been fishing this summer would have had me smack dab in the middle of a THICK, THICK kelp forest last year...
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
skiffman

08/24/06

After getting two Yellows and some Calicos on Monday with clients, same area as Nelz was working I followed that up today with 4 Yellows to 15lbs. 3 on the Rapalas and one on a Mack. 85' n.w. corner. Clients missed a couple of others. Basically slow but right place right time works for me. Water was 63.5 at the jetty today after being 61 on Monday. By noon the water at N.W. corner was 71.5. Warming up again for the Labor day blitz.
Kelvin
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
vellocity

Re: 08/24/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffman
After getting two Yellows and some Calicos on Monday with clients, same area as Nelz was working I followed that up today with 4 Yellows to 15lbs.
nice job kelvin!
i marked the GPS on Monday and yesterday's fish was exactly in the same area probably stacked up facing that nice strong current going south...
hope this current sticks around for next week!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
madscientist

Here's the big guy.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice Toad! I wish I could catch one of those things on an artificial bait!!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Nice calico Brad.

.... so could it be that the coastal toad calico's are far too experienced and wise to ever fall for the old plaster and paint with a big 'ol trailing treble hook lure trick ? :lol:

Some days they are just old and stupid. :roll: Actually Chris, guys even get 'em fishing Zara Spooks from the rocks, probably walking distance from your house if you are in Bird. Novelty fishing, not big numbers. Bigger numbers are on plastics, with the occasional toad. So, you CAN doooo it!

Speaking of Bird area, the other night I got 4 halibut in a half hour underhand casting plastics.

Hint Hint a good area for calicos on high tides.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote