Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
SAR

LJ 8/20 Several Firsts

I'd like to take a minute and give you guys a new guy update. I've been reading the meaasge boards for the last month or two (even asked a question about landing fish on the kayak) gathering information and gear and working my way up to fishing from my kayak. Yesterday was the day. I got on the water about 0600 and had great luck making bait just past the bouy, also learned a lot about managing several mackrel and four flailing hooks while trying to get bait into the tank behind me. At about 1000 I caught my first fish from the kayak, a bonito that fought very well (for me) and probably weighed 5 or 6 pounds. I released the bonito and hooked into my first yellowtail at about 1115. After a GREAT fight and two missed gaff attempts I landed my first yellowtail, 14 pounds and about 31 inches. I think some of you were nearby ( blue kayak, blond ponytail, Brad?) and I'm guessing it was a pretty entertaining show if you were watching.

I was able to go from not fishing in about 20 years and virtually no saltwater experince to my first successful kayak trip because of the information that all of you freely provide on these message boards and the willingness of everyone that I talked to on the water to answer my beginner questions. I wanted to say thank you and let you know that I'm now firmly hooked on the sport and look forward to getting out again and hopefully meeting some of you on the water. Thanks again!
SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
ski

Congrats on your fine catch!
And yeah, they do pull hard at any size!
mark
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
kareem korn

Sweet

Congrats on your first and second fish. You know that does'nt happen to everyone, so that makes you either very lucky or an excellent fisherman, or a combo of both . I hope you got a photo so you can look back on this day. It's one that your going to remember.

-Tim-
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Congrats, SAR. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

what a first trip It takes some several trips to get the right kind (me being one of them)... way to go.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Razorback

Congrats Dude on a fine day on the water.

BWE will be submitting you a bill for $1,065.35 for each time you logged on and all the information that you read and applied in order to bag a yellowtail on your first outing.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky DAWG.

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote