Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #1
colliseumj
Junior

Trolling lures

So I was wondering if any of you had experience with trolling lures like rapalas and yozuri while kayaking? I'm really intrested if they get the action from a paddle kayak going about 3 mph consistently? Or is it better to just run something smaller while paddling the long distances out?
colliseumj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:36 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Yes, I have used both Rapala and Yozuri lures to catch fish off the kayak.

My favorite is a Yozuri Crystal minnow in 130mm floater. The weighted versions don't seem to swim as well for me off the kayak.

This Blackfin Tuna was taken on the mullet version of the 130mm Crystal Minnow floater. I have taken fish up to 32lbs on this lure in darkness(sorry no pic, too dark for the gopro video).

This one was taken on a Rapala x-wrap.

The Nomad dtx line seems to be popular on the West Coast. Most of my successes have been in darkness or sunrise.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #3
PapaDave

Here on the west coast I troll Rapala X-Rap in green mac, sardine, silver and olive green, mostly the ones that dive. Small ones around kelp or reefs, mostly bass, bonito and mackerel, large ones for Threshers and ???.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
BenCantrell

In San Diego / La Jolla the only takers I could get on X-rap Magnums were calico bass near the kelp. Any size would work, even the 30's. I was always hoping for a mako or thresher or yellowtail out in open water, but it never happened.

In Florida I get a lot of action on regular X-rap 10's and 12's. The Magnums don't get much interest for some reason.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote