Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

Protecting the fish finder cable connections

As companies cut costs to keep fishfinders competitive, cheaper models have stopped providing cable end covers (like the one below).

Aside from the generous use of dielectric grease to protect from corrosion, the cable connections should be covered when not in use to protect from dirt and particulate.

If your connectors lack covers, consider buying vacuum caps to protect them. I got mine on Amazon.

bellcon posted this remedy on another website, and It has worked well. For additional protection, one can fit a rod butt cap over the whole plug.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:48 PM   #2
shawny

These cost cutting measures are really pathetic! Probably costs a few cents for cable covers and yet they don’t include them: Lowrance Hook series, Garmin striker series, Simrad cruise series..

I couldn’t find the right size end caps for the exposed cables on my Simrad Cruise 7 when not in use, so I ended up buying some waterproof outdoor extension cord covers (same ones people use for extension cord connections to Christmas lights)

Found these on Amazon and work okay so far! I stick the transducer cable on one end and the power cable on the other.
Flemoon [3 Pack] Outdoor Extension Cord Safety Cover, IP44 Waterproof Connection Protector, Weatherproof Electrical Box for Outdoor Plug, Outlet, Holiday Light, Halloween and Christmas Decorations, Green https://a.co/d/89grIrJ
Old 07-23-2022, 04:46 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawny View Post
These cost cutting measures are really pathetic! Probably costs a few cents for cable covers and yet they don’t include them: Lowrance Hook series, Garmin striker series, Simrad cruise series..

I couldn’t find the right size end caps for the exposed cables on my Simrad Cruise 7 when not in use, so I ended up buying some waterproof outdoor extension cord covers (same ones people use for extension cord connections to Christmas lights)

Found these on Amazon and work okay so far! I stick the transducer cable on one end and the power cable on the other.
Flemoon [3 Pack] Outdoor Extension Cord Safety Cover, IP44 Waterproof Connection Protector, Weatherproof Electrical Box for Outdoor Plug, Outlet, Holiday Light, Halloween and Christmas Decorations, Green https://a.co/d/89grIrJ
Agree, Pathetic! and maybe the real reason for excluding them is to accelerate the rate of corrosion so they can sell more units?

My Raymarine Element 7 required 1/2" and 5/8" vacuum caps.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote