Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
Salty

Dana Point 1/16/22: Epic Sunrise

Ever have one of those mornings where you launch in the dark and can tell just by the shape of the clouds you can see through the stars that it was going to be a great sunrise? This was one of those days. Launched Baby Beach at 5am. Jeff at the bait dock explained most of their bait had died as a result of the tsunami surge the day prior and they only had anchovies. I got some anyway and made my way out to deep water. On the way, it seemed like every time I looked over my shoulder, the sky was a different color. Love mornings like this; cruising on calm, glassy water, drinking my hot coffee while I head to my first waypoint.

About the fishing: it was less amazing than the sunrise unfortunately. Was planning to fish deep water, but since the bait was small anchovies, I thought I would have to change my plan. Fortunately, the greenback bite was on fire throughout the water column and I was able to make some much healthier bait on the sabiki and jigs. So basically I paid $20+ tip to set free 2 netfuls of anchovies. Somebody tell Greenpeace!

Anyway, once I had larger baits, I was more comfortable drifting deeper water with what I had rigged up the night before. Wind and current were minimal, so I was mostly pedaling slowly North over the canyon ridges with an 8oz torpedo on a 3-way swivel setup. Meanwhile I was dropping heavier jigs on any interesting marks. Only downside was that the greenbacks were so hungry, I could hardly get my jig to the bottom without hooking one, even with 230g. Total catch ended up being: 1 Sandbass, 3 White Croaker, 20+ small Lizardfish, and 50+ Mackerel(mostly greenbacks, but a few Spanish mixed in with them too). Ended up keeping a handful of larger greenbacks to use as bait for lobster fishing on the boat the following Monday, which ended up being much more productive...

Hope you enjoy the pictures
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

Beautiful shots!
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Ever have one of those mornings where you launch in the dark and can tell just by the shape of the clouds you can see through the stars that it was going to be a great sunrise?
Yes sir, On the 04x08 Watch on merchant ships -- One sees the sunrise and sunset every day. Getting up for watch at 330am can be tough. However, once nautical twilight begins, energizing rejuvenation commences. There is sometimes a 5-15 minute segment when the sky refracts turquoise rays prior to sunrise. It's a magical time in the morning. Love the way the sun is reflecting off the glassy calm seas. It does not get much better than that -- Epic photos! Looks like you maximized the therapeutic qualities of the adventure -- Thanks for letting us in on it.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

During my first couple of years kayak fishing I be used to catch multiple lizard every trip. I haven't caught one in the last couple years. I have mixed feeling on their resurgence.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
During my first couple of years kayak fishing I be used to catch multiple lizard every trip. I haven't caught one in the last couple years. I have mixed feeling on their resurgence.
Do you ever put them out as bait? A Floridian kayaker took a sailfish on one, and another angler landed his PB Spanish Mackerel with a live lizardfish.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #6
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Yes sir, On the 04x08 Watch on merchant ships -- One sees the sunrise and sunset every day. Getting up for watch at 330am can be tough. However, once nautical twilight begins, energizing rejuvenation commences. There is sometimes a 5-15 minute segment when the sky refracts turquoise rays prior to sunrise. It's a magical time in the morning. Love the way the sun is reflecting off the glassy calm seas. It does not get much better than that -- Epic photos! Looks like you maximized the therapeutic qualities of the adventure -- Thanks for letting us in on it.
Damn dude, that sounds epic. Closest to turquoise light I've seen is the "green flash" on the boat coming back from the islands here. What you described sounds unreal! I know FL can get some amazing sunrises. One of the best I can remember was a sunrise from the beach in Miami. Was working an event there, got up early and leaked on the sand to watch the sunrise and it was the craziest mix of purple, pink and orange!
Old 01-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #7
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Do you ever put them out as bait? A Floridian kayaker took a sailfish on one, and another angler landed his PB Spanish Mackerel with a live lizardfish.
They kept biting my jig, so I fished with one on the bottom for a little bit as a makeshift hamburger rig since I couldn't seem to get the jig to the bottom without a lizard or mac taking it!! Never thought of intentionally rigging a lizardfish though. Their jaws seem pretty light, so I imagine using a light hook up through the center of the nose would work best? Might be an option if I can't catch anything else!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Damn dude, that sounds epic. Closest to turquoise light I've seen is the "green flash" on the boat coming back from the islands here. What you described sounds unreal! I know FL can get some amazing sunrises. One of the best I can remember was a sunrise from the beach in Miami. Was working an event there, got up early and leaked on the sand to watch the sunrise and it was the craziest mix of purple, pink and orange!
Florida has some great sunrises, but I do miss California's awesome winter month sunsets.

Quote:
They kept biting my jig, so I fished with one on the bottom for a little bit as a makeshift hamburger rig since I couldn't seem to get the jig to the bottom without a lizard or mac taking it!! Never thought of intentionally rigging a lizardfish though. Their jaws seem pretty light, so I imagine using a light hook up through the center of the nose would work best? Might be an option if I can't catch anything else!
I have taken a few Barracuda on the lizardfish, and a thin hook up through the nose from the upper half of the jaw is how I hooked on the baits.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #9
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

WOW thanks for sharing those awesome sunrises. Amazing colors. Definitely a Zoom worthy background.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote