Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
Salty

LJ Mixed Bag 4-18

Left home at 3:45am to launch solo just before grey light at La Jolla. Planned to make bait then troll around and drop an iron on any marks that looked interesting, hoping for TY or even an elusive WSB. Couldn't find the greenbacks, but had a handful of Spanish pretty quick. Threw one on the carolina rig and started peddling. Cruised all over, making it nearly out to the 3-nautical-mile line at one point. Never really saw the big marks that I was hoping for, but the iron was apparently appetizing for other things like bass and even a decent whitefish. Ended up with a really nice Sheephead that did a good job of wrapping itself on the kelp. Managed to land it though (thanks to the 40lb fluoro leader). Surprisingly enough, the sheephead bit on the 7-8" spanish mac being trolled with the carolina rig. Sucker must've been hungry!

That was the highlight of the day. Caught fish pretty consistently with the yoyo setup all day. Ended up being a lot of fun, even if the morning wind sucked and the surf on the landing was rough(and not to mention a ZOO).

Totals for the day:
Sheephead: 1
Sandbass: 3 (largest 18")
Calico: 4 (all undersize)
Whitefish: 1

Everything was catch-and-release. Sand bass were caught in about 140' and were floating. Had to use the descender to help them back down.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:00 AM   #2
shawny

Superb report! Looks like a fun variety of fish, can tell you covered a lot of ground to score that assortment.

Beautiful sheephead! Haven't heard of one biting a live spanish mac, either she was starving or has an unusual palate, or both. Nice C&R. Looks like she was in the middle of the transition from female to male too!
Old 04-20-2021, 01:17 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Nice variety, Catch photo release is key -- Thanks for promoting that.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

Cool variety, sounds like the trip was a good time and looks like it too!
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #5
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawny View Post
Superb report! Looks like a fun variety of fish, can tell you covered a lot of ground to score that assortment.

Beautiful sheephead! Haven't heard of one biting a live spanish mac, either she was starving or has an unusual palate, or both. Nice C&R. Looks like she was in the middle of the transition from female to male too!
Thanks! Yeah, I got a workout, that's for sure... It was definitely a surprise catch. Not what I was expecting to pull up from a slow trolled Spanish... Still stoked though! Even came with a side-salad lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Nice variety, Catch photo release is key -- Thanks for promoting that.
Yeah, I release most of what I catch usually. I'll keep a good yellow, WSB or butt when I'm fortunate enough to get one. But even then, if I don't plan to do something with it quickly(or know someone what wants to cook it up right away), I'd rather let 'em go. 95% of what I'm out there for is not about stocking my freezer anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Cool variety, sounds like the trip was a good time and looks like it too!
Always love getting a good variety! Keeps things interesting for sure. Just stoked do have a pre-seasoned Outback to work with
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote