Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
shawny

Two Harbors Kayak Fishing

Hey all,

My buddies and I have booked a camping trip at Catalina Island's Two Harbors Campground for a weekend in early September. We're planning on renting single kayaks for a day or two so we can go out and fish around the kelp beds around the north harbor (or further out, weather-permitting and MLPA-permitting). We've heard good reviews about Wet Spot Kayak Rentals

Does anybody have any experience fishing around this area, or has anyone heard anything good/bad about it? I hear the two harbors area is overfished, which makes sense. But my buddies and I love to fish and would still be willing to kayak fish even if there's the slightest glimmer of hope. But of course, if any of you feel like fishing isn't even worth it here, we may just leave our fishing gear at home to save space and time...

Any other advice regarding things like safety and preparation would be appreciated too! (i.e. PFD? VHF? Bilge pump? Gaff?) My group of friends have kayaked quite a bit, but never kayak fished..

Any advice that helps us on our trip will come back as Karma to BWE in the form of a nice fishing report when I get back from the trip

-Shawn C.

Last edited by shawny; 08-06-2014 at 09:09 PM.
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Jkfish136

If you have one bring your own kayak seat the rental seat suck.
Jkfish136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
newportdogs

This is my 4th year taking my kayaks to Catalina for boat in camp site camping. Leaving Friday for Lava Wall. The first year we ran out of beer and paddled from Italian Gardens to Two Harbors thinking, well, that can’t be more than 5 miles one way. 16 miles later and the toughest paddle I’ve ever done, I decided I’d never run out of beer again (not to mention the price I paid for beer in Two Harbors). The current ripping around the island as we came into Two Harbors was the worst I’ve ever seen. The wind comes up in the PM. You need PDF, pumps and VHF. Wet Spot must give you Coast Guard approved PDF’s. Check the most current MLPA map. If you are experienced and have safety gear give it try. I’ve been doing day trips to Avalon this summer and renting kayaks, the fishing is pretty good. Two Harbors is a very cool, laid back place.
I’ve been doing business with this company for 3 years and renting kayaks from them this year on the one day trips, I doubt anyone can top their service and kayaks. They have fishing kayaks with rod holders and the seats are absolutely fine. http://kayakcatalinaisland.com/.

http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=910

Good luck.

newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
taggermike

I used to go to Cat a few times a year for work. We always got a bit of fishing, but it was all on the Cat Harbor side/back side of the isthmus. Its shallow and a bit murky there but we have had good bass fishing. We've even caught a few spotties in there. A co-worker got the "bass trifecta" (spottie, sandy, and cali) in the back of the harbor on 3 consecutive casts. That's a tough thing to accomplish with out even moving the boat. It you can make live bait the halibut fishing can be excellent. Hen Rock is just out side the harbor on the left side and can be great for calicos. Saw a buddy pull a 10lber right near the rock. I've never caught them but I have seen YT boiling right out side harbor. Cuda and bonito are there too. The Cat harbor side sees much less fishing pressure but I'm not sure if there are rentals on that side of the island. On a down side it can get windy on the back side. NW wind swings around Cat Head and right in to Cat Harbor. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Mahigeer

I made this post about a first trip that Made there.

It is not a kayak report, but it may have useful information that you can use.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/...arbors+camping

I did kayak fishing at Avalon and really had a rough time using rental kayaks.
http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=16880&highlight=kayak+fishing+avalon

Good luck.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote