Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 8-17-2022 on the Solo Skiff, DoDo, Yellowtail, Tuna search.

This was from my second trip in two days going out further West in search of the Dorado, Yellowtail and Tuna that have been moving North for a few week. The time we get those Dorados this far North doesn't last too long. They only get up here every few years. Got nice weather early but as usual the winds pick up late morning and makes for white caps and a fun ride back, were you can't always go full speed because of the following seas. Fun day and I have never seen so many Dorados, I almost wanted to jump in to get one. Thanks for watching. Tight Lines!

Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 08-20-2022 at 11:55 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:10 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Another one of Mark's adventures to vicariously enjoy! Jealous of the flat calm overcast weather. Looks like you covered a good amount of area. Cool clips of the Mola Mola. Sometimes a sabiki can catch that small bait that was under the kelp paddy. Sorry to hear the pelagics all had lockjaw for your lures. I have had luck trolling a Rapala, but most of the kayak Mahi I have taken were on strip baits that I put out just in case while focusing on vertical jigging. I wish you had a better microphone. Hearing your comments fade in and out gets frustrating. Until next time....
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
NICKWORN

Troll the madmac at 8-9mph

We’re you using DTX? We had luck on the madmac and madscads trolling faster around 8-9mph, and most the dodo were on the outsides of the kelp.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:31 AM   #4
FISH11

I tried several the DTX 140, DTX100, Colt sniper, P Line minnow. At times they were getting hit but not hooking up. I changed the speeds and was up to 8 mph at times. It's like they were hitting the top of the lures and not getting the hooks. I only hooked one and it came off after several minutes. Other times I was drifting and could see the Dorados swimming within 20' of the Solo Skiff and did not react to me dropping colt sniper or small kastmaster that I replaced the treble with a nice split ring and Saltwater 2.0 treble. I thought the kastmaster would look most like color and size of the small bait fish on the paddies. I was dropping it right in front as they would swim by and make it jump around, but no reaction. For some lenght of time they would be less active and then they would jump and swim around for 1/2 hour or more. I covered the water for 1/2 mile around all paddies and more. Frustrating and weird.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
h2ofishfo

Those Dodo’s are so micro Mark. Stay inside for some bigger models
Old 08-23-2022, 09:29 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

You’ll get em eventually.

Forget all the new hot lures. Go old school. Pick up some skirts, crocs and feathers and pull them fast. Pelagic's are turned on by speed and can’t stand to let something get away.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:37 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Cedar plugs....

Gets them. They will spit treble hooks...some sport boats won't let you cast jigs for them because they come off jumping and the lure comes flying back at the boat. I have had Dorado follow crocodiles all the way back to the boat only to hit in the end making it dangerous for you.
I would try poppers because it's a slow retrieve when you stop. When I used to tuna fish in my boat I would always leave the jewelry out until I got to the inside of the 9 mile bank because it was always a big Dorado that would hit the cedar plug, purple alot or chartreuse blue and white
Or plain wood they all work....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-24-2022 at 05:06 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:33 AM   #8
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I don't see why

Tube bates won't work they seem to be catching everything Brandon is putting some really good quality
J Hooks in his and that's what you want.
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-24-2022 at 05:42 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
FISH11

Went again yesterday, to the same areas and found less kelp paddies. Did find the areas holding many DoDos. like before I was trolling and covered large areas. I also trolled a popper I bought for tuna trips. I trolled at many speeds up to 11mph. even used some small swim baits, nothing got any love. Several boats around spread out. Talked to a couple guys on a CC, that were also working around a small paddy. They had no luck either with the jigs. I saw them land a number of varying size DoDos. They said the only thing that was working was, to toss an anchovy or sardine in the middle of any small disturbance on the surface. It looked like in playing around the DoDos would get several DoDos bumping each other and if you tossed a bait in that disturbance it would likely get hit. I mean they would just keep swimming by and it would happen within 20' of the boat. I tried to make some bait at the pier but the Cal Wave buoy is no longer there, so no large bait balls. I even took some squid and the DoDos ignored it. Had a #1 bait hook on 25lb Fluorocarbon leader that I used on Tuna Boat trips and had the hook covered with a squid strip. Never seen fish not eat squid. Never in the 3 trips did I spot any Tuna foamers. Going to keep trying as long as they stay in the areas of the North Nine.

Last edited by FISH11; 08-24-2022 at 07:56 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote