Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Mahi on the Kaboat and scout

Launched out of oside with my buddy josh and his scout 430 in search of pelagics. We went out to Carlsbad canyon and put in trollers then pointed towards the 181. Few miles in we saw a grey hull way out in the distance and made that our target. When we got closer we noticed a boat had been hiding in its silhouette and was drifting but I couldn’t see if they were on a patty or just stopped. We got to about 300 yards from it and turned off to the right to try to give them a reasonable distance to pass and as I got inline with them they started their engine and we all were going in the same direction. About 1/4 mile later I see jumping mahi but no patty. Figured they had been working them and I’d just press on but still hope for a strike.
I see them stop and see plenty of jumpers and then about 30 seconds later my daisy chain gets hit. Land the fish and see josh is hooked up. Motored over to ask them if it was cool that we stay and see they’re right on the patty and it’s about the size of a car hood. (It’s hard to see anything from my low point of view, especially with a little chop).
They gave us the go so I continued to work the area and ended up with 7 mahi. Josh got 3. All on various lures trolling.
After my 3rd The boat started trolling as well. They probably weren’t getting much on bait. After my 5th fish I gave them my hot lure and then switched it up to a lighter set up. Seen them hook up a couple times, hope they got some in the cooler!

Video below. Figured out my little hand gaff sucks. Lol. I’m going to make one. And both my new rod holders broke. So that’s cool.

Video.
https://youtu.be/_wp4QJ26BcI
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
FISH11

Real nice haul. Glad you were able to find out what they wanted, to hook up. Tight Lines!
Old 08-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
Gobble
Junior

Nice catch! What lure were you trolling?
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Congratulations! Good thing you had leashes on your rods, sorry to see the rod holder fail. Already subscribed, and another video liked!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote