Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-03-2022, 02:20 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 6-2-2022 on the Solo Skiff

This was from my trip to La Jolla on Thursday June 2nd 2022. The weather forecast for this week changed to lower surf and lower winds. That the forecast, reality is not always the same. The surf is lower, but higher sets mixed in, is normal and not an issue for me. The higher winds are always something that increases by mid day. Unfortunately the wind was higher by late morning and as the Marine layer was burning off, the higher winds made trying to use my Drone, on the water and launching from my Solo Skiff, a little too dangerous of a possible Fly Away. I will practice some more and try other trips to get more Drone footage mixed in. Nice day on the water, still. Thanks for watching. Tight Lines!

Old 06-03-2022, 04:47 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Always good to see you get out on the water Mark. What did you do to improve the audio? -- sounds much better. At least you got a Calico. The wave buoy looks like a go-to bait station. No signs of squid? The drone adds an interesting perspective of La Jolla -- cool toy. I want one! Where is the link to the drone on the youtube channel?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:31 AM   #3
FISH11

Thanks John. Just getting out on the water, is very refreshing. The Drone is a DJI Mavic Mini, I bought about 2 years ago, used. It had never been crashed and had very little use. It is a very popular model because of it's ability and the weight of just under 250grm makes it not needing to have a pilot register with the FAA. Everyone still need to follow FAA flying regulation. To me registering is NOT a big deal, because I already had to with another, not as advanced model. It cost $5 and answering a few questions on line. Getting a professional license to fly much bigger drones, requires much more. Quickly found that better drones with camera gimbles shoot better video and pictures. If you get a Drone make sure to get extra batteries. I bought the Fly More Combo that has 3 batteries (more flying time). Living in the mountains means I have to get above the canopies, so visual contact it not as easy. I use my cell phone as the screen and can see what the camera sees. I haven't use it as much as I would like because of higher winds. I would like to fly it more to be smoother on the control inputs and get smoother videos. The better the drone, the more features and sensor that can keep from crashing into an obstacle. The new Mini3 is even better, at the same weight, but has gone up in cost, as all things do. It is incredible how they can hover anywhere when you release the controls. Not like other remote planes or helicopters, they just crash. They literally, give you a birds eye view. On the sound quality, I've been using a older version on IMovie and found settings that can lower background noise (kind off makes it a little muffled) and a voice enhancement selection for the audio. It does make a big difference.

Last edited by FISH11; 06-03-2022 at 07:53 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Hey Mark, Thanks for the info about improving sound and your drone experiences. Drones seem like cell phones in that they don’t hold their value making used the best way to get more for the money. I’m monitoring offerup waiting for a good bargain.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
FISH11

As I've seen on some UTube videos, Costco has a great deal on the DJI Mavic Mini2 (fly more combo is best deal). It' a newer version of mine but a lot less than the Mini 3 (which has more sensors and uses a more sophisticated control connection than WiFi. Good luck on your search, John. A good Drone is a lot of fun, to get unreal birds eye views.