Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Salty

La Jolla 6/13

Pretty interesting day out there yesterday. Launched at about 5:30. Tide was low, super mellow waves with a little cloud cover. Struggled with bait at first, finding only a handful of Spanish. Made my way to deeper water to start searching for marks and found a school of hungry greenbacks hanging around 15-30' in the column. Filled up my livewell with those pretty quickly. Started the day trolling a greenback and dropping the yoyo on anything that looked interesting. My buddy got a solid bite and fought it for about 30 seconds before whatever it was shook the hook.

Eventually I switched to trolling 2 lines: 1 greenback on a flyline and 1 on a dropper setup about midway in the column. Eventually got into a good fight on the dropper that lasted long enough for the New Seaforth to make a 90-degree turn and drop anchor 100 yards from me("Go ahead and get your lines out guys. We're gonna try this spot..."). Unfortunately, once I got it to color, I saw it was a black sea bass. Kept it in the water, snapped a quick pic and let it go. Gave me a nice splash in the face as a thank you as it dove down.

While trolling the area, I spotted floating rockfish all over the place that were obviously improperly released and left to die. Zig-zagged through the area and used a makeshift descender with a flattened sabiki hook and a 12oz weight to drop down a treefish and 2 small vermillion. Came across another larger vermillion and spotted a shark circling it. There were bites out of the rockfish already and we watched the mako finish it off with a lot of thrashing.

Headed back in around noon. Tons of bird activity diving on bait, but nothing was interested in my bait, iron or jig. Made it back to the beach around 1pm. The swells had picked up big time at that point. Tide had filled in, waves were dumpy. Lots of chaos at the landing. My buddy and I made it in just fine, but there were several yard sales just after us. One had none of his stuff secured and dumped it. My friend and I went swimming to help him find anything we could in the surf. Somehow, my buddy(Gnarwhal here) found his phone, fillet knife and his Dawia Lexa on a 9' rod in 5' of water under the breaking waves. I happened to find a pair of prescription Ray Bans while diving under a wave and found the guy on the beach that they belonged to. They were all pretty stoked and it was awesome we were able to recover so much, but it was a really good reminder to always secure my shit! Anyway, even if I don't always find what I'm looking for, it's always a good time at LJ...
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
shawny

Nice report!! Glad you found some luck with bait, sounds like it paid off with a fun BSB battle.

Good on you for properly releasing those poor rockfish. Definitely some good fish karma coming at you in the near future!!
Old 06-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawny View Post
Nice report!! Glad you found some luck with bait, sounds like it paid off with a fun BSB battle.

Good on you for properly releasing those poor rockfish. Definitely some good fish karma coming at you in the near future!!
Thanks! I'll take all the good fish karma I can get! And I normally don't have the best luck finding greenbacks there, so it was nice to find them in numbers for a change...
Old 06-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Enjoyed the report and photos. Awesome that you were able to equalize the floaters and help recover some of the yard sales.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
GregAndrew

Good going on the rockfish. Think I caught the same BSB on Sat. or at least a sibling. Lots of batrays around out deeper also.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #6
Caseym

Pics

Sick pics from the launch!
U think those rockfish were from the Seaforth? Those guys rape those same 4-5 rockpiles over and over .
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
U think those rockfish were from the Seaforth? Those guys rape those same 4-5 rockpiles over and over .
I've only been on one cattle boat that had a descender on board. Not saying they used it, just saying they had it on board.

Good on you for descending those fish
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
iethinker

Thanks for sending the rockfish back down.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
FISH11

Talking

Good job on the Decent of the rock fish. I saw the same thing on rock fish season opener out at at 250' and about 6 private boater in the area. Everyone should care, but there are TOO MANY A HOLES in this world. I wish I could use them for shark bait, but they probably can't swim as good as a greenback.

Last edited by FISH11; 06-16-2021 at 07:28 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #10
Gflann

Great report! You might have come fishless but full of good fish karma!
Old 06-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Enjoyed the report and photos. Awesome that you were able to equalize the floaters and help recover some of the yard sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Good going on the rockfish. Think I caught the same BSB on Sat. or at least a sibling. Lots of batrays around out deeper also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
Thanks for sending the rockfish back down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gflann View Post
Great report! You might have come fishless but full of good fish karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I've only been on one cattle boat that had a descender on board. Not saying they used it, just saying they had it on board.

Good on you for descending those fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Thanks all. It's so easy to descend a fish. Takes like 60 seconds max. It's amazing to me that so few people do it. I don't know if it's carelessness or lack of knowledge(probably both). Can't say for sure if it was the Seaforth or not. There were private boats all around too so it could have been anyone. I'd like to think the cattle boats would be more concerned about the longevity of their local fishery enough just just leave floaters all around like that. ALL anglers should care, but those that make a living at it even more so. I'm sure there were more fish I couldn't see or get to, but I did what I could.