Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
troutking

I have a 2010 Toyota 4 runner and a 2013 Toyota Tacoma. Wouldn't mind getting rid of one of em. PM me if you are interested.
troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Outback or the cross-trek. One of these two will likely be my next ride.
I have a '99 Subaru Forester and a truck. The Forester works good for me. I used to throw my folded porta-bote on top and all the accessories inside and had plenty of room. I use it now to transport my 12' Tarpon around. 4 cylinder and AWD.
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #23
Tuff guy

I love my wrangler unlimited. Does not get 20mpg though...
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Lipripper92592

Had a 2001 taco 4x4 Total Chaos long travel with 33's, probably around 19-20 on the highway, sold it with 139,000 for $9500, still running strong down here in SD. Have had two Grand Cherokee's the since 2010, just sold a WJ and bought a 2005 WK with a 5.7 Hemi, 4' lift and 33's....and yes it does burn gas, but heated seats, lockers front and rear and power to pull puts a smile on my face. Just about any moded jeep or taco will get you anywhere....Moab, to Baja and anywhere in between. The new Cherokee's have a great diesel engine.....720 miles on a tank.
If you decide to buy new, keep in mind that the moment you drive off the lot....your resell value has dropped significantly. Buying used ( of course inspected and in good condition) is usually a better deal than new. Paying more for a fuel efficient vehicle versus a less fuel efficient vehicle added a reduced cost....well do the math....5-6 grand buys a lot of gas.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #25
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by chxh8me View Post
I bought my mother-in-laws old awd CRV to use as my outdoorsman beater. It's been awesome. I seem to drive it more than my challenger. Perfect setup for camping, snowboarding, fishing, kayaking, etc... Like you are look are looking for. And as I mentioned, it's a beater (1999), so I don't care if I scratch the crap out of it. But it's been an extremely solid car for all my needs. It's not flashy, and the wife hates driving around in it with me... But I've grown attached to it.

Maybe look into a penta star v6 grand cherokee? I think that gets 25mpg highway, and you can probably find a new one in your price range. I'm digging the ecodiesel v6 that they put in the grand cherokee limited. Good gas mileage (30 highway) and rated for 7400lb towing I believe (someday I'd like to get a boat). Unfortunately they only put the ecodiesel in the limited version and higher end models which bumps it up to 40k or more. I'm still debating on getting rid of the beater and the challenger and picking one up.
I have 2000 and it goes everywhere. 170,000 miles and still purring.
Use it more than my 2500 silverado.
my next choice would be a late model cherokee/straight 6
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
FISH11

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, any trim model you care for. New would be great because they are improved all the time. I you are looking on a bugget looked used. I have had several and currently drive a 1999 limited 4x4 with a 2" lift, larger tires etc, etc. Of all the cars, vans, trucks I have owned it is the best vehicle all around. They drive more like a car (sweet ride and sports car handling) goes everywhere and I don't have to get out and engage anything. When I get to snow or sand, fishing or hunting, all I do is just keep driving. It does not have that rough truck ride all large or Japanese trucks do. Parts are a lot less expensive and it is easier to find someone that can work on then if you need. It has 202,000 miles and runs like new. Buy American. I work at a Japanese car dealer and used to work on the cars and trucks, they are not as trouble free as people like to think and parts and labor are expensive. So if you don't work on the vehicle your self it going to cost. My jeep has carried anything I ever carried on trucks I owned and it's a great tow vehicle. I personaly would choose the V8 engine because of the extra power and only about 1 to 1 1/2 miles per gallon less in milage. The V8 engine does not have to work as hard and that means keeping the RPM down saves fuel. If available get the later model that has a Hemi. Best all around vehicle. Can't beat heated leather seats, 4X4, AC climate control, etc. etc.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
solyluna

2006 2500 Silverado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140426_102728.jpg (66.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20131013_140656.jpg (89.0 KB, 167 views)
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #28
5-20

I'm probably a little biased, but I think my truck has exactly what you're looking for. It's a 2002 Tundra 4x4 with the 3.4 V6 engine.

I love this truck... It's my 6th 4x4 truck and this one is the best, best, best one I've had in terms of being an overall awesome daily driver that meets my needs for everything (especially since I've only needed to tow a bass boat and nothing huge with it and that V6 did the job adequately) while also giving me awesome gas mileage for a 4x4.

In Texas I consistently got 20-22 on the hwy and probably 18-20 in the city. The city driving MPG is probably what I like the best about this truck. All of the other 4x4's I've had were decent on the highways but absolute gas pigs in the city. Not so with my truck, possibly because the body's the old style and smaller/lighter than most full size pickups. Admittedly, here, my mileage's slightly lower, because the area's a lot more mountainous than texas, but I'm completely fine with what it's giving me.

Another nice thing about this truck is it's a tweener, falling in between the tacoma and those newer full sized tundras and any of the other full sized pickups. Parking and maneuvering in tight spaces are a lot easier with this truck.

Just food for thought. The 3.4 V6 is a fantastic motor. I picked my truck up with 87k and I just hit 157k. Zero problems with it other than needing to replace the radiator and alternator. People often comment on the 3.4 about it being one of the best motors Toyota ever came out with.

And if anyone's wondering, no, the truck's not for sale.

But admittedly, I kind of like the thought of getting a FJ Cruiser. The 4.0 V6 in that truck's pretty awesome and it seems like people who drive reasonably get around 18-20 MPG in that truck, based on what I've read on some of the toyota forums but really, I just don't think I can ever drive anything other than a pickup ever again. Just waaaay too convenient having that bed in the back for all of that gear, and to sleep in. Yeah, on one or two night camping trips, I'll just sleep in my truck -- tons easier than messing with a tent.

Good luck with your decision!!!

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #29
shawny

Thumbs up THANKS!!

Thanks, everybody, for all the advice! I ended up leasing a 2014 Tacoma Double-cab 4x2 PreRunner TRD Sport V6 from Cabe Toyota yesterday. Joe Garcia at Cabe is AWESOME! Definitely definitely definitely recommend going to Cabe if you're looking to buy a Toyota.

Will determine at the end of my lease if the Tacoma is for me, or if I need a bigger truck, or if I'm more of an SUV guy. Again, thanks BWE for all the advice! Helped a bunch.

(and now.. the hunt for a yak begins...)
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #30
cell128
lizard king

Looks like the short bed. Its the same one I got but mines an 07. Your gonna need a bed extender for anything over 10ft. I had to get one for my outback.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #31
shawny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
Looks like the short bed. Its the same one I got but mines an 07. Your gonna need a bed extender for anything over 10ft. I had to get one for my outback.

Yup. Will likely get this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2HWC6/...=I6EMSZCUT0FKV

If anybody has any suggestions for getting a 13-14ft yak on a Taco double-cab short bed feel free to shout out! Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #32
janines.fishtales@cox.net

beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawny View Post
Thanks, everybody, for all the advice! I ended up leasing a 2014 Tacoma Double-cab 4x2 PreRunner TRD Sport V6 from Cabe Toyota yesterday. Joe Garcia at Cabe is AWESOME! Definitely definitely definitely recommend going to Cabe if you're looking to buy a Toyota.

Will determine at the end of my lease if the Tacoma is for me, or if I need a bigger truck, or if I'm more of an SUV guy. Again, thanks BWE for all the advice! Helped a bunch.

(and now.. the hunt for a yak begins...)

I have owned a Tacoma since 2002. I have a 2013 now. I will never own anything else. I love them! Enjoy your new ride!

J
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #33
cell128
lizard king

I've had my taco for 6 years And I love it.....just oil changes and it runs like a champ.

cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #34
EDC

Tacoma or the Subaru. I would lean more towards a Tacoma though because it is a truck and you can do everything with a truck. Both cars hold their value very well so you can't go wrong with either. I have an 04 Ford f150 FX4 which is great except I will never be able to sell it for anything and on a good day with upgraded intake and exhaust I only squeeze out 13.5mpg. Trucks sure are convenient though.
EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #35
tacmik

I think you should have got a mule.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #36
Hunters Pa

Since I just picked up a PA I am now looking for a truck - time to get rid of my Envoy XUV. Looks like the Taco is getting thumbs-up all around. Don't need anything fancy, just a Home Depot runner and yak hauler. I have a Civic for commuting and wife has a nice SUV for family outings.

What should I look out for on higher mileage Tacomas? Other trucks to consider?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #37
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Since I just picked up a PA I am now looking for a truck - time to get rid of my Envoy XUV. Looks like the Taco is getting thumbs-up all around. Don't need anything fancy, just a Home Depot runner and yak hauler. I have a Civic for commuting and wife has a nice SUV for family outings.

What should I look out for on higher mileage Tacomas? Other trucks to consider?
IF going with 4x4 check the CV boots, and spindle bearings, engage the E locker to make sure it works. Check out the "grey wire" mod online for a bonus! Check out the heads and look for leaks, coolant or oil. Test drive a few, the fellow I sold mine to stated that my taco with 139,000 had more power than others with around 80,000, so how it's driven and taken care of can make a difference in resell value.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #38
Vansmack
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Get a Subaru Outback.
I was going to suggest a Subi, but the Forester, a little cheaper then the Outback, same kind of features. My wife recently got one with the 2.5 four.Plenty of power for what it is, and lots of room inside. We just did a weekend trip and avg over 30MPG, 25MPG commuting. Looking at roof racks for it now for bikes, kayaks and things.

Nice looking truck Shawny. Everybody needs a truck!
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #39
JDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Get a Subaru Outback. It's full-time AWD and with a 4-cyl, you get 24-30MPG.

I have an Outback and a truck, although I use the truck mostly because I have a PA (too damn heavy) now, I used to load a tandem Hobie on the Outback.

Trucks are nice, but realistically, you're gonna get 19MPG on Avg.

The Subaru Outback fits your needs perfectly, including the cost. Tacoma trucks aren't cheap! V6s get you to $30k quick.
I have a Subaru outback as well. I also have a small trailer for truck'n needs. The infotainment sucks but it runs like a champ off road and on.
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
Fish n Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff guy View Post
I love my wrangler unlimited. Does not get 20mpg though...
+1 Love my Wrangler JKU.. Im regeared with 37s and get 12/16 mpg city/Hwy. Definitely not something I would load a PA on though wih a 6' lift lol. Fits my Hobie Outback perfectly though..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (67.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (60.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0994.jpg (68.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 333.jpg (70.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Poser3.jpg (65.4 KB, 23 views)
Fish n Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote