Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Soft Tako input neeeded

I was shopping for new fishing gear and came across some interesting looking rigs through Charkbait, Toro Tamer Soft Tako.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cscToroTamer-Tako.htm

They look like they'd work pretty well but I was curious if anybody had any real input on their performance? For the price they look like they might be worth a shot
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
LastCast
Junior

I use the large size(110gm/3.8oz) for Lings. The first thing I do is remove the treble hook behind the head. Then I add an assist hook(like you would put on a butterfly jig) to sit between the tentacles. Attach the assist hook to the bend in the original hook and down through the soft taco body. In the photos you can see two variations. One has the original hook as well as the assist hook. If I am going to add a dropper loop above the soft taco, then I cut off the barb on the original hook and bend the end down into the bait. On the dropper loop I add a shrimp fly or even the smallest 25gm/.88oz soft taco. I coat it with Unibutter. Beta at Charkbait in Huntington Beach told me about adding the assist hook. He said it is good for Calico's in the kelp. I haven't tried that yet. I've just used them jigging and banging the bottom for Lings, Cabs and Rockfish. I decided to try these because of all the Octopi that have been regurgitated out from the Lings. Seems like Octopus are what they love to eat. If I'm not getting bit, I'll switch over to 6 1/2" Big Hammers on a heavy jig head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3713b.jpg (157.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3716b.jpg (160.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3715b.jpg (116.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3719b.jpg (176.7 KB, 156 views)
LastCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Thanks for the feedback. I've caught a few fish with an octopus inside their belly and even had them cough one up after I've thrown them in the tankwell to continue fishing. That's why I was thinking these would kick ass but wasn't sure about their presentation or how they held up.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've caught a few fish with an octopus inside their belly and even had them cough one up after I've thrown them in the tankwell to continue fishing. That's why I was thinking these would kick ass but wasn't sure about their presentation or how they held up.
X2

Every Toad I pull up off the bottom pukes up a small Octopus once on deck..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
kayachapi

Thanks for this.

Ever since my sons and I went to Montana de Oro, and Johnny boy brought up a nice Ling that was puking up octopus, I've been dreaming of a lure like this. The first Ling puked up an octopus, he grabbed it, pinned it up, dropped down and got another nice Ling. This circle of life went on for quite a while. I have never seen a decent soft octopus rep and have spent countless hours trying to figure out how to make one. I will definitely stock up on these for next May's central coast opener. If anyone wants to plan on hitting the opener on may first, camping at MDO campground, (really nice, and you can use Morrow Bay campground for water, shower and dump) we will be there and the fishing is incredible. Thanks again, all fired up.
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Can't wait to try this bad boy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1414202138480.jpg (26.7 KB, 53 views)