Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

I beat a seal

With my paddle as it tried to eat my fish bleeding on the game clip , then kicked it on its forehead.

I don't feel bad at all.

Thinking of rigging a boning knife to a stick.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Highly illegal, but what are you gonna do? Being nitpicky I know, but it was probably a sea lion. It's a pet peeve of mine, sorry. I like seals, hate sea lions.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
lowprofile

Ya, young sealion. And actually there was a law published that in self defense you could use deadly force against a sea lions, but I guess it stealing a fish isn't really self defense lol.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
PE.rider

I can relate, but getting mad will probably lead to bad karma...

Why not buy a decent catch bag like the one on the online store?

Precision Pak YakCatch Fish Bag
Insulated game bag
PRICE: $69.95

Keeps, Jaws, Pelicans, and other annoying fish thieves from taking your hard-earned prize...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE.rider View Post
I can relate, but getting mad will probably lead to bad karma...

Why not buy a decent catch bag like the one on the online store?

Precision Pak YakCatch Fish Bag
Insulated game bag
PRICE: $69.95

Keeps, Jaws, Pelicans, and other annoying fish thieves from taking your hard-earned prize...
Those are great, after its bleed out. Lol. The back of the yak and a gunny sack work too.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
todd one

I had to club one of those black birds with the long necks over the head with my paddle. He was following me around trying to take my bait. I hate those things.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Paintball marker works great, put on on his neck and they never come back.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
FARRIER

If I recall the defense of yourself, property, or catch is reason to use force. Anytime a seal tries to steal your catch while it is attached to your kayak pretty much grants you all 3 criteria.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
bigbarrels

I was out a couple nights ago and watched a guy on a private boat beat a pelican over the head three times with his fishing rod....I could not believe this douche bag. I peddled towards the guy keeping the pelican between us and it appeared he had killed the pelican. As I kept going towards the pelican the pelican woke up but obviously wasn't doing too well. The guy was laughing and said he just knocked it out. I was pretty pissed off and told the guy that was fucked up....He stated the pelican was trying to get his bait (and he had been loading up on bait) and so I said so you hit it over the head three times with your rod.....he said the bait had a hook in it and so I said then you do like the rest of us and take the hook out of its mouth and put more bait on.....the guy apologized twice for his action but I told him he broke its right wing and essentially it was a dead bird.......I didn't see a boat name and couldn't see a CF number but I would have loved to turn this douche bag in........I told him this is exactly what gives fisherman a bad name.....again he was apologetic and if I was a young buck I would of been on his boat beating him with his rod....this is a protected species and one I love to see when I'm on the water......If I hook one I get it in and get the hook out and let it go without creating any injury to the animal.

I love to be out on the water and enjoy all the wildlife that I encounter. Whether I catch fish or not I always feel like I have had a great day due to the total experience. Witnessing a guy due this type of stuff was a real buzz kill and makes fisherman look bad. Striking a sealion with a paddle is likely not going to do any damage and only get him a way from your fish....but attaching a knife to injure or kill a sea lion is illegal and pretty messed up thought process in my opinion.....and again gives fisherman a bad name.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/...niasealion.htm
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Mongo Johnson

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
I was out a couple nights ago and watched a guy on a private boat beat a pelican over the head three times with his fishing rod....I could not believe this douche bag. I peddled towards the guy keeping the pelican between us and it appeared he had killed the pelican. As I kept going towards the pelican the pelican woke up but obviously wasn't doing too well. The guy was laughing and said he just knocked it out. I was pretty pissed off and told the guy that was fucked up....He stated the pelican was trying to get his bait (and he had been loading up on bait) and so I said so you hit it over the head three times with your rod.....he said the bait had a hook in it and so I said then you do like the rest of us and take the hook out of its mouth and put more bait on.....the guy apologized twice for his action but I told him he broke its right wing and essentially it was a dead bird.......I didn't see a boat name and couldn't see a CF number but I would have loved to turn this douche bag in........I told him this is exactly what gives fisherman a bad name.....again he was apologetic and if I was a young buck I would of been on his boat beating him with his rod....this is a protected species and one I love to see when I'm on the water......If I hook one I get it in and get the hook out and let it go without creating any injury to the animal.

I love to be out on the water and enjoy all the wildlife that I encounter. Whether I catch fish or not I always feel like I have had a great day due to the total experience. Witnessing a guy due this type of stuff was a real buzz kill and makes fisherman look bad. Striking a sealion with a paddle is likely not going to do any damage and only get him a way from your fish....but attaching a knife to injure or kill a sea lion is illegal and pretty messed up thought process in my opinion.....and again gives fisherman a bad name.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/...niasealion.htm
You have to remember I have a gaff and 9" fillet knife with me and opted for the paddle and foot.

Im sure The knife on a stick seems like a good idea to anyone when you have a fish on board and the seals want it.

Saw a dead pelican and two scuba chickens out there.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
bigbarrels

I'm a fan of a paddle and foot for a large mammal that could put you in the drink.......you will not create great harm and will get it away from you and your fish........just not into seriously injuring these animals ie knife on a stick.....and they are a protected species
Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
I'm a fan of a paddle and foot for a large mammal that could put you in the drink.......you will not create great harm and will get it away from you and your fish........just not into seriously injuring these animals ie knife on a stick.....and they are a protected species
I'm with you 100% Bigbarrels. Thank you for speaking out and protecting our air support! A lot of these birds have helped me spot the YTs resulting in big time hooks ups. Many of these birds are air support for kayakers much like the tuna boats depend on their helicopters for air support to spot tuna.

If i ever see anyone beating a bird to a pulp with a rod i'm calling the coastgaurd and local lifegaurd immediately!!! I have both numers on speed dial.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
StinkyMatt

What better way to get the rest of our fishing grounds shut down.

You gonna injure a sea lion because you were not able to bleed your fiish in peace?

With that attitude, I hope a sea lion eats your next 10 YT.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
What better way to get the rest of our fishing grounds shut down.

You gonna injure a sea lion because you were not able to bleed your fiish in peace?

With that attitude, I hope a sea lion eats your next 10 YT.
x2 amen.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
October
Fish Whisperer

its kind of funny, we go into their home and act like we own the place and then flip our lids when they react and try to take back whats always been theirs.

its like if a sea lion came into your house, started eating out of your fridge and then you get pissed and walk over to it to stop it and suddenly the sea lion pulls out a knife or a giant paddle and starts swinging at your head, screaming: "GET OUT OF HERE HUMAN!"
Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
yaker81
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
With my paddle as it tried to eat my fish bleeding on the game clip , then kicked it on its forehead.

I don't feel bad at all.

Thinking of rigging a boning knife to a stick.

Ridiculous!!!!
yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Whizz Bang

What????

I made the mistake of checking the site and my oh my, what do I see, heckling and harrassment for sharing.

Where are the Mods? I see several posters above that need to be banned for at least a week.

Are we enforcing the no heckling, bullying, right to post philosophy or not?

Andy, Adi, where are you guys????

Selective enforcement of the new policy does not work, consistency does.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
October
Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
What????

I made the mistake of checking the site and my oh my, what do I see, heckling and harrassment for sharing.

Where are the Mods? I see several posters above that need to be banned for at least a week.

Are we enforcing the no heckling, bullying, right to post philosophy or not?

Andy, Adi, where are you guys????

Selective enforcement of the new policy does not work, consistency does.

i think it turned south once he mentioned strapping a knife to the end of a pole (which would be for stabbing the sea lion obviously).

Oh wait...are you being sarcastic? I cant tell

stupid internet
Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
MrM

Popcorn in 3...2...1...