Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #21
Whiteboy

Go to laurel lake most beautiful lake in the area. You can camp for free below it. Just outside of mammoth. Hit hot tubs near benton crossing. Check benton crossing out. (That's a very regulated area make sure you check the dates carefully) check out the mono craters. There's a lot more to see in that area. There's jess farm (think that's the name) alpers breeders. Make sure you hit lundy lake. There is so much history in those montains lots of old mines. My favorite is above Lee Vining. Once you turn off 395 and head up tioga pass look for the signs to boy scout camp. It is one of the coolest mines and views in the entire area. Then don't skip bridge port. There's a lot to see and do there. Go to Bodie it's a bit out of way but best preserved ghost town in the country. Twin lakes. On Tioga pass there are a few lakes. Have had 60 trout days up there. And by day I mean couple hours. June lake loop is cool but follow the streams inbetween the lakes. There's also a lot of rough camp sights around grant lake that are free and very secluded. If you want a trophies brook trout go to walker lake and head up trail head to little sardine. It has produced trophies brookies the past 3 times Ivery been there. All in the 4lb range. Beautiful fish. Grant lake has big German trout. Not many people bother to fish it. Go to Lee Vining campground head to power plant fish stream below that. Also good place to camp. I could just keep going. Spent a whole month there one year riding dirt bikes and fishing best month of my life.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #22
Whizz Bang

Thank you all for the thoughtful and insightful replies. I have taken many notes and cannot wait to start my own family memories up there. Thanks for coming through again guys.
I will post for sure.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #23
Saba Slayer

Whizz Bang

Whizz Bang...PM me your email address and I'll send you an e-mail copy of the magazine article...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Whizz Bang...PM me your email address and I'll send you an e-mail copy of the magazine article...
Jim's info was good to go...Gull Lake. One over-night set, two traps. 12' of water. Macks for bait. We had 100's of XL dads. Released most. Very cool experience. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Traps.jpg (55.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (89.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Pott.jpg (170.7 KB, 81 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
Rambo

Dam those are some huge crawdad, i'm not even sure there crawdad or crayfish anymore. It's more like mini lobster to me.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #26
Whizz Bang

I'm thinking full Monty on the boil, served with a crusty French bread and killer remoulade.

Kids are gonna lose their tiny minds....and probably have pizza for dinner. Baby steps.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #27
Hunters Pa

For the kids we would race them. Draw a circle and put a bunch in the middle. First one out is the winner. The rest go into the pot. Repeat
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #28
bluesquids

I've dove Gull lake for crawdads ever other year for the last ten years. Would just take enough of the big guys to make killer omlettes with bacon, cheese and avocado. Waaaay more fun than just pulling up a loaded trap. Lifetime memories for my boy.
Just got back from this years trip and they were very very scarce and much smaller.
It's a small lake...I can't help but think it's getting too much pressure now.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #29
tacmik

If the crawdads are there, you might take some string with you, tie a piece of baloney on it and let the kids try and catch some themselves. Always loved doing that when I was a kid.