Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
wade

Turnin' & Burnin' 'N The ShallowZ..

You’ve all heard the term “When eat peanuts” mostly in reference to finesse fishing with micro baits for Beasts, but what about those voracious predators who eat mealZ more than half their own size?!
In a fruitless attempt to ward off smaller bycatch yesterday, I upsized the stock DieZel Chatterbait 4” trailer to Z-Man 6” SwimmerZ in Sexy Mullet, to get a more erratic wobble action while also gaining a little extra casting distance with the larger swimbait profile. At least that’s what worked for that Halibut I just released the previous session..
Went back to the far back, super south to be exact & just off the flats break line in three to four feet + with bomber casts & wind at my back, drifting the shallows was a blast producing tuggers on topwater offerings almost every third huck. Steady burns of the DieZel Chatterbait as well as 'Stop-tip-up-drop-burn-BURN and it was ON! After multiple sessions & well over 70+ Calico Bass, Spotted Bay Bass, snaggle-toothed Corvina's & even a few California Halibut thrown in the mix couldn’t tear the tail off my trusty ElaZtech swimbait. That’s singular btw. Horrible visibility but the Corvinas dancing aerials once hooked made up for it 10X. Got a bunch of quality Spottys too on Reebs Quick limits Swimjigs + Z-Man's 6” SwimmerZ in Bad Shad. C&R.

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
wade

ELAZTECH

Old 10-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
wade

10X TOUGH!!!!!

Watch in HD.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
MrPatrick

What was that bat looking bait at the end? Some type of Craw bait?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Deamon

Good stuff Wade. I dig your passion. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Get some!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
DESTROYER

Awesome Wade! Glad to see you playing with the bass. Gotta get you out on the new sled sometime.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Very kewl fangs.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
You’ve all heard the term “When eat peanuts” mostly in reference to finesse fishing with micro baits for Beasts, but what about those voracious predators who eat mealZ more than half their own size?!
In a fruitless attempt to ward off smaller bycatch yesterday, I upsized the stock DieZel Chatterbait 4” trailer to Z-Man 6” SwimmerZ in Sexy Mullet, to get a more erratic wobble action while also gaining a little extra casting distance with the larger swimbait profile. At least that’s what worked for that Halibut I just released the previous session..
Went back to the far back, super south to be exact & just off the flats break line in three to four feet + with bomber casts & wind at my back, drifting the shallows was a blast producing tuggers on topwater offerings almost every third huck. Steady burns of the DieZel Chatterbait as well as 'Stop-tip-up-drop-burn-BURN and it was ON! After multiple sessions & well over 70+ Calico Bass, Spotted Bay Bass, snaggle-toothed Corvina's & even a few California Halibut thrown in the mix couldn’t tear the tail off my trusty ElaZtech swimbait. That’s singular btw. Horrible visibility but the Corvinas dancing aerials once hooked made up for it 10X. Got a bunch of quality Spottys too on Reebs Quick limits Swimjigs + Z-Man's 6” SwimmerZ in Bad Shad. C&R.
Wade,

I just bought the diesel chatterbait and it only came in 1/4 oz. Is that the size that you used with the 6" swimmerz? On the website it looks like the diesel chatterbaits only come in the 1/4 size? Any other larger sizes available?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
wade

DieZel Chatterbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Wade,
I just bought the diesel chatterbait and it only came in 1/4 oz. Is that the size that you used with the 6" swimmerz? On the website it looks like the diesel chatterbaits only come in the 1/4 size? Any other larger sizes available?
Hey Buddha!

Yes That is the size I upgraded it with both the 5" PaddlerZ & 6" SwimmerZ.
(The stock 4" trailer works great too!) 2016 maybe a PaddlerZ or SwimmerZ Chatterbait?...
Oh yea plenty of others here's the heaviest.
Big Game Chatterbait (1 oz+ discontinued but can you can find on ebay,overstock etc..) http://www.overstockbait.com/Product...Z7TBoCGm7w_wcB

Don’t let the "DieZel" Chatterbait's 1/4 oz size fool ya..I know I did..
There are heavier versionZ, The DieZel Chatterbait might be the lightest offering in my tacklebox, but it has proved its weight in gold, to be more than productive. With the proper set up you can launch it far to get ANY distance required and still having all the sensitivity to feel the slightest bumps while working the shallows.
Varying retrieves will of course allow you to fish this deeper in the water column, although the 6" SwimmerZ larger profile & weight will get ya longer casts especially with the wind at your back. I thought it would help ward off runt spottys, but that theory failed miserably, as my last vid showed how 10”+ spotties would & could inhale a 6” trailer + the whole jig!?..
When I get hit HARD on the DieZel, is when I am burning it back, and take my hand off the crank for just a split second to re-adjust my rudder in the wind & WHAM!
I just lost another..
So, with this theory I simply added a couple second pause to the retrieve here & there, and whaddayaknow..they love the fall from the burn & attack it textbook.

This 1/4 Oz. DieZel Chatterbait is right at home in the saltwater marshes. It can be equally as productive over here on the west though.
(Essentially they took their Chatterbait Redfish lure from 2013 and redesigned it on steroids discontinuing the Redfish model and running it now as the DieZel Chatterbait.) When I was last at my fishing lodge in Florida I caught countless inshore fish all on the Chatterbait Redfish like Snook, Reds, Speckled Trout, Jacks, Cuda, Bluefish, Flounder, and even a decent Tarpon while I was down in the Keys. Note that the stock DieZel MinnowZ trailer works great, but I am always customizing rigs for different applications. 5” PaddlerZ are probably my favorite trailer on anything especially the DieZel Chatterbait. The action is unparalleled. When upgrading to a 6” SwimmerZ trailer, make sure to perfectly rig straight in & out of the dorsal to keep perfectly in tune. (If you come out the side of the 6” bait slightly you will have a potato chip rig..) Additionally, the Chatterbait’s blade makes this lure work overtime as a weed guard. Fishing the bay there is broken cluttered eel grass throughout the upper water column. Throwing spinnerbaits sometimes becomes a problem fouling up constantly making it more of a headache. This is where the Chatterbait can excel. When you feel an obstruction like a ribbon of seagrass latch onto your Chatterbait throwing off its flutter, one can easily twitch the rod or make 1 false hook set and get the Chatterbait right back into proper tune without having to retrieve the lure and clean by hand wasting more time..

Deepwater Halibut application: Take DieZel Chatterbait & place on the end of your 3-way rig. Forgo the dodger and hoochie completely.

First order of the morning regardless of tidal movement is to hit the “wake up alarm” for the fish & no better way than casting a Chatterbait over the grass tables, beds and transitionals. Once @ low tide I will burn top water offerings on the flats initial ridge breaks right over the deeper pockets where big retreating fish are at. Usually these areas are flooded at peak and the fish are roaming elsewhere..

Misc plastic trailers of choice, CrawZ, Frogs, Twin Tails, ShrimpZ, Palmetto BugZ, endless possibilities…..
Idiot proof method of loading up the boat in transit from Spot A to Spot B. Cast out a nice one, place in rod holder…

The Chatterbait was first brought to the LMB scene and has won countless anglers BIG $$ for the BassMaster Classic, FLW, and many tourneys all over..
http://www.bassmaster.com/gear/lets-...-chatterbaits#

The Original Chatterbait design comes in a variety of weights up to:

Original 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 Ounce sizes

Elite Chatterbait 3/8, 1/2

Mini Chatterbait 1/4

Micro Chatterbait1/8

Flashback Mini Chatterbait 1/16

Chatterbait Pro 5/8 weed guard (Discountinued in 2015)

Chatterbait Pro 2 3/8 (Discountinued in 2015)

(Chatterfrog 3/8 might be discontinued 15’ I think..)

Some call ‘em Bladed Swimjigs, Vibrator Jigs, etc, but they are all imitators of the Original Chaterbait.

Last edited by wade; 11-02-2014 at 10:03 AM.