Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
SHRED

Rod storage for the way in

I'm looking for a solution to attach my 3 rods for the way back in through the surf. I have been bundling them and attaching them via the paddle bungee on my older Hobie Outback.
Fortunately I leash them also since the paddle bungee doesn't hold them in the surf very well.

What can I get that would give me a secure way to mount my rods along the side of my Outback?
SHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
cesar74

I usually remove the reels from the rods and zip tie the rods together then I do what you do & bungee them on the kayak. If they come off the bungie they stay together & wash up on the beach.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar74 View Post
I usually remove the reels from the rods and zip tie the rods together then I do what you do & bungee them on the kayak. If they come off the bungie they stay together & wash up on the beach.

God that's so much work.

My suggestion is to time the waves and learn how to not flip in the surf. Then no extra steps are required.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Rambo

Practice surf launch and landing with no gears. So next time just jump off don't wait for your kayak to flip.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
LBKayakDude

I stay just outside the break, watch, wait, let a few waves pass by and when I'm ready I'll paddle quickly just as a wave passes me but stay behind it. The wave will carry you with it and when it breaks you get a nice boost up on to the beach. Just don't paddle too fast and get in front of wave, then you're screwed As for storing your rods, I always keep all mine leashed to the yak. Haven't had any issues yet. Hope that helps some.
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
steveooo

Hobie makes a horizontal rod holder kit. Pretty clean. A little bit of rope or webbing can also be used with t for a little peace of mind on the days when it's really thumping.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=16115
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
cesar74

God that's so much work!

I should have worded that a bit different. When I'm landing in big surf (3'-4' / county line) and I don't want to pack my reels with sand & spend hours cleaning them then I remove them from the rods. La Jolla not so much, I just leash them down.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
PAL

Practice, practice, practice, and learn how to use your paddle. I know it's hard to take a day off when the fishing is so good. Otherwise just keep doing what you're doing Ted.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
TINCANYAK
Junior

Saturday was my very first time out at LJ and although the bite was slow I did come away with a great experience, greater appreciation of the experience and the experts who have it figured out. Surf launched for the first time at 6:30, broke the tip off my G-Loomis trying to pull line hooked on kelp, drifted way out and spent 2 hours paddling in the pm only to roll it coming in before a packed house. Saved the pearl only to veer left and ended upside-down. Thankful I had almost everything tied down. Good grief I still had a blast and will write it off as "putting in the time." I had taken dedicated practice time to flip, climb in and out, but never practiced coming in on the surf. Figured my surfing background would suffice.......wrong. Learning much from this website and will continue on. Practice return in surf and securing is important.
Thank you all for sharing with us juniors.
John
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
radastaff

if you jump out early
just be careful to make sure your not jumping into a troft\channel running parallel to the beach
(have done this a few times and it sucks)

I usually jump off early at LJ and walk it in
since its so flat there

otherwise stow them inside hatch if ya can
or add landyard and clip/secure them to the yak somehow

I think plano makes plastic rod holder containers
but u would have to remove reels first
and it would be crazy bulky thing to keep with you while u fish

better the have to clean them
then loose them in the surf
unless they have floats attached
in the surf there is some chance you wont find them

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINCANYAK View Post
Saturday was my very first time out at LJ and although the bite was slow I did come away with a great experience, greater appreciation of the experience and the experts who have it figured out. Surf launched for the first time at 6:30, broke the tip off my G-Loomis trying to pull line hooked on kelp, drifted way out and spent 2 hours paddling in the pm only to roll it coming in before a packed house. Saved the pearl only to veer left and ended upside-down. Thankful I had almost everything tied down. Good grief I still had a blast and will write it off as "putting in the time." I had taken dedicated practice time to flip, climb in and out, but never practiced coming in on the surf. Figured my surfing background would suffice.......wrong. Learning much from this website and will continue on. Practice return in surf and securing is important.
Thank you all for sharing with us juniors.
John
Ive been there and done that too..I got sideways on my first trip coming in but never dumped it yet. Even on this last time out this past Saturday (My 6th) I still got caught on some kelp that wasn't visible on my fishfinder..both lines were caught up..took both rods out of holders unleashed them..(HORRIBLE MISTAKE) as I was working one, had the other by my feet with bail open..somehow bail closed and the rod slingshotted out of yak and down to the bottom..everytime I go out, I learn..and still haven't hooked YT yet..but it still is a blast!