Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Dannowar

Ever been to Mexican jail?

I have.... Now

Just spent 4 hours in jail for surfing a Beach that was "closed due to large waves"

Mexican jail is not anywhere anyone wants to be. Luckily a local who watched the whole thing helped out my wife and friend to bail us out. I've been fishing and surfing Mexico for many years and never had a problem. These last few days I was getting really jaded on coming down here (or anywhere in baja), until a random observer on the beach walked miles and directed my friends and family to our rescue. Knowing SOME Spanish helped a bit but now I'm 130 dollars lighter and a whole lot stoked to be out of that filth hole. Anyways, fishing east cape tomorrow via panga, hopefully the hurricane hasn't scattered everything.

Everyone stay safe and keep those lines tight

I'm gonna go get wasted and maybe buy a lottery ticket. Pics later.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Damn dude! That's a scary moment for you and a scary thought for me. I go down to baja a lot. You down there solo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Go to jail for surfing?

Whats next go to jail for fishing...?!

If you really did go to jail you got lucky you got out so cheap...
Next time dont tell em your on team lolipop...!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
jorluivil

Been there done that.

I spent about 8hrs in a jail in Ensenada. If I told you what I went through in those 8hrs you'd ask why I continue to go back to Mexico.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Been there done that.

I spent about 8hrs in a jail in Ensenada. If I told you what I went through in those 8hrs you'd ask why I continue to go back to Mexico.

Did they take the profile picture of you while you were in?

Just kidding!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Did they take the profile picture of you while you were in?

Just kidding!

Pictures are proof and Mexicans jails don't like to have proof.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Dannowar

I have a picture of us getting arrested. And one coming out of jail. Can't wait to upload them :
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
easyday

glad your ok man.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 AM   #9
Deamon

Danny! Bummer on that for sure. I was once accused of a hit and run just past Rosarito as we headed for Puerto Nuevo. Taken to police station and was screamed at by the Police Chief with big black mustache and mirror sunglasses (9pm). Didn't get tossed in jail though!

My brother in law was waiting for the sport boats to load up down in Ensenada and ordered a burrito at a street corner cart. The lady made him 5 burritos and he refused to pay. She started yelling and out of nowhere jumps out a cop and bam...cuffs are on and he's tossed in jail. Luckily the sport boat owner knew him and bailed him out. Good luck down south! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Scary! Having come very close I can only imagine the feeling.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Travel in numbers

Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
The pelican

Major bummer! Sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like a total nightmare.

My girlfriend lives in TJ and I go down there a couple times each week for the past two years. Never had any problems with police or locals and I drive or walk around solo pretty often. Most people I have met in Baja are good folks just living their life.

I have heard stories about police but no run-ins so far. My gut tells me there are certain areas where cops and locals make a little extra $$$ extorting from us gringos and I'm just maybe not spending time in those areas. That's too bad for the people of Baja. Stories like this scare many Americans away from visiting and spending money down there.

Can't wait to see those pics!

Pat
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Travel in numbers
Glad your OK Danno! Sounds like you got real lucky & more than 1 guy was lookin' out for ya..Now hurry up and get bendo on an East Cape Dodo..I'll be back down there in a month..
(Thats what we did while we were doing nothing wrong & the Cops decided that they should throw us Gringos in the Paddy-Piss-Wagon and take us to a desolate section of Mexico closely resembling Dresden Germany just after the war, under heavy machine guns of course, while politely asking for our pin cards & atm #'s with a beautiful AR pointed at you...
Mucho Gusto & Mucho Gracias!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Glad your OK Danno! Sounds like you got real lucky & more than 1 guy was lookin' out for ya..Now hurry up and get bendo on an East Cape Dodo..I'll be back down there in a month..
(Thats what we did while we were doing nothing wrong & the Cops decided that they should throw us Gringos in the Paddy-Piss-Wagon and take us to a desolate section of Mexico closely resembling Dresden Germany just after the war, under heavy machine guns of course, while politely asking for our pin cards & atm #'s with a beautiful AR pointed at you...
Mucho Gusto & Mucho Gracias!

We had a similar incident back in the late 80's. My wife (girlfriend at the time), my sister and her boyfriend (husband now) and I were partying in TJ. As We drove down Avenida Revolucion I suddenly get pulled over. Apparently, I failed to make a complete stop at the invisible stop sign. After a few minutes of the officer saying this and that he asked me to follow him to the station, by this time there was a second cop car so We tailed one while the other was behind us. They ended up driving us to some remote area, pulled me and my sisters boyfriend out of the car, slammed against the car took What money We had and bailed but not before they counted the money in front of us and started arguing about which of the four officers deserved a larger cut.

Fortunately, they left my wife and my sister alone but I'm sure things could have been much worse. Obviously, after driving around the slums of TJ trying to find our way back to a main highway we called it a night.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
We had a similar incident back in the late 80's. My wife (girlfriend at the time), my sister and her boyfriend (husband now) and I were partying in TJ. As We drove down Avenida Revolucion I suddenly get pulled over. Apparently, I failed to make a complete stop at the invisible stop sign. After a few minutes of the officer saying this and that he asked me to follow him to the station, by this time there was a second cop car so We tailed one while the other was behind us. They ended up driving us to some remote area, pulled me and my sisters boyfriend out of the car, slammed against the car took What money We had and bailed but not before they counted the money in front of us and started arguing about which of the four officers deserved a larger cut.

Fortunately, they left my wife and my sister alone but I'm sure things could have been much worse. Obviously, after driving around the slums of TJ trying to find our way back to a main highway we called it a night.
Corruption!
And you guys question why Jorge acts the way that he does!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Dannowar

All is well. Wasn't wide open (the skipjack were) but had a great time and knocked out a bucket list fish (cabrillA) thanks for the kind words everyone.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Nic D

that was a close one... glad everything worked out ok.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
driftwood

I was locked up in that Mexican jail. Song for you mr Dannowar

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic D View Post
that was a close one... glad everything worked out ok.
Thanks man. It really puts life into perspective. The petty sheet is meaningless
Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

Those cabrilla are fun fish to catch. Calico on steroids.