Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Tackle and Tactics | Targeting YT and WSB

Tackle and Tactics | Targeting YT and WSB

If you are new to this forum, or new to kayak fishing in general, I think this video will help you to learn how we fish for these trophy Yellowtail and White Seabass. Not giving away any mindblowing secrets here, just the basics of how to use your gear to get your first YT.

I didn't hook a YT in this video, but I guarantee you if you commit to fishing like this and don't get distracted by other species, you will get your first YT this summer! Cheers!

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
SoCalEDC

Yes. gonna burn this onto a dvd and store it somewhere safe so it never gets lost lol.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Udine219
Banned

Very Nice
Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
matthew7!

Great video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
blitzburgh

Another cool video!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
RK

Nice vid Chris mark at 80 was clearly a 90 pound white seabass
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
TJones

Need pointers

I have some general ideas of what to and not to do, but hit 6 seconds on a PA is another animal. Would love to see you film some of that. I know it would be risky with camera sticking straight up from deck. No chesty strap or head strap?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
fishkiller951
Junior

Great video. Thanks. Still trying to work up the balls to go launch there.
fishkiller951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
ProfessorLongArms

Awesome video as usual. I'm totally grabbing one of those tactical vest mounts for my gopro. that's pretty awesome.

A couple of questions for you- I'd like to understand the reverse dropper loop better...

I'd imagine the key benefit to a reverse dropper is convenience. Tie a hook, tie a spider hitch, and you're done, *and* if you're using a big mono topshot, you've got plenty of line to spare to keep cutting and retying rather than having to tie more

I've never tied one. Always done a 3 way rig, which is basically the same thing with a swivel where the spider hitch goes.

One thing I'm not crazy about with the three way rig is that I usually need to make one up the night before, and have a backup in case it breaks off.

Even with the swivel (I tend to use the ones like this ) I have a big issue with twisting. Sometimes I'll pull my bait up and there are 12-20 plus twists in the line and it's pulled the fish in tight to the weight line.

Is this a problem at all with a reverse dropper?
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Awesome video as usual. I'm totally grabbing one of those tactical vest mounts for my gopro. that's pretty awesome.

A couple of questions for you- I'd like to understand the reverse dropper loop better...

I'd imagine the key benefit to a reverse dropper is convenience. Tie a hook, tie a spider hitch, and you're done, *and* if you're using a big mono topshot, you've got plenty of line to spare to keep cutting and retying rather than having to tie more

I've never tied one. Always done a 3 way rig, which is basically the same thing with a swivel where the spider hitch goes.

One thing I'm not crazy about with the three way rig is that I usually need to make one up the night before, and have a backup in case it breaks off.

Even with the swivel (I tend to use the ones like this ) I have a big issue with twisting. Sometimes I'll pull my bait up and there are 12-20 plus twists in the line and it's pulled the fish in tight to the weight line.

With both the 3 way swivel and knot for dropper loop setup one thing that helps is keep the tag end for your weight very short. And dropping it slow if there’s no current or wind. 4-5’ for tag end for hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:

In my opinion the biggest advantage is strength. Between me and the fish there are 2 knots... a spider hitch and a palomar which are both insanely strong. with a 3 way swivel its just more knots, not to mention the swivel can fail.

But you're right about being able to retie quickly. I can rig one up in 2 minutes. Especially when you hook a fish that finds structure and it nicks your line, you gotta swap it out.

Quote:

Not really. Drop it fast, reel it up slow. It will will only be an issue when there is zero current. This is one of the situations where I *might* consider using a regular DL with a greenback.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #12
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I have some general ideas of what to and not to do, but hit 6 seconds on a PA is another animal. Would love to see you film some of that. I know it would be risky with camera sticking straight up from deck. No chesty strap or head strap?
You are talking about the launch I assume? ya I have some video of me almost biffing it but the light is so low in the early morning the video looks like crap. I am not an expert on hobie launching by any means. But I can tell you i really take my time waiting for the lull in the sets.

I will say this, the biggest issue with the PA in the surf (on the launch anyway) is that the deck fills up with water, then you list to one side.

I thought it would be a real advantage to have a neoprene splash skirt over the fore-deck, just to shed the bulk of the wash from the wave. After you launch you would just stash the skirt in the front hatch.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
With both the 3 way swivel and knot for dropper loop setup one thing that helps is keep the tag end for your weight very short. And dropping it slow if there’s no current or wind. 4-5’ for tag end for hook

+1 on this

12" or less on the loop with the weight.

I say drop it fast when its a big juicy greenback, or you have fast moving marks. Slow drop for sardines or smaller spanish.