Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Rambo

ticket for forgetting my fishing license NPH

Start my day packing n getting stuff ready for fishing. Drop the baby off at my mom by 6am and finally got on the water by 8am. Loading the PA14 is always hard not having enough gears and with all that space you want to bring everything to prepare your day for any species.

Well I got out to the water and my bait tank battery isn't charge at all even when I left it plugging all night. Now my fish finder is acting up, and wouldnt turn due to some poor connection with the cable. So I was like ok, don't need it that much since my buddies had fish finders and bait tank I'm still cool. It was hard making bait and nothing was really biting the whole day. So I drop a live mackerel and troll near the bait barge while DFG approach me.

They then ask for my fishing license and I look at my center storage and said "shit i must have left it in my car." I asked, can i go get since my car is near? They said nope, and bam my rod gets a bite and the DFG said to reel it in. What do you know a legal halibut. Since I don't have my license on me, they released my halibut, and handed me a ticket.

Mad n frustrated, but they doing a good job keeping everyone on check. So I rush over and got to my car and grabbed my fishing license to try for another halibut. But no luck. The one day I forget my fishing license I get cited. And DFG looks at me and say I'm sure you have your license since your kayak looks expensive and with all them gears but since you don't have it on you laws are laws. Can't argue, so I signed and said have a good day!
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
dorado50

the bright side....you didn't leave the baby in the car!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
jorluivil

My license is vacuum sealed
Its in the center hatch of my PA
In the mesh pocket that is mounted right under the door
In a place Where I'll never forget it

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

They are a bunch of zealots, can't believe they cited you.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Jaysuuun
Junior

Sucks they issued you a ticket. Back when licenses were carbon copies, I used to keep the copy in my wallet. It saved my ass from a citation one time when I forgot my license while surf fishing malibu. DFG said it wasn't technically a license but it was proof that I had one so she cut me a break.

BTW I wish the DFG can find out if you have a fishing license by running your drivers license. Don't they swipe that info in when you purchase one?
Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

So I know not having a fishing license vs. not having one on you are totally different and obviously the charges will end up being different. How much will that mistake cost u. I have left my license at home, before but have always opted to turn around and go get it. I'm just curious as to how much not having your license on u will end up costing.

Sucks about the legal. If u wouldn't have gotten approached, that butt would have never bit.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
Jkfish136

Fight

You should go to court and fight it especially you have a lic. They can look it up with your driver lic. Two years ago I got a $860 ticket up in big bear for fishing with no lic. The officer try to look for my lic. By my driver lic. But couldn't find one because I forgot to buy one. I took a day of work drove up to big bear the judge dismissed the ticket and I pay $25 processing fee. Good luck.
Jkfish136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

You break the law...pay the fine.

Fighting a legit ticket.........I dunno.

the guy took it like a man......like he said they are just doing their job.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
Rambo

It's a $25 dollar correction fee plus my time waiting in court for dismissal after the judge see's my fishing license. So it's a waste of my day.

One thing I found out, DFG says, picture on your phone will not save your butt from a ticket. Digital copy (PDF version) if order online will not save your butt from a ticket also. Only the physical printed license is valid.

As of now I dont see why the DFG can just carry a scanner to scan your driver license since they charge all this crazy fees. Im sure they have the funding.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
It's a $25 dollar correction fee plus my time waiting in court for dismissal after the judge see's my fishing license. So it's a waste of my day.

One thing I found out, DFG says, picture on your phone will not save your butt from a ticket. Digital copy (PDF version) if order online will not save your butt from a ticket also. Only the physical printed license is valid.

As of now I dont see why the DFG can just carry a scanner to scan your driver license since they charge all this crazy fees. Im sure they have the funding.
$25 for wasting your time?

How much should the DFG get paid for having their time wasted?

suck it dude.

You forgot your license.

You got a ticket.

Pay the fine.

Don't do it again.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
bubblehide

The DFW officer was either not completely honest with you, or ill informed of the laws he/she is sworn to enforce; or simply knew from your position on the water that the following did not apply to you. There is an exception in the law, intended fro divers, but it applies to everyone recreational fishing. The law states that if you are fishing, and within a certain distance from your car/license, you are legal. unfortunately, I do not recall the specific distance. If you happened to be beyond the specified distance, you are guilty as charged. Obviously, it is much easier to simply pay the fine than fight the ticket, as that will generally take at least 2 trips to the court house; and your still out a halibut.

Easy mistake to make, sorry to here it happened.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
jorluivil

Q: Do I have to wear my fishing license?

A: No. As of March 1, 2010, anglers no longer have to display their sport fishing license on their outer clothing above the waist. However, their sport fishing license must be in their immediate possession while fishing, except when diving as provided inXFish and Game Code Section 7145

I would have to assume that 'immediate' doesn't mean...........

DFG officer: can I please see your license?

kayaker: It's in my car, gonna go get it. be right back.

Insert jeopardy theme song now

Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

A DFG warden up in Northern Cali told me it could be up to $750 fine plus they can confiscate all of your fishing gear if caught without a license... they can even confiscate your boat. I haven't heard of anything that extreme down here but I think it's minimum $100 (plus any local fees) and reduced to $25 if you show proof of license in court.

I wish they had the ability to just run your DL since everything is electronic nowadays anyway. I'd pay an extra $0.05 so they could have funds for scanners.

Keep it in your fishing gear, keep it in your wallet, it's not worth forgetting it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #14
easyday

Every year when I get my fishing license, I get the actual license then I immediately buy 2 more duplicate copies. One in my truck, one in my wallet, one in my life vest. That way ill always have at least one on me and if I lose one I already have 2 backups. its funny to see them out and about. DFG could save so much of their time by hanging out on the pier, while I was fishing for macks for catfish the other night down in Newport. I saw about 50 violations, and had to correct numerous people telling them the fish they were keeping was illegal....
Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

We all know the real reason that fishing licenses are not connected to DL right?

$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Q: Do I have to wear my fishing license?

A: No. As of March 1, 2010, anglers no longer have to display their sport fishing license on their outer clothing above the waist. However, their sport fishing license must be in their immediate possession while fishing, except when diving as provided inXFish and Game Code Section 7145

I would have to assume that 'immediate' doesn't mean...........

DFG officer: can I please see your license?

kayaker: It's in my car, gonna go get it. be right back.

Insert jeopardy theme song now

Okay, either my memory is fallible (no it's not Alzheimers, yet), or they revised the regs. either way, I stand corrected.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #17
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Damn, what ass holes. I saw them checking a bunch of people in skiffs. Most those people in those skiffs don't know spotted bass from Halibut, let alone the regulations. I was just south of the barge, but they never came to check mine.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
jruiz
Large Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkfish136 View Post
You should go to court and fight it especially you have a lic. They can look it up with your driver lic. Two years ago I got a $860 ticket up in big bear for fishing with no lic. The officer try to look for my lic. By my driver lic. But couldn't find one because I forgot to buy one. I took a day of work drove up to big bear the judge dismissed the ticket and I pay $25 processing fee. Good luck.
This is great advice. Fish without a license then when you get checked say I forgot it but I should be in the system. Waste the officers time, the judges time, then drove home feeling like a king since you just screwed the system.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #19
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Damn, what ass holes. I saw them checking a bunch of people in skiffs. Most those people in those skiffs don't know spotted bass from Halibut, let alone the regulations. I was just south of the barge, but they never came to check mine.
Lol suks when they have to do their job
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
JDW

+1 agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
We all know the real reason that fishing licenses are not connected to DL right?

$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sir, you are correct!
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote