Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
jscott

4/18 report

Normally fish Malibu, but forecasted winds were high, so I decided to hit LJ. Left the home at 4am for the long drive. Was on the water by about 6:40am. Surf was wild....pumping and short intervals. I saw about 4 people launch and everyone got Chestfulls of water splash! Cold wakeup! Paddled to the pier to make bait...but the swell was so big I couldn't get too close to the pier. After about 25 minutes I managed about 6 baits and my sabiki was tangled beyond recognition. I start a paddle out toward northwest corner. I see some bird activity way out and hear some chatter accross the radio from the PBER's that they are seeing yellows. I make the LONG paddle out--- I end up in about 160' of water and I sneak on up to the birds which are now sitting on the water-- not flying and diving.

It is now about 8:15am. I had been trolling a weighted mac with 1oz slider on the paddle out...now there I drop a flyline mac--25# test and 1/0 circle hook. Not much more than 5minutes and the flyline takes off! I've been burned before so I wait a full 15 count and put rod in gear and I'm on! (Gotta love circle hooks...this last year has converted me!) I'm pumping and cranking and he's coming up pretty easy-- I figure it's a rat yellow or bonita. Just about when I'm looking over to see color-- I think it realizes it's hooked and TAKES OFF! Burning drag and the sleighride begins! After 4-5 of the same long runs and long cranks back I finally see the beast and in seconds...this is on board!

27# and 40" forklength!
Here is the OTW shot (there is a drop of water on the lens-- so sorry for the blur)

On my iron, I snag a couple of barries-- one I think was legal(I didn't measure)==> both released. I drop another bait down and then before I know it I'm getting snagged on kelp...I look and the south current and wind has pushed me past the point! I pick up the snag and troll only my flyline and figure I'll rework the drift. Did I mention the huge swells? After about 40 minutes of paddle and I'm not even close to half way to the starting point. It is like 10am...and I'm tired of working the washing machine...no one else had caught anything-- no more birds working, so I turn towards in and troll my bait in. I end up with a few cuda raked baits but that is it.

The next exciting part of the day is the landing! I was hoping with High Tide (it was low tide in the am) that we would have some shorter intervals. IT WAS PUMPING! I stowed everything and went for it. I surfed one wave part way in....then surfed the foam partway of 3 other waves before I am in all the way. I don't know how I managed it upright! When the foam came to push me--it turns me and I lean hard! I see water coming in to the yak and I think I'm a gonner-- but I leaned back and the water drained as I'm surfing! WOO-HOO! Exciting end to a great day out for me! On land by about 11:15am. Here is what the surf looked like from dry land.

I saw several yakkers and 1 yakfisherman end up swimming their yaks in. I have this last year had more experience with larger surf, but I still count myself lucky to have made it in dry.
Here are the obligatory beach shots!

LJ has been good to me! But I swear, my best catches seem to come in the worst conditions! Not complaining though! Still smiling today! Had some great fresh YT last nite for dinner...yum! I met some great people today out there...Gary, nice to see you again-- Jimbo and Adi nice to meet you on the shore!
Until next time,
TL All,
Jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

...and another front page material report!!!

Congrats Jason, nice fish!

Good meeting you guys.
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Dan

gotta go, even on the crap windy/swelly days. Congrats on a great fish.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Beautiful post Jason! Great pics and narrative has me all pumped up to get on the water!! Great fish too by the way!! That FND can be a real beast in the surf, way to man handle it!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice job, that is a good grade yeller!

on this reel too...

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
aguachico

Sweet report. That Yt is so big... the sticker fell off your rod. You can use hi-build flexcoat to get it back on the rod.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Nice job, that is a good grade yeller!

on this reel too...

You know what? This stick and reel is the same one I caught my Thresher on in January. Also same setup I helped my buddy land a 21# YT in October. This is a hot stick/reel for me. I've had the reel for over 15 years. Go figure!?!

-Jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
h2ofishfo

who cares what u land it on as long as u land it smithsonian reels are the best ha
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
spongebob_82

NICE !
spongebob_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
You know what? This stick and reel is the same one I caught my Thresher on in January. Also same setup I helped my buddy land a 21# YT in October. This is a hot stick/reel for me. I've had the reel for over 15 years. Go figure!?!

-Jason
That is sweet, can't imagine reeling in a T on that rig, must of been a fun battle... I still like my Penn Jig Masters, as far as I'm concerned, all you really need for La Jolla...

Keep the reports coming!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
jimbofish
Junior

Jason, was a pleasure to meet you- Congrats on being rewarded with the drive down from the San Fernando valley; nice fish, was hoping it would hit 30#'s. Glad to help with some pics on shore- I'm sure we'll see you back down here!!

Adi, pleasure meeting you too, and thanks for the heads-up on the bait-ball you found.

It sure was gnarly out there on Wed am. Hope it lays down soon!!! Jimbo-
Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
BWE
Administrator

Nice fish brotha. Quick announcement for all- if you'd like your report displayed on the homepage you must upload your photos to our gallery at big water's edge, otherwise it kinda throws off the alignment of the front page. OR if you'd like to save us some work, make your photos 552px wide

Thank you for your cooperation. Please await further instruction.
BWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Dennis

NICE! Congrats.
-D
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Bigfoot Suit Guy
Junior

Nice one!!
Bigfoot Suit Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

What made you reply to a year old thread?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
steveooo

Way to stick one and not dump on the way in
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
esdees
The Good Clone

lol

Oh yeah, nice fish Jason.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
gary sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
What made you reply to a year old thread?
I think he wanted to take us back in time when the fishing was good,
or maybe he just came out of his cave and didn't know what year it was.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
steamroll

Finally, a timely report lollol
Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
dgax65
Guerro Grande

All part of the master plan. He recycles old posts to make people think there is a good bite in progress. After several months of this dastardly misinformation campaign, the PBs and the weekend yak fishermen will no longer consider BWE to be a credible source of information.......then the regulars can go back to posting without fear of drawing the crowds.

Brilliant plan.....brilliant, but evil