Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

berkley big game mono... wtf!?

so i had an unopened spool of 30lb mono big game in the garage. spool it on my saltist 40 and the beginning is super twisted, so i deal with that, then as i get to the middle it the line is a lighter green than it was before, then it looks like there's nicks in the line and to top it off, before i could spool the whole reel a loop appeared in the spool attaching two ends of mono... WTF!

so i get a new spool, im spooling it up tonight and there's piece of mono that is stringing off the main line, like it had been melted or not properly spun in its liquid form before being spooled... then a little further there's something amber colored and stuck to the mono... like peices of a melted lolipop...

also, the other day i respooled my sealine 30 with 20lb big game and it looks like it has bubbles in the line around the edges... brand new spool.

i dont know whats going on with this mono, i've never had a problem with big game, and the only other line i use is suffix and usually dont buy it because of cost.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
ctrujillo

Talking

That's why I use izor
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
HatterasCast

Fuck Big Game. Suffix is the BEST! Suffix Superior is nearly identical to Big Game (just better) if yo're hard up for something like the berkley stuff. Suffix Tritanium Plus is their best mono line - Its just extremely difficult to find last I checked. Been grabbing their 832 Spectra which is the shit and some of their SEIGE mono in Camo. Looks great fishes like the Tritanium Suffix I loved on the East Coast. Its virtually the only line to use in Hatteras.
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

Full spool of Seagar Invizix flouro.

Or full spool of spectra, top shot with flouro.

Was a fan of Big Game, but swapped over to Ande. Nvr had a problem with that line.
#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
fknricter

check the guides on the rod. maybe you have a cracked ceramic insert that nicking your line? happend to me once and i ruined a spool of line because of it..
Old 04-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
kantstudien

P-Line or Izorline XXX. Save money by drinking tap water and eating ramen, not buying cheap line.
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
food4less562

Eagle Claw has a great mono line and can usually be had for less than $6 a spool at Walmart. I've never had a problem with it, something you might want to take into consideration.
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Izor, Ande, Maxima, Big Game. They've all treated me kindly over the years.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
taggermike

I'm not a dedicated fan of ay one line and have used many on the market. I can't recall ever seeing any berkley big game like you described. I have BG on my jig stick right now and it is working fine. Maybe the line stored in the garage was older than you thought or your garage gets hot enough to damage it. Like the other poster said, a bad guide can damage line. I've head of pulling a cotton ball through the guides to see if there are any knicks or burrs. I've used Ande over the years and do prefer it. 6-40 lb and thier pluoro too. I know I'm old school but they still make pink mono. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

MAXIMA GREEN
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I'm not a dedicated fan of ay one line and have used many on the market. I can't recall ever seeing any berkley big game like you described. I have BG on my jig stick right now and it is working fine. Maybe the line stored in the garage was older than you thought or your garage gets hot enough to damage it. Like the other poster said, a bad guide can damage line. I've head of pulling a cotton ball through the guides to see if there are any knicks or burrs. I've used Ande over the years and do prefer it. 6-40 lb and thier pluoro too. I know I'm old school but they still make pink mono. Mike
I've been using big game for years, and never had a problem untill these last three spools. granted they came from the same shop (ill look into that after i get off the water tomorrow), but big game has always been good to me, and holds up better than any in the surf.
and also, as far as the damage to the 20lb, i can look on the filler spool and see it, its not a guide, and the 30 being spliced like that... and looking used where it was spliced. thats just wrong. this last spool just pissed me off. i went and got more line from a big retail store and we'll see if anything is wrong with it.