Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
fknricter

penn 500 to 501 coversion

figured this would a fun little project before the cuda's show up, (and hopefully a YT while im at it)
I had a stock jigmaster, about 6 or 7 years old, and wanted to narrow it, but without spending a bunch of $. so i went with a graphite bars and handle, penn 501 spool, and aluminum newell seat and clamp. ended up costing me about 45.00 or so, but i searched on ebay for a while and pieced it together. not too bad in small doses. Also put some Carbontex drags in it, so it has a little bit more balls!
I own a handful of "shiny" reels, but love goin old school sometimes too

Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
HatterasCast

Dude that reel is sick. Nice project.... I have a old Jigmaster (still brand new in the box) out in my garage... You just motivated me to do something like this to that reel. I Accuratized a Penn Senator 4/0 before - The reel was sick but stupid heavy and that was a pricey project. This setup here seems way more practical. The more I look at it, the more I want to do it. Im gonna PM you for some details.
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
ctrujillo

F&a I have been looking into doing this to my jiggys and man it is not cost effective to do it with tiburon and accurate (if you can find them).
I put one piece accurate frames on them years back but don't need those bulky reels on my yak.what model frame and bars did you use.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
fknricter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrujillo View Post
F&a I have been looking into doing this to my jiggys and man it is not cost effective to do it with tiburon and accurate (if you can find them).
I put one piece accurate frames on them years back but don't need those bulky reels on my yak.what model frame and bars did you use.
penn 501 and newell 322 are "the same" as far as spool, bars, and seat.
if newell still had parts available you could just order everything and slap it on your penn. but i thought the scavenger hunt for parts was a good way to make it through winter!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
ctrujillo

Thanks now I can do some searching.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
robmandel

Go to pennparts.com and get the stainless gear sleeve if you plan on drag over 8 lbs. about $25 but worth it totally