Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
sdsr1907

New to kayaking.

He guys, new to kayaking. Just ordered my fs128t from bass pro Monday, should be ready to pick up within the week. I have an elite 4x hdi, bb paddle , onyx a/m inflatable vest to get started. Still in works of finding a vhf and a portable gps unit. Looking forward to fishing with you guys soon and learning wen more. Tight lines!

if anyone has any input on a portable gps unit that you like/use, im all ears. I wanted on to mark points of interest in the bays and lakes for tournamnets and stuff. thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (41.8 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (50.9 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (64.4 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (66.1 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by sdsr1907; 02-20-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: none
sdsr1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
momo fish

Good luck and watch plenty of videos on launching and read plenty of info on this site before asking any questions as most will have been covered a few times... This will also avoid getting called names by some for asking same question the last 10 rookies asked ☺️
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Good luck and watch plenty of videos on launching and read plenty of info on this site before asking any questions as most will have been covered a few times... This will also avoid getting called names by some for asking same question the last 10 rookies asked ☺️
X2. BUT, Welcome to the addiction/insanity!
We are not trying to be rude or elitist, but there are some members that will sarcastically answer with smartass answers eluding to the number of previous posts about the same question that have been asked more times than you can count with every digit/appendage on your body and then some most likely just within the last year.
Looking forward to reading some of your reports/success'.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
StinkyMatt

Ignore the first two replies!

Ask away and most guys will answer your questions.

Yes there will be a few guys that will have some fun with you ...comes with the open forum internet thing.

Yes, read the forums....but do not hesitate a question that may have been asked already.

Information changes...new gear develops.....techniques mature......

What might have been a popular answer a year ago...may totally not apply today. (Example: the ventage seats on the revo and outback will change the opinion on those kayaks vs. the PA)

Welcome, post up your catches.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
(Example: the ventage seats on the revo and outback will change the opinion on those kayaks vs. the PA)
This ..............
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
taggermike

Theres loads of info in the BWE archives to sort through. Youtube has some good videos of fishing as well as surf launching and landing. Kayaking, like most things, is a learning curve. Find a comfort zone and move forward from there. Where are you located? Most guys are open to a paddle out. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Theres loads of info in the BWE archives to sort through. Youtube has some good videos of fishing as well as surf launching and landing. Kayaking, like most things, is a learning curve. Find a comfort zone and move forward from there. Where are you located? Most guys are open to a paddle out. Mike
Thanks Mike I forgot to add that info!
You can always post looking for a fishing/paddle partner on a day your planning on heading out!
My bad!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
echo1er

welcome to the addiction. Start in the harbor and work your way to the surf. Make sure you strap everything down and dummy cord your stuff. I have lost a lot of stuff in the water. Dana Point is a good place to find us guys on the water.

Get Bent and tight lines!
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
Cbad Mike

I use GPS on my ff.
I also have the Navionics app on my phone and it works well enough to get you started plus it's cheap or possibly free.
Looking forward to seeing you on the water soon.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
EastLosYaker

To answer your question about the portable GPS unit, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Elite 4 HDI has GPS chartplotter which would allow you to find spots, mark way points, etc. Don't think you need a separate hand held unit.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
old_rookie

The thing about those inflatable PFDs is if you plan to launch/land at the beach, in the surf, once you flip that thing will inflate and you probably won't need it in 4ft of water.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #12
sdsr1907

Yeah I plan to get another non inflatable jacket as a extra thing to have on yak. The elite 4 comes with gps, but the 4x does not. Thanks I'll look into the phone app. I started mounting the ff last night getting it mocked up and figuring where I want it at, will post pics tonight after work of my slow progress haha. But another question. I went to bps to pick up the yak and didn't see any of the smaller 12v 7-10a battery's there, is there a shop here in sd that carries them? Or should I just do eBay for it. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
sdsr1907

Old 02-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
Saba Slayer

FHS

SDSR...come to the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach...March 4th thru the 8th.
Lowrance as well as all the other major Electronics suppliers will be there and you can see their whole line of goods and get some "professional" advice.
OEX and a few other kayak stores will also be there to show you all their accessories and kayaks. There will be a "LOT" of seminars...the schedules will be coming out soon. I'll be doing a "beginers" kayak seminar for Hobie, titled "Kayak KickStarter" at 6:30pm each day at the Saltwater tank.
I wear an inflatable vest as I feel they are more comfortable. It is a manual inflation. The automatic inflation is not a good idea on the kayak with all the water you come in contact with.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
Oxbeast1210

Welcome I was the one that was messaging you on facebook let me know when you are ready to hit the bay.
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #16
sdsr1907

Ok thanks

Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
kobra

Not sure if your ff is mounted yet but I suggest you fish once or twice before you mount it. That way you will know for sure it won't be in the way or might be better located somewhere else.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #18
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Looks like a nice yak. Good one.

For your FF Mounting, you may want to pick up a pair of the GearTracs. They give you the flexibility to mount and move your FF, Rod holders etc.... anywhere along the tracs.

They are a bit spendy, $65 for two 8" long GearTracs, a nice-to-have, but worth it in my opinion.

*Welcome to the Wonderful World of Kayak Fishing*

....my .02 cents.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #19
fishnfoool

Just ask me

I don't know everything, but I am always honest. If I do not know answer, I can at least point you towards right direction.

Welcome
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
sdsr1907