Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
MWC359

I need new gear

Hello everyone,
Now that I have my PA I need to buy some salt water gear.The only salt water rig I have is a Kencor 5'10" 10-40 model 707 with a older Penn Jig Master. What is this rod orginally designed for and what would be a good secondary rod and real to buy. Ill mainly be fishing out of Dana Point or Newport.

The more I read the threads the less I realize I know about fishing. Any help would be much apprieciated
MWC359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
echo1er

Dana Point good spot!
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Amish Ed

What are you fishing for?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
MWC359

New to salt water so I would like to learn how to fish them all
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
dnichols36

hit up Fishaholic John has everything.
dnichols36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Amish Ed

I'd add a Shimano Cardiff 300 matched to a Teramar TMCX76H. Load it with 40-50lb spectra and put like 10-20 yards of 20lb mono for a topshot. Use that for bass and butts. I'll let somebody else chime in for a heavier setup.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
fknricter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I'd add a Shimano Cardiff 300 matched to a Teramar TMCX76H. Load it with 40-50lb spectra and put like 10-20 yards of 20lb mono for a topshot. Use that for bass and butts. I'll let somebody else chime in for a heavier setup.
X2
Doesn't hurt to upgrade the drags either, I wore out the stock ones, put carbontex in and my 200 is a lil workhorse!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
JeffB

If your willing to spend a little bit of money, look into getting an Okuhma Cedros 273 Cj. It's the size of a small bass reel, but holds as much line as my Curado 300E. I use it in the bay for bass and butts and also use it in up to 225' of water for rockfish with still plenty enough line just in case I hook into something big. I have mine spooled with 15 spectra and a 10yd of 30lb flurocarbon top shot. This little reel is stronger than both my Toriums. As far as rod goes, there are many out there. I make my own rods...

You should also look into getting a Diawa Saltis or a Shimano Torium to add to your arsenal. Both are good reels and would go perfect on a super seeker or even a tarimar jig stick.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
landwhale

Okuma makes the Serrano less money than the Cedros main differance is the gearing at 6.2 to 1 rather than 7.3 to 1. I've used the Serrano for a year now and it outpreformed my Curados by a long way. For fishing bass I stick to straight mono only using braid in real tough structure. To start with look at the Shimano Calarus rods rods and reels add up quick.

For heavier I still use my Daiwa SLD 20 and a Shimano TLD 15 loaded with braid and fluorocarbon top shot rods are tougher depending on what I am fishing for.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknricter View Post
X2
Doesn't hurt to upgrade the drags either, I wore out the stock ones, put carbontex in and my 200 is a lil workhorse!

WOOOOOORD

I have a Shimano Cardiff 400A on a Teramar.........that's my favorite setup.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 03-14-2012 at 06:13 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
StinkyMatt

Its like asking what your favorite flavor of ice cream is.

Assuming you are not filthy rich...

Get a couple of Daiwa SeaLines. Very durable, and the price is great! Many, many guys on here have at least one.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
MWC359

Wow, thanks for all the replys...... any tips on where to buy
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
JeffB

If you want something now, then shop around the local shops. Charkbait gives pretty good deals if you buy both reel and rod and usually throw in free line. If you are in no hurry, then shop around online. That is what I did with the cedros. All the shops around here were asking $250 for it, I found a website that has them on sale for $174, big difference. I know Anglers Choice in PL has some really nice used reels. My buddy picked up a Torium 16 from them for $70 and it was like new.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
taggermike

Those shorter, and usually super stiff, kencors are nice for yo-yo iron fishing. they can be good heavier baitsticks too. Your jig master would work on the kencor but you might like a bigger reel, penn 4/0 or even a used lever drag for slow trolling larger macks. Your cardiff set up should serve you well for bass and halis. Depending on how you like to fish I'd recomend a 25-30lb bait stick and an 8-9 foot jig stick. I'll second the sealines, decent reels at a good price and extreamly durable. Maybe a 30 on the bait stick and a 40 on the jig stick. If you can give your business and money to a local tackle shop or look for some thing used locally. Seeker and CalStar are both made right here in Cali and are always my first choice. If cash is tight you can hit the wallyworld or sports authority for sabers or ugly stick tigers or some thing like that. They're cheap but do work well enough. Some times Big 5 has couplons and crazy clearance sales on sabers. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote