Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Enceladus

Relearning how to cast

I had no idea that learning to cast a conventional reel would be such a pain in the butt! I've been fishing with spinning tackle for over 40 years and am pretty confident with my gear. I just spent that last 45 minutes trying to cast a Penn 146 and am frustrated as hell! WTF?!? How hard can it be? The dude on YouTube made it look easy enough.
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Do you have a tension nob on the reel that will slow the spook down? If so I suggest adjusting it so that the spool doesn't spin too fast just so you can get practice in and build your confidence. As you get more confident loosen the nob so to increase the speed, and then you'll be back in the saddle again.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Croaker Dave

Slow that spook down
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
echo1er

crawl, walk then run method. tension nob.

It took me about half a day to learn how to cast with that type of real. I learn to always keep your thumb on the spool.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
Slow that spook down

Yeah, there's nothing worse than a spook haulin-ass on you
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
fknricter

keep that line wet too!! its always made a big difference for me while practicing at the park,
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Enceladus

Uhh...tension nob? I'll have to look into that. Thanks. I'll wet the line, too. Back at it tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
Uhh...tension nob? I'll have to look into that. Thanks. I'll wet the line, too. Back at it tomorrow.
There should be a chrome nob on the left side of the reel, the more you crank that in the slower the spool will be. Cranked out speeds the spool up.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Enceladus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
There should be a chrome nob on the left side of the reel, the more you crank that in the slower the spool will be. Cranked out speeds the spool up.
Yeah, I found it and cranked it down. Cast it in my house and caught a 9 lb little dog that grabbed the practice plug. Wife yelled at me. The rod went back into the garage.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
Yeah, I found it and cranked it down. Cast it in my house and caught a 9 lb little dog that grabbed the practice plug. Wife yelled at me. The rod went back into the garage.
No humans were harmed in the practice though so you're good.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 03-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Dont forget to apply the brakes!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
taggermike

There a bunch of reels out there that cast better than the penn you are using. Maybe start with a low profile bait caster that has both magnetic and a centrifacal brakes. Set both brakes at max and then work your way to lighter settings. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
yaky yak

Go heavy on the thumb at first. Practice lobbing some weight and then locking it down with your thumb early to prevent a back lash. As you educate your thumb and build up your confidence go for a little more distance.
Learning how to quickly get that bird nest untangled is part of casting too. So no matter how it goes your learning skills.
I just got a seeker 9 ft jig rod. I can cast ok but now I am going for distance while sitting and its like relearning to cast again. I am giving it all I got, and have earned some record braking backlashes for my efforts. All part of the learning curve.
Using heavy lines I think are easier to cast with. At lest a backlash with 40lb mono is easier to get out then with 50lb braid.
Use Zen. Your mind already knows how to cast, it all that thinking that gets in the way.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Enceladus

From what I've been reading on the internet, I've made it more difficult than necessary. Thinking like a trout fisherman where ultralight is the way to go, I spooled the Penn 146 with 15 lb mono -- not the best idea. I did reduce the amount of backlash after following some the advice from you guys. I decided to switch to my Daiwa Sealine 50H that is spooled with 65 lb spectra. The good news is that I didn't have a single bird's nest. The bad news is that I can't get the plug to go further than 20 feet. I don't have the spool tension set very high either. Maybe I need more weight? More practice tomorrow.