Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
leifo
Junior

MLPA coordinates

If any one is good at chart plotting check out pg. 7 of this document. We may be losing more than we had thought. The site is http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/sc_boundaries.pdf Look at pg. 7 and if you have a chart please map it out.

And check this document out on pg. 27 http://www.cacoastkeeper.org/documen...-sept-2010.pdf

Thanks. Leif.
leifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Chuck D

Heres what it looks like on google maps, interesting.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LA JOLLA CHANGES.jpg (77.8 KB, 529 views)
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Already have put them in and the current MPA within the cove and north is going to be extended around a 1/4 of a mile out west. Don't forget pelagic only take in the north Scripps area! HA DONT MAKE ME LAUGH!! The south is the worst part! From big rock down to crystal pier is closed. Hate it!!! Really stupid.

BloodyDecks members are considering occupying the MLPA on Jan. 1, 2012. I'm in. I will be out there and have another with me. Let's get enough people together to make this thing big enough to turn a lot of heads.

BTW Chuck drop the pins to the south shoreline in the cove region.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ins...local-mpa.html
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

BTW Guys there is another meeting at Hubbs on December 15th 8:30 am. Some of the agendas covered are going to include a regulatory calendar, squid fishery management, and law enforcement division updates. If you want to know how they are possibly going to enforce these closures here is your opportunity to speak up and hear what they are going to employ. See you there
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Heres what it looks like on google maps, interesting.....
I also believe the area below the points "3 and 4" is going to be closed also. If you extend the boundry line, starting at the #2 point and drawing it through the #3 point, all the way to the beach at the cove. At least that is how I charted it out. The area that is shown, is only the Matlahuayl State Marine Reserve.. The San Diego-Scripps Coastal Marine Conservation Area is not outlined in the above chart. What a Bummer.

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
fknricter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
BloodyDecks members are considering occupying the MLPA on Jan. 1, 2012. I'm in. I will be out there and have another with me. Let's get enough people together to make this thing big enough to turn a lot of heads.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ins...local-mpa.html
saw this too. was thinking about trying to get down there and add to the parking lot. are people just going to occupy the area? or going to fish it and see what happens??
Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
leifo
Junior

Chuck D.Thanks for the visual. We all hope that is the extent of it, but Geno Machino may be right about the connection. I don't think that anyone who does occupy should have fishing gear out in the reserve. It might make things worse and someone may become an example for the DFG. Anyways, all of this is hard on generational fisherman not to mention all of those who contribute to the healthy sport as guides and captains. Most of our fathers and their fathers fished with freedom and spirituality. Before California my ancestors were fishermen in Norway. Now we are getting the bad rap for mother nature and the voracious appetite of Humbolt squid. Anyways, it is a bummer that they are pushing the boundries. According to the document, it looks like some of the ammendments were made in July of this year. Not fair. Leif

Last edited by leifo; 12-08-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: I wanted to add more.
leifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Chuck D.... Thanks for the San Diego waters. Could you plug-in the Dana Point/Laguna Beach areas too
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
ChefT

I don't see any lines.....

New Years day "Occupy my Ocean" IM THERE
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Or you could go to this link to see the MLPA Closures, just click Map for
any of the listed areas. Interesting that they have somehow 'forgotten'
to include the South La Jolla closure here. Can I keep fishing then until
its added?

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/m/MPA/ListByMa...gementAreaID=3
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifo View Post
Chuck D.Thanks for the visual. We all hope that is the extent of it, but Geno Machino may be right about the connection. I don't think that anyone who does occupy should have fishing gear out in the reserve. It might make things worse and someone may become an example for the DFG. Anyways, all of this is hard on generational fisherman not to mention all of those who contribute to the healthy sport as guides and captains. Most of our fathers and their fathers fished with freedom and spirituality. Before California my ancestors were fishermen in Norway. Now we are getting the bad rap for mother nature and the voracious appetite of Humbolt squid. Anyways, it is a bummer that they are pushing the boundries. According to the document, it looks like some of the ammendments were made in July of this year. Not fair. Leif
hell, sign me up for an occupy the ocean!!

as for the bad rap, the whole process had nothing to do with fish populations, or anything like that. don't fool yourself, or let yourself be lied to by those bastards. those issues never were part of the discussion. there were much bigger issues for those thieves and basically it's the beginning. look, the folks and their money behind it aren't there to make fishing better. they couldn't even give two shits about fish populations. it's about closing off the waters, a perverse combination of extreme environmentalism and private greed.

private greed is fine as long you don't enlist big brother to destroy people's lives and liberties. the free market has a way of limiting what others can do. but this is different. private greed with public force makes for a deadly combination. I still am not clear on their motives. for the rich cunts at laguna, it's locking out the riff raff from "their" beaches. for the developers, it's a pristine coast to sell. for the green nazis, it's...whatever the hell it is, who knows. they're religious zealots. the only thing they lack are box cutters and flight lessons. for now.

why would the packard foundation, the rlff, and others throw dozens of millions into this? that's the question. but it sure ain't about the fish.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
MattRabasco

So I went to the Maps link and it said for Scripps that all fin fish can be taken. Is this new? I thought it was only open for coastal pelagic( bait ). This appears new to me.

Matt
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Matt .... no, those are actually the old regulations. Notice that page also says "Regulations in effect since: 1957". As I mentioned they also completely left out the South LJ areas on that page, so it looks like they have a few things to clean up on that site before planned GoLive date 01/01/12. It would be embarassing if they could not even keep track of all of the closures they are trying to implement (much less, enforce it all).

The official MLPA Area pdf reads:
San Diego - Scripps Coastal State Marine Conservation Area

Option 2 Take of all living marine resources is prohibited
EXCEPT:
�� The recreational take of coastal pelagic species,
except market squid, by hook and line only
Allows scientific collecting under a scientific
collection permit issued by the Department.
Allows operation and maintenance of artificial
structures pursuant to any required federal, state
and local permits, or as authorized by the
Department
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
old_rookie

Additional info here: http://southcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/

You can overlay current and future MLPA areas.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Sneak attack! this link was on my accuweather page.

http://www.somethingsfishyaboutpso.c...FSHptgod1ErISw
Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Funny, I did some perusing, and came to this...

Support the “lethal removal” of “nuisance” sea lions.

And when I clinked on the link, Page error...

I see their reasoning. Don't disrupt the seals habitats, and ban fishing...hell, make sure there is a healthy seal population right in front of the reserve.
That'll solve the problem, the fish will recover and get steroid big from avoiding the (multiplying) hungry seals, then the fish will increase their brain capacity, relocate, create their own artificial reef and ecosystem, and thrive.

Genius!

BTW, I signed up for the newsletter...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Funny, I did some perusing, and came to this...

Support the “lethal removal” of “nuisance” sea lions.

And when I clinked on the link, Page error...

I see their reasoning. Don't disrupt the seals habitats, and ban fishing...hell, make sure there is a healthy seal population right in front of the reserve.
That'll solve the problem, the fish will recover and get steroid big from avoiding the (multiplying) hungry seals, then the fish will increase their brain capacity, relocate, create their own artificial reef and ecosystem, and thrive.

Genius!

BTW, I signed up for the newsletter...

Can you forward me a copy? It helps with my bulimia (sp).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
yakrider

here ya go
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/scmp...scripmatla.pdf

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/scmpas2012/slajolla.pdf

this one is a list of all the new maps and regs
kinda makes me wanna throw up...
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #19
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Where can I fish?

Ok, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed... so does the SMR and the SMCA mean I can't fish those areas? I know what SMCA "No-Take" means, but damn, for Dana Point/Laguna Beach, it's the whole freak'in coastline. WTF?
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
for Dana Point/Laguna Beach, it's the whole freak'in coastline. WTF?
In my opinion the BIGGEST loss for fishermen and the biggest win for them was how extensive this reserve will be.............truly sucks.