Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

4/3 Lonesome La Jolla

Saw a shooting star as I was unloading and later would regret "wasting" my wish on world peace and not a big fat Fn fish Launched into the ankle slapping surf and headed to the pier just as the eastern sky lightened. Saw bait bubbling under the pier light as I approached, turned out to be a horde of grunion, just thick under the lights. Nothing was hitting the sabiki. I finally snagged one and put a couple chunks on the sabiki hooks and got a few greenbacks. getting light, so I decided to take em and run. Out by the second north buoy there were birds and mackeral, so I stopped and grabbed some more to chunk. Finally out around the 3/4, I see the birds going pretty good right around the NW corner. Paddled out too late and no other bird piles. Current started out pretty good downhill, but turned to weak up hill mid morning. flylined mackeral all morning, while throwing plastic and iron. Managed a short ling and 2 rockfish on swimbaits and a sculpin on the iron. Glad I got that pesky "Ironman" submission out of the way I only ran into one other yakker late in the morning. Talked to a pair of freedivers on the beach, who said they had no luck......."but they are out there" was what I was told. Light winds and mixed sun and clouds, pretty water, just need an influx of bait, I saw no bait on the surface all morning.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Cold water and now, no bait. That makes for awfully tough fishing. Better luck next time.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
steamroll

The Bait Tube picture is pretty neat! thanks for the report.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
DaveC

Andy, the water looks real clean in your pictures. It is getting monotonous saying "it's got to bust loose soon". One of these days though.

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote