Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
madscientist

SCI 4/1-4/2

Fished San Clemente yesterday and today, thanks to a ride out and back with Phil on the Knot Now.

Got out there Friday night and anchored in Pyramid Cove. Next morning, after breakfast and coffee, they dropped me over the side and the day began. All the other BDers moved off to other spots and before I knew it, I had the cove to myself. Got a scoop of live squirts from another BDer so I drifted for buts for a while. Could of lost baits but nothing stuck. Wind was down so I figured to go deep while I could. Got out to 200ft but was only hitting on big sand dabs. Was going to head out further but a NE wind kicked up so I headed back into the cove. Wind got up over 10kts and it was getting unpleasant so I grabbed on to some kelp to wait it out. Dropped the rockfish rig down and immediately got hammered but missed em. Rebaited and this time got hammered again. Came up with 2 baby calico's on the bait hooks and this 6-7lb unit on the iron.

Rest of the day was spent trying to go off the kelp in search of better stuff but every time I started to move off the wind would pick up again. That evening several boats rafted up for happy hour, then it was one to anchor for the night.

Sunday was calm from the get go. Phil dropped me off on the east side of the island and I worked back and forth across the escarpment hoping to find some YT. Few good marks but nothing came of it. Found another pocket of toad whitefish and got another half dozen. Scrappy little fish, those whitefish. Left the island around noon for a quick 3hr run back home. Great trip with a good bunch of guys. No love from the exotics but plenty of toad whitefish (2-3lb) and sheephead kept it fun. A couple of YT were caught Sat morning and one WSB was reported, but otherwise pretty slow for everyone. Bottom fishing was wide open though. My total was 4-5 sheephead, a dozen or so whitefish, one rockfish, and that calico.

Misc pics from the island.

madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Dan

Nice. Phil is great, used to work with him. He finds MANY fish when they are offshore....keep in touch with him!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
bigderel
UberMember

Sorry to hear a breezer or two didn't find your line...those last two pics look great, offshore island solitude. And Tecate. Nice!
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
md

i think it's a good idea 2 day's trip' we are going to do one like this to the all porom memeber .
good catch
menash
md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
ski

Nice report Brad. Great pics too!
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
fishinhb

Gotta love that bass :lol:

fishinhb
Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Gotta love those Blackman fish killing machines. Sorry to hear the big bendos were not to be had, only one iron submission?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Sounds like a fun trip. Too bad the big 'uns didn't bite for you.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Gotta love those Blackman fish killing machines. Sorry to hear the big bendos were not to be had, only one iron submission?
I forgot to take pics of the rest. Think I had a scully and a goat on the iron as well. Probably could have gotten the whitefish on one if I cheated and tipped with squid.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Walter

While your fishing and having a beer or 6 in waders how do you take a piss? :?:

Seriously? I've been freezing my ass off without them.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
madscientist

Easy, just roll em down, put your legs over the side for balance, and aim over the side or for a scupper hole.