Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Chizuck

Baja trip - Gonzaga Bay

A buddy and I are planning to treat our ladies to an extended weekend trip to Gonzaga Bay this coming weekend, but have never made a Baja trip before. We'll be hauling two kayaks and all our fishing gear in the hopes of scaring up some species we can't find around here.

Our biggest concern at this point is the road from Puertocitos to Gonzaga Bay. We'll be hauling things down in a 4WD F150 and a Toyota RAV4. We're pretty sure the truck should be able to handle whatever, but are a little more concerned about the Toyota.

Anybody know just how bad the dirt road is?

Any other pointers for some Baja first-timers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
Chizuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
PEMEX

The road was fine as of last August. The rain may have changed that by now, like all baja roads it's a gamble. That area is loaded with Tatuaba, and right now white sea bass. Know how to tell them appart, and keep WSB tails with your fillets just in case. Gonzaga is home to poachers, and if you were ever to get checked, that wouldbe the place. Good Luck!
PEMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
tattuna

The Rav 4 should be fine. Once you pass Puertecitos and hit the dirt road drop your tire pressure down to 12 to 15 psi. Make sure to give a report on how you guys do. I'll be goin there Memorial weekend. Good luck!
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
mojo
Junior

gonzaga

Haven't driven it myself, But plan a trip soon. I hear that the road from hwy 1 is actually better and takes about the same total time.- with good gravel road. We caught a bunch of Cabrilla while fishing off the mothership Jose Andres there last June along with several released Totuava
Am anxious to hear about your trip.
Good Luck
Mojo
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Here's the road south of Puerticitos. This was right around the Baja 1000, so it had been graded. still washboard. Makes for sore teeth.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
tattuna

Mex 1 is a better road, but it's only faster if you're goin to Bay of L.A. I would stick with your original plan if you're only fishin Gonzaga. The bay its self is LOADED with spotties and triggers. You can go a fish a cast from sun up to sun down there, no joke! Those fish are considered pests though. If you want to catch something better, paddle to the outside of the island and fish the rocks. The whole coastline of rocks is loaded with grouper, pargo, and cabrilla too. If you have'nt done the trip before I would strongly suggest picking up The Baja Catch. Very accurate descriptions in there. I can't wait to get down there!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
PEMEX

Forgot to mention a real important thing...semana santa is a zoo! The week after easter isn't as crowded, but the week before is crazy. Be prepared for a block party,not the baja solitude you would be looking for.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
Chizuck

Wow, thanks for all the quick and informative replies. Sounds like it's something we'll be able to pull off. The only remaining thing that concerns me is the reliability of my old truck. Does anyone know if there's a Mexican equivalent of AAA? Some sort of insurance I could purchase such that if the truck breaks down I could call a number and get a tow truck? I guess I might be dreaming here, it's just that the thought of a breakdown 50 miles south of Puertocitos makes me a little nervous...

PEMEX, what's Semana Santa?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
cabojohn
PROBATION

www.discoverbaja.com
I think they offer towing but not 100% certain? You might have to have an insured loss first?
Good Luck.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
PEMEX

Semana Santa is the week before easter, holy week. Millions of people from TJ and Mexicali go down to all the camping spots south on vacation and rage. Spots that are usualy desolate will have people camping. About the insurance issue, if something happens on Mex 1 there is a green angel patrol which goes up and down the road and helps out. I have seen them in San Filipe, but I don't know if they patrol the roads south where the paveed road ends. Don't be afraid of the Army guys at the checkpoints, they are there to help too, and are usually so bored they'll jump at the chance, and have always been real cool to me.
Insurance is a touchy subject. I have heard horror stories of people having to wait a week for a claims adjuster to go out and file a claim. If you make a claim "I'm not positive on this" the police will hold your vehicle untill the adjuster arrives. That's for accidents, don't know about breakdowns. Crowds or no crowds you'll have a good trip.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Chizuck

Crowds, eh? Well, I can't imagine we'll have too much trouble finding a place to put the tent. Maybe we'll even make some south-of-the-border friends.

Anyone have any idea about fuel availability in Puertocitos or Gonzaga Bay?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
tattuna

There's a Pemex station in Gonzaga but I've never seen it open. If you fill up in San Felipe you can make it to Gonzaga and back no problem.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Dupree

Just came back from Gonzaga on Saturday. Took us right around 9 hours to cross the Border at Mexicali.

Pavement becomes intermittent about 30 mi. S of San Felipe where the road turns west away from the gulf and is pretty rough the rest of the way to Puertocitos. There's about 5 mi. of not so rough dirt road S. of Puertocitos and then it's rocky, bumpy washboard most of the rest of the way to Gonzaga. Keep the speed down and you should be OK

Pemex station at Gonzaga was keeing regular hours while we were there and I think that's typical. As far as AAA is concerned, I think you are pretty much on your own once you leave SF, that's why it's a good thing to have 2 vehicles.

As far is fishing is concerned things were pretty slow in the bay and even around the corner outside (although I must admit I didn't work at it that hard). Caught quite a few "pompano", spotties and some short barries in the Bay.

Our best action was a Sierra Mac foamer off of Punta Final. Took a trip up to the S'ly end of the Midriff Islands but things were dead for the most part. We did run into the Jose Andreas while there and they were pitching live squid to a "school of Totoaba". We didn't have any live squirts and Totoaba are supposed to be "protected" anyways so we didn't stick around - despite their offer make lunch for us.

Good luck on your trip. Let us know how you do!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
tattuna

Hey Dupree, did ya drive to Punta Final and launch or make the long paddle? I've always wanted to fish it, but I don't have a 4wd. How was the wind for ya?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
Dupree

Pta. Final

We took my Uncle's boat down to Pta. Final to fish but my son and I also drove down there in the Jeep to take a look around. I think you can get down there and back w/out 4WD but it's always nice to have the assurance of traction when its really, really needed. There was some interesting looking structure down there.

Wind wasn't too bad; up for about 1.5 day while the front went through but it wasn't really blowing as hard as it sometimes does.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
Chizuck

Dupree,

Thanks for the recent report - puts to rest several of my concerns.

Why was the border crossing so bad on the way back? I plan on crossing into Mexico Thursday night and back into the US Sunday night. Any ways to avoid such a delay?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
fishcracker

First timer response,

Fishcracker here with some thoughts on your trip. Been there many times and I will tell you right now you are in for a great time. Go slow, lower your tire pressure, be patient and enjoy the scenery. Oh yeh say hi to coco for me.

The fishing is unbelivable, you will catch a large variety of fish, so bring plenty of different rods and reels for fish of all sizes, 1lb to 100lbs+.Corvina, trigger, yellow tail, grouper, pompano, barrys, needle fish, pargo and just about everything else. Last year I was fishing towards the south part of the bay when my kayak started spinning and moving forward at the same time, I was a little confused since i was not paddling and was fishing in the middle of a huge bait when I turned around to see a 20+ ft whale shark,baylein, pushing me with the bottom of his jaw, which was wide open, I have never been so scared and happy at the same time. She gradually pulled back into the clear blue water and swam directly underneath my kayak dragging her tail along side my yak. Do I jump in and go for a ride or keep trying to hook up with the pack of rooster fish that are around me, I elected to go for roosters.
Knock on wood but I have never had a bad experience down there and always am welcomed with open arms.
Circumnavigate that island and you will know you are in a special place.
Good luck and would love to here from you with photos.
fishcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #18
Dupree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizuck
Dupree,

Why was the border crossing so bad on the way back?
Clarification: It took us about 9 hours from the time we left Gonzaga to get over into Calexico. That included about a 1 hour wait at the border and maybe 40 min. in Puertocitos for breakfast.

D.out