Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

La Jolla Dive Report 4-2-06

Decided to dive today due to the slow goings on pelagics... On Friday fishing, I noticed the water was deep blue, and that the forecast showed today as being sunny... That is a good combination for diving in San Diego. I wanted to do a scouting mission for WSB in the kelp, and check out the reef for bugs for next seaon. I had never went diving off a kayak, but what the hell, how hard could it be? My bro Eddie came over about 8ish, as we figured out the time change in the morning, got a later start, but it didnt matter... The T-120, and T160i both performed well paddling out.

The kelp was sitting low today, another thing I noticed on Friday. Got to the kelp beds, no kelp... well not sitting on top of the water. paddled along, saw some stringers, nothing to do, but get our gear together, and jump in. Eddie is stoked, and getting ready...

I jumped in and found it not to hard to put my BC on in the water, let the air out, and sunk down to the nearest kelp stringer about 10 ft under water, tied up, and we were on our way. Dropped to about 40 ft hit the thermocline, super cold... searched the reef, only saw 2 bugs in 2 separate rocks and that is it! :? Not many fish, one seal, or was it a sealion? Don't know the difference, one steals bait, the other pollutes! :P Great visibility could see the roof at 40 easy. First dive lasted 35 minutes, Eddie was using a borrowed mask and it was leaking. Max depth 40 ft.

Landed on the shoreline saw TD, who reported Calico action, and Dave who reported nada.

Ed got a new mask. Decided to do a 2nd shore dive to the canyon. Dropped down, pretty barren, until we slowly got to 80 ft. SUPER FREAKING COLD!! Saw a big animal bone structure at the bottom, couldn't tell what it was, kind of freaky down there. This was my first canyon dive, didnt notice how steep it was... After looking around, and sucking down air, we decided to accend back up slowly, no safety stop required... Made it to shore. Again great visibility.. Max depth 90 ft, total dive time 40 minutes. Visibility 40ft. (at least)

Ran into Spinal Tap, sounds like he and his buddies had a good free dive in the kelp.

Got to shore, we both decided Kayak Diving has it's difficulties, but is a lot easier than shore diving... wish I had a dive boat, but for now my yak does the job!

Chris 8)
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
scwafish

Nice. Haven't been on the bottle in a long time. Sometimes I kinda miss it, but I love the simplicity of freediving.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote