Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
tstephens3232

RAM vs Scotty

About to start outfitting a kayak I want to stick to either scotty or ram mounts. At first I was thinking scotty bc they seemed to have more options but after looking for some ram stuff they seem to have it all as well. I really just want the sturdiest option. Everything will be mounted on a track system as it comes stock on the yak. Thanks for the input.
tstephens3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Scotty has a stronger lock due to the grooves. Not a big fan of ram for rod holders. Other ram stuff might be ok. But I dont trust them for rod holders.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Scotty has a stronger lock due to the grooves. Not a big fan of ram for rod holders. Other ram stuff might be ok. But I dont trust them for rod holders.
I use ram for my fish finder and Scotty for my rod holder.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like the single piece non-adjustable rod holders that push in the existing rod holder holes - two for the front. Nothing for the back. Strong and simple is the best for me. All the poles I have fit in these two holders.

I peddle an Outback, so I prefer holding my trolling rod in my hands. If you are paddling and want to troll, you may want something adjustable or at a better angle to get your line closer to the water or out of the way of other things.

When I reach behind me, it's easier to grab my gaff, etc., out of the holes in the kayak rather than from extended rod holders.

I had two different Scotty rod holders and didn't care for them. The way they grip the pole is too limiting and would not fit all my poles as I rotate them into use. One was for a fly rod that fit nothing but some fly rods, and the other was for a baitcaster or small conventional reel. It required strapping my pole in with a rubber strap that was a nuisance and it made me nervous about losing my pole if a big fish hit it, or that I would lose time trying to monkey it out of the holder to catch my fish before I lose it. My bigger poles and reels would not fit.

I bought the new multi-purpose adjustable rod holder from Hobie. Too much fiddle-factor so I sold it.

I added two additional rod holders on my Livewell bait tank, bringing the total to 5. That was a good productivity move. It's the best place to stow things straight up and out of the way. Those holders look like the first picture cut off just below the leash clips.

I like to keep my work space simple and clutter free. Nothing more than what I need.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 12-03-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

RAM vs Scotty

Scotty powerlocks on the side for trolling. Works awesome. Ive heard the orcas were good too. I also have the rubber washers and both rod holders to give me infinite amount of adjustment.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
FISH11

I have to say scotty all the way. I recently started using a Jackson Cuda 14 that came set up with Ram ball mounts and the truth is they SUCK. They hold a rod ok but when a fish hits, even on free spool with the clicker on and a slight amount of drag to keep the live mac from taking too much line, the ram mount let's the rod go down no matter how tight you adjust the knob. If the rod wasn't leashed, you could loose the entire rig. Might work on some little spottie but not on game fish or even a lousy bait stealing fur bag. I'm changing out all the ram mounds the cuda came with, to scotty mounts.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
SMartin

I thought the same as you but ended up with some of both. Each company has their own best options, almost like they communicate with each other.
SMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Scotty powerlocks on the side for trolling. Works awesome. Ive heard the orcas were good too. I also have the rubber washers and both rod holders to give me infinite amount of adjustment.
It looks like the new models replaced the rubber strap with a twist lock.

Looks good for under $20
http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-230-GR-...ty+power+locks

Here's the Scotty Orca for $25 with the "fastest pole lock release"
http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Orca-Ho...rca+rod+holder

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 12-03-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

That's a great price on the Orcas. I had powerlocks but switched to Orcas because my rods wouldn't fit in the powerlocks properly. I agree that the ram ball can move when a fish hits, but that could be good sometimes like when a big hali hit my scotty mounted rod while I was relaxing, and almost flipped me I also like the locked ram tubes that come standard on the Kraken. Why limit yourself to one brand? Use gear track and you can mount whatever is good for the current purpose.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
tstephens3232

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably go with scotty anyone have any experience with with rocket launcher style for trolling seems like you could get the rod out of that pretty easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-479-Roc...1ZJAA9ZFQ0MVPK
Old 12-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably go with scotty anyone have any experience with with rocket launcher style for trolling seems like you could get the rod out of that pretty easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-479-Roc...1ZJAA9ZFQ0MVPK
I'm curious too. Do these ever rip off at the attachment point because of the leverage? It seems like a mechanically unsound design to me, bolted into a small area of soft plastic. At least compared to those rod holders that mount by extending to the bottom of the molded pole holders in the hull of the kayak. I don't know that answer because I do not have personal experience with this. I just want to be cautious.

Logically, the leverage against the attachment point comes from a 7' pole with heavy line and the angle at which the holder is set relative to the direction the fish pulls. Maybe that means the shape or length of the part that holds the rod doesn't affect the force of leverage at the attachment point, right?

You know the size of the monsters we dream of catching. It would be sad to lose one because the rod holder broke off or our favorite pole and reel runs away with the fish.

Unless it's for bait fish with multiple poles or lazy-day bottom fishing I like to actively fish with my pole in my hand, including trolling.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 12-04-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Mahigeer

I mounted several flush mount rod holders on my XFactor.

However, I used the backing plate for the one which would be used for a pulley to pull up hoop nets.
http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...ckingPlate.htm
http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...s/trapease.htm

I felt I needed a better attachment for this particular holder.

I have the tube holders too, and I liked it. When I am trolling, I have the conventional reel in light drag with the clicker on.

Thus, no chance of losing the rod or tipping over when the big fish hits the hook.

Of course the rod is on leash as well, unless I am holding it to reel in the catch.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
tstephens3232

Mr. Niceguy - 100% agree with leverage issue (my biggest concern) and to further the risk the kayak I just bought (Native Slayer Propel) comes stock with rail system pretty much everywhere so I'll just be screwing into that for now which make my surface area at the base smaller than the typical 4 screw mounts and probably more weak.

Mahigeer - I was looking at that same thing for hoop netting then I realized i'll probably just my 2 speed accurate atd 30 on an old stubby kite rod (from my east coast days) as winch. Was thinking that one forward facing rod holder that comes stock on the slayer would be perfect for it, we'll see.

Also agree with the trolling in free spool theory.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
wolfman
Wolfman

Rail Blaza pole holders

Before buying anything look at Rail Blaza pole holders. They are fully adjustable and they don't slip, ever, and you don't have to tighten them with plyers
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
YTHunter
Carlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I use ram for my fish finder and Scotty for my rod holder.

x2
Old 12-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #16
FISH11

The rocket launchers are what I was using on my X Factor and now have installed scotty adapters on the two gear track on the front of my Jackson Cuda so I can use them on that. I like them and yes it's fairly easy to remove the fishing rods depending on the angle you adjust them at. It can be a bit harder if you need to reach because they are out to the side of the kayak. Also I don't quite like the flex on the gear tracks vs bases mounted to the kayak but the Cuda does not have a very large flat surface on the side of the kayak by your legs.

Last edited by FISH11; 12-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
Mahigeer - I was looking at that same thing for hoop netting then I realized i'll probably just my 2 speed accurate atd 30 on an old stubby kite rod (from my east coast days) as winch. Was thinking that one forward facing rod holder that comes stock on the slayer would be perfect for it, we'll see.

Also agree with the trolling in free spool theory.

Thanks for the input.
Can you put 100 feet of rope on the Accurate reel? Even if you do, that is good for one hoop net.

Maybe I did not understand your method.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #18
JohnMckroidJr

Ram and Scotty both have areas they are better for. Like some of the other's have posted: scotty for rod holders, Ram for fishfinder. If something unexpectedly hits your fish finder, you will be glad that you went with ram, as it will move instead of breaking. Railblazers have quick release, which might be useful for camera mounts...another mount to consider.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote